Pete Rugolo

Can anyone recomend any of his albums? One of my local record stores recently pulled out another batch of lps from their overstuffed wherehouse and there were a bunch of Pete Rugolo albums in the cache.

Any of his Stan Kenton stuff. There should be a compilation focusing on Rugolo but I haven't found one yet.

Of the Mercury albums, I especially like "Richard Diamond" and "Percussion at Work."

The earlier Columbia albums all have good moments but they are hit-or-miss.

If you can find "Behind Brigitte Bardot" on WB, buy it - and then promptly give it to me! ;)

"The Sweet Ride" soundtrack (MGM?) is great in a groovy 60s kind of way.

OH, and his late 90s soundtrack "This World and the Fireworks" is on CD and routinely pops up for short dough.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Can anyone recomend any of his albums? One of my local record stores recently pulled out another batch of lps from their overstuffed wherehouse and there were a bunch of Pete Rugolo albums in the cache.

I kind of like Reeds in Hi-Fi - ten woodwind/saxophone players and rhythm section. It's got a little of that late-50's bachelor pad corniness to it, but to me that's part of its appeal. It's also got some imaginative writing and solos by Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, and Barney Kessell, among others.