If You Thought Blue Note Typos Were Bad

Dan Gould

img_0113.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, after seeing this seemingly very unique LP in one of the album cover threads, I went searching and found a reasonably priced copy on Ebay. Most of us figured "Billy Wiggins" would of course be Smilin' Billy Higgins, perhaps with the name changed due to some contractual obligation.

Well, the LP just arrived, and they spelled his name right on the back cover.

They just didn't catch the mistake on the front. :blink::wacko::unsure::crazy:

post-42-1240600185_thumb.jpg

speaking of BN typos . . . I just picked up the RVG of Tina Brooks's "True Blue." The original liner notes are printed normally, but when I opened the booklet all the way to see the Blumenthal notes, I noticed that they'd printed the Blumenthal notes for Blakey's "A Night in Tunisia" inside. Has anyone else seen this? Has there been any previous discussion of this printing error on this board? (I did a search but I didn't immediately see any relevant discussion).

img_0113.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, after seeing this seemingly very unique LP in one of the album cover threads, I went searching and found a reasonably priced copy on Ebay. Most of us figured "Billy Wiggins" would of course be Smilin' Billy Higgins, perhaps with the name changed due to some contractual obligation.

So what's the verdict on this, Dan? (I'm primarily interested in Rosolino's contribution).

So what's the verdict on this, Dan? (I'm primarily interested in Rosolino's contribution).

I'm embarrassed to say that its still awaiting the first listen - but its first in rotation this weekend for sure. :blush2:

Has nobody else seen this? Does this mean that my copy of "True Blue" is extraordinarily valuable?

Forgot to check...probably will forget to check again. :blush:

Finally got around to checking and indeed, its the notes for True Blue

And my RVG copy of Oblique also has the correct spelling of Herbie Hancock's name on it too.

Finally got around to checking and indeed, its the notes for True Blue

And my RVG copy of Oblique also has the correct spelling of Herbie Hancock's name on it too.

Thanks for checking. Looks like my copy is indeed extraordinarily valuable. Would anyone like to give me outrageous amounts of money for it?

I had an RVG of Freddie Redd Shades of Redd that I got from BMG that listed his name as "Freddie Redo" on the CD.

I also have two copies of Horace Silver Further Explorations (also from BMG, my original order and also the replacement they sent) that list him as "Horace Smith" on the CD.

Perhaps I should list the Silver on eBay as a rare misprint and see if anyone bites...

img_0113.jpg

Sorry I took so long but I did finally transfer this one two weekends ago.

The unfortunate truth is that those looking for a lot of solo space for Rosolino or Perkins will be disappointed. The young organist gets the vast majority of solo space. He's also never heard Jimmy Smith and this LP could easily have been recorded in the late 40s instead of the late 50s. Very orchestral in his approach, chops galore, and not ice rinky dinky for the most part.

Overall, nice, but not the great LP I was hoping for.

• 5 years later...