Who's Riding?

Corbins have a reputation for being "hard" in comparison to the puffy pillowy type of touring seat.

That reputation is well earned. The ones that I've sat on were as hard as a rock. If I wanted a hard seat, I would simply stick with my stock Vic seat - it's pretty stiff.

Be warned that Corbin's up for sale and are rumored to be on the verge of bankruptcy. In the past few weeks, there have been several false alarms about them closing shop. They also have a reputation for truly atrocious customer service, so you better hope that you don't ever need them.

Quite honestly Lon, if you hadn't already ordered a seat from them, I would recommend against it. People on line are complaining about them left & right. Their delivery time has gone through the roof. You should see if you can cancel the order. There are a lot of guys out there mod'ding seats and I would look into that if Mustang isn't for you. Spencer's Seat Mods are very inexpensive and are highly regarded.

BTW, I bought my Mustang two-up seat used from eBay. I bought it for my wife, not me. I was more than happy enough with the stock Vic seat. She wanted a more comfy ride with a tall backrest. This Mustang seat has that.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your advice Kevin but quite honestly I've sat on Mustangs and not liked them much, and I sat on a different model Corbin touring seat and it was stiff but less so than their non-touring seats, and I liked it, so I ordered the model for my bike, which looks pretty nice on the bike and appears to be one of the best made seats I've seen.

Out in the garage I have a Corbin solo seat for my old BMW R65. I no longer have the bike, and the guy I sold it to, like me, did not want a solo seat on that bike and just let me have it. I like hard seats, its the nicest made seat I've ever seen, I just always want a bench for a passenger and/or (in the case of the BMW, I have saddlebags that I love on the Fat Bob) strapping stuff onto. I have taken a lot of what I read on the web with grains of salt. . . . About Mustangs, about Corbins, about Victorys. . . :)

I'm glad you're happy with your Mustang. I may well be happy with my Corbin. I have no intention of canceling the order.

That's a fine looking Indian. I drove an old Harley with the foot clutch, tank shift, etc. once in Ohio. It was a harrowing ten miles. One could get used to it, but the modern set up is more pleasurable!

Interested in selling that Corbin solo, Lon? I'm sure it would be a bolt-on for my /5... :)

Thanks for your advice Kevin but quite honestly I've sat on Mustangs and not liked them much, and I sat on a different model Corbin touring seat and it was stiff but less so than their non-touring seats, and I liked it, so I ordered the model for my bike, which looks pretty nice on the bike and appears to be one of the best made seats I've seen.

Out in the garage I have a Corbin solo seat for my old BMW R65. I no longer have the bike, and the guy I sold it to, like me, did not want a solo seat on that bike and just let me have it. I like hard seats, its the nicest made seat I've ever seen, I just always want a bench for a passenger and/or (in the case of the BMW, I have saddlebags that I love on the Fat Bob) strapping stuff onto. I have taken a lot of what I read on the web with grains of salt. . . . About Mustangs, about Corbins, about Victorys. . . :)

I'm glad you're happy with your Mustang. I may well be happy with my Corbin. I have no intention of canceling the order.

That's a fine looking Indian. I drove an old Harley with the foot clutch, tank shift, etc. once in Ohio. It was a harrowing ten miles. One could get used to it, but the modern set up is more pleasurable!

Here's my Dad on his 1951 Indian 80 cubic inch Chief. This is on display in the Springfield Museum in the Indian section. I hope to ride it someday. I just don't know if I can handle the left hand throttle, right hand spark advance, left foot clutch and right side stick shift. :)

I miss ya Dad,

Kevin

Wow...another beauty! But spark advance, stick shift....I think I'll leave riding that one to you, Kevin!

Mark, you can still buy bikes like that. I think some of the Sportsters qualify (a friend has an '09 Nighster, fantastic bike) and have you seen the Urals?

2009_Harley_Davidson_Sportster_1200_Nightster_motorcycle.jpg

2007-Ural-RetroSoloa.jpg

Personally I consider my bike neither a cruiser nor a sport bike.

Edited by jazzbo

Well, instead of taking six to eight weeks, my Corbin seat came today, just two weeks after ordering.

It's a beautiful seat! And just how i like it comfort wise. And my riding companion is going to be very comfortable, this is a real touring seat for a passenger, safe and comfortable. Glad I got this! It also positions me perfectly, moves me back about an inch and up about an inch.

Peter, the Corbin seat for the BMW is in pretty good shape. However, it's not really a solo seat, it's sort of one, it has a deep bucket rider seat and a tapered passenger seat behind it. . . . sort of a sport tourer seat maybe. You may want to ascertain that it will fit your bike. . . it came off a 1985 R65. It will be a bear to pack and ship so no sense doing it without certainty.

Mark, you can still buy bikes like that. I think some of the Sportsters qualify (a friend has an '09 Nighster, fantastic bike) and have you seen the Urals?

