Bobby Broom

mikeweil

I waited six months to get this:

530.jpg

and it was worth the wait. Someone (Soul Stream?) recommended this in another thread (Rodney Jones?) and I ordered this from Amazon.de, but they were unable to get it! I ordered it from Delmarks mail order partner JazzRecordMart and got it within ten days .....

Jim Sangrey would like this: with Ronnie Cuber and Lonnie Smith Broom has two members of the 1960's George Benson quartet on board, and the former has not been playing with such a groove for years. (Broom acknowledges the Benson LPs as a source of inspiration.) Idris Muhammad handles the drumsticks.

Well, I like it too and recommend it and invite discussion of this and Broom in general: I also enjoyed his playing in Kenny Burrell's three-guitar band, so could it be there is another great player that hardly anybody talks about?! This organ records swings as hard and is more inspired than most I've heard during the last ten years! (If it had the slightly crisper and warmer sound of Javon Jackson's last Palmetto CD with the Turbanator, and this the groove of Broom's, we would be in Hammond heaven ...).

Edited by mikeweil

I will definitely seek out Modern Man. I was introduced to Bobby Broom with the CD Stand, on Premonition. The album concept is songs that he listened to and was influenced by throughout his younger days. Songs include Stand (Sly Stone), House of the Rising Sun, The Letter, Happy Together, Monday, Monday and Lennon and McCartney's I Will. Don't let some of those titles scare you. Broom's arrangements are brilliant and he cooks with Dennis Carroll on bass and Dana Hall on drums. Recommended. B)

Broom expressed some dissatisfaction with his two Criss Cross Cds in the liner to Modern Man: they were one shot deals, six hours in the studio to get it down, that was it. "The magic was not there", he put it. But if you find them to be that good, imagine how Modern Man grooves ....

Great CD! I have Stand as well and really love it. He's one of the few guitarists out there right now that really catches my interest...he's got his own thing going and he's much more interested in what he's saying than how many chops he can throw in at any given moment.

Gotta love the backing band on this one! Well hell, if it worked for George Benson....

Well Canaan is within driving distance....of course the one time I went there I lost control skiing down this hill and ran face first into an electrical pole!!! Don't think I'll be repeating that anytime soon! :blink:

As for landing...I'm here now, but who knows where the wind will blow me next.

• 1 month later...

I was introduced to Bobby Broom with the CD Stand, on Premonition. The album concept is songs that he listened to and was influenced by throughout his younger days. Songs include Stand (Sly Stone), House of the Rising Sun, The Letter, Happy Together, Monday, Monday and Lennon and McCartney's I Will. Don't let some of those titles scare you. Broom's arrangements are brilliant and he cooks with Dennis Carroll on bass and Dana Hall on drums.  Recommended. B)

I received Stand! on Chistmas Eve and it is one of the best guitar albums I have heard in many years. He makes me listen to pop tunes I hated (because you couldn't but hear them every day on the radio) or rather his brilliant improvisations on them. Very original treatments. His solos are variable, spontaneous, full of unexpected turns and catch my interest more than Peter Bernstein or other comparable guitarists. The trios interplay is great - e.g. the way the play The Letter in 5/4 and take it out as a blues - you miss something if you never listen to that album! Highly recommended!!!

cover.jpg

Premonition Records

Bobby Broom website

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 years later...

Just bringing this one up for air and a reminder. If you are a fan of Organ Jazz, you need to pick up Bobby Broom's "Modern Man." I was a fan of this one from the get go, and as the months, years have gone by I realize this is one of a handful of "modern"(80's and up) organ jazz recordings that I find totally within the tradition, exciting and always a joy to listen to. This one seems to have gone totally unnoticed by everyone. Perhaps because "Stand" was released at the exact same time. Too bad, this is one of the best organ dates in several decades.