I've only seen the Urals in photos, and haven't heard (or read) anything about them from non-media people who have actually ridden them, so I'm pretty much in the dark. As for the Sportsters, well, I've heard from a lot of people who've ridden them, and the vibration problems alone are enough to scare me off. If I'm ever seen on a Harley, it'll be a Fatty or a Road King. Just as soon as that lottery ticket pays off... :lol:

People totally exaggerate the vibration of the Harleys, the Sportsters don't vibrate that badly. They have rubbermounted engines, with three braces to the frame. Awesome bikes, very exciting. I like bikes to be exciting, not smooth and unengaging.

I've ridden a Ural around the block and sat on many models in a bike show. Very very much like BMWs, which are wonderful bikes.

People totally exaggerate the vibration of the Harleys, the Sportsters don't vibrate that badly. They have rubbermounted engines, with three braces to the frame. Awesome bikes, very exciting. I like bikes to be exciting, not smooth and unengaging.

By comparison, Harley's shake a lot. No other bike company is using that shake as a selling point. As to the amount, it depends on the bike's year and model. The problems I had with the shake was that the rear-view mirrors were useless at highway speeds. The shake gives people fits on longer rides. There also the usual problem with all bikes of having parts staying where there supposed to be. Vibration is not a good thing in most cases.

Personally, I hated the shake. I liked the ride and the seating position, but that wasn't enough to get me over the shake.

Thank god I saw that random Victory commercial last year. They don't run commercials too often. I was all ready to buy a Kawasaki or Honda V twin, but I wanted to buy a US bike. I even put my name on the re-born Indian's mailing list. Then their price list came out. $30K! Big Dog? Cool looking but no way I'm riding a Mastiff for hours. And they are hot, hot, hot.

I made the right choice for me and I can highly recommend it. I am really liking my Victory Kingpin. This weekend, I put almost 500 miles on it, driving the length of Massachusetts and back again. Yesterday for the ride home, my 71 year old mother hopped on the back. :) I hope I can ride 200 miles when I'm 71. She said it was a nice ride - the new Mustang helped for sure, but it is a very smooth rider.

Kevin

Kevin, all I can say is that there was something wrong with the bike you rode if the mirrors shook at highway speed. Categorically, something is wrong. I have ridden five Harleys, and none did that. Nor did things "fall off." There's a lot of BS about Harleys. With the True-Track stabilizers I installed this year my bike hardly vibrates at all. Not much more than my R90 didl Still it's not smooth. I hate "smooth," it's dull, lifeless, boring. And I don't like the looks of Victory at all. So I've got the right bike for me.

Peter, I think it's likely that the seat will fit. I'll get a photo soon.

Edited by jazzbo

Hey Mark. . . really? I mean Road Kings are great bikes, and so are Fat Boys (I think that's what you mean by a Fatty) but the handling. . .stodgy on both. I'd think you liked something more agile like a Sportster or Dyna Glide.

I've never ridden a bike, but in my home town we have a Harley showroom. For an insignificant town like mine I've always thought it a bit incongruous, but we have a Lamborghini showroom too, so what do I know?

On our Sunday run to the supermarket we pass this showroom. The car park (bike park?) is always full of bikers. Yesterday was particularly busy - I think there was an organised St George's day ride starting there (they even had a couple of police on hand.)

It always looks quite exciting, with a fair hint of menace, what with all the bikers eyeing up anyone who rides onto the premises.

I wonder if the showroom ever sells anything, or if it just acts as a meeting point. I'd venture the mobile burger van does more business!

Hey Mark. . . really? I mean Road Kings are great bikes, and so are Fat Boys (I think that's what you mean by a Fatty) but the handling. . .stodgy on both. I'd think you liked something more agile like a Sportster or Dyna Glide.

Well, it's all talk to be honest; I can't see myself ever buying a Harley, and I'd certainly want to try them out beforehand. Still, I'm sure I'd be happier on either of those (and live longer) than on a Hayabusa or something... :lol:

If I'm completely honest with myself, with the financial difficulties I went through, and basically "starting over" at fifty, I have to admit to having doubts that I'll ever have a bike again. Maybe I could swing it by the time I'm 55, but do I really want to get back on a bike at 55? I suppose it would be doable living in a small town surrounded by farmland like I am now, but still, I have to wonder. I miss it, but then I miss a lot of things. Other interests come along, and maybe that's just the way it goes...

Edited to add...

You know what's really perverse? I think I miss working on a motorcycle just as much as I miss riding one. I had more fun with my down-80%-of-the-time '82 Yamaha than I had with my reliable '06 Kawasaki. Maybe I should just find myself a junker that still has decent compression and dive in.

Edited by Jazzmoose

Well, I'm 53 and started riding again after parking my bike for my wife 19 years ago. And I'm loving it, and I live in a city with pretty bad traffic. I'm just loving it. I've always liked riding bikes MORE than driving any car. Even my '64 Alfa Romeo Spyder.

So. . . yeah, you can do it. You might like it. Especially if it isn't a bagger . . . I think with your past biking you'd just let the bagger park itself after a while. A Sportster, a Dyna, if you can handle the looks a Victory. . . I'm trying to buy American silly as it is, so I'd recommend those.

I know what you mean about working on the bikes. I was actually sort of happy I left my headlamp on and ran my battery down last month. It was fun to do just the simple task of taking the seat off, getting the battery out, recharging it, etc. And it made me do a few other things. I even looked at my '74 R90/6, parked in the back of the garage, not running since 1988. . . though I said "Nah." :)

I haven't had to do anything to the Fat Bob. I got it with an extended warranty that covers the first 30,000 miles services and nothing has gone wrong in a year and a half.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I put hours and hours on the Corbin seat. Unbelievable. The most comfortable seat I've ever had. So glad I ordered it. So, despite what Kevin read on the internet, I have had a very very positive experience with a Corbin seat.

With the True-Track and the Superbrace installed on my Fat Bob I'm getting the type of handling I wanted but didn't really have the right to expect out of the stock Fat Bob. And I'm really enjoying riding and I'm building up to a road trip. . . . ;)

I'm sorry to hear that Corbin may be having problems - I had a Corbin Gunfighter on my '81 Honda CB750/836F that was a very nice seat. I sent it back to Corbin to have it reconditioned some years ago before I put my bike into what I thought would be a short-lived storage but has turned into a much longer one that will almost certainly require going through the bike head-to-tail before it's roadworthy again.

I don't have a pic of mine, but I found this pic of one that's almost identical - same seat, same Kerker 4-into-1, K&Ns on tweaked CB900F carbs. Mine still had the stock Honda paint job; it was previously owned (and built) by a friend who used to roadrace in WERA events in the late 70s/early 80s. Last of a storied lineage of great aircooled Honda fours, dating back to the original '69 CB750.

0616071619.jpg

Looks like a cool bike. I had an air-cooled Honda four in my first street bike, a Honda 400-Four I think it was called. A reliable and sporty fella. Had many fun miles on it, including a cross-country trip, believe it or not.

Mine looked like this, without the mudflap.

honda_1977_cb400f_400cc.jpg

My mom thought it was a great color of blue. She was really opposed to me getting a street bike, she was okay with me riding dirt bikes, but when she saw this she thought it was so pretty and the heat was off. :) I wasn't living at home but I was still living around. She started buying me things for the bike that matched the color, like a back pack and rain wear. Freaked me out at first but was better than lectures.

Edited by jazzbo

Looks like a cool bike. I had an air-cooled Honda four in my first street bike, a Honda 400-Four I think it was called. A reliable and sporty fella. Had many fun miles on it, including a cross-country trip, believe it or not.

Lon, believe it or not, my first street bike was a Honda 400F as well! They called it a "Supersport". The wildest thing about this similarity is that they only made a few of these bikes and they only made it for 3 years. Pretty funny. They're a bit of a collectible today.

What is everyone wearing for riding gear out there? I have 3 jackets, two leather and one mesh. Surprisingly, I find myself grabbing the mesh jacket all the time. Even when it's cold, it's warmer that the leather. Unzip the liner and it's much cooler than the leather. I bought a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 (they're up to 5.0 now). I paid only $100 last year. Considering what they're getting for leather jackets, a bargain.

My bike crossed over 1,500 miles a few weekends ago and it's like a new bike again. It's even smoother than before. Quieted down too. I am really digging this bike.

I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. I'm enjoying mine more and more as it gets miles on it and I get it set up as I like. And I've always loved the looks of it, and the feel of it.

Those 400-Fs are fun but I'm glad I don't have one now. My bike is so much better in all ways! But I loved mine then. It was very very good to me.

I ride all year round and so I have lots of jackets. I have two L. L. Bean replica WWII flight jackets, I've had at least one of these for over twenty-three years. One is insulated with 3M thinsulite and the warmest jacket I've ever had. I also have two Harley denim jackets, one with a button out fleece chest lining. I also have a Harley "fatigue" style jacket with a quilted lining, very warm and very practical with lots of secure pockets. I have three Levi's denim jackets, one flannel-lined. I have two canvas zipper jackets for warm weather driving. Starting about this time of year most of the jackets get hung up and left alone for four or five months unless I take to the road for days or do a lot of night riding.

I haven't ever had a mesh jacket to use on th road. I may look into one of some type with a bit of armor if I find one that is REALLY light enough for summer here. I hear people talk about them as being cool enough for Texas summers. . . but I've never actually found anyone to verify that. Very very very few riders wear jackets here in the summer. Period. I know we should protect our skin.

I was given a Vanson mesh jacket with armor as a gift, very nice, but too small for me, and too warm for summer use really, sorry to say. I'll have to look into a kevlar mesh shirt or something. Maybe. It seems so. . . well it's not the kind of thing I'm used to.

Edited by jazzbo