Don Pullen and George Adams

Hardbopjazz

I am an Adams Pullen fanatic. Glad to say also that I got to see them 3 times, 2 at the 1369 Jazz Club in Inman Square (is that Cambridge?) and once at a noon time concert in Providence. Favorite studio recording for me would be Life Line on Timeless. Also, from one of the Palcoscenico lp's is a stunning version of God Bless the Child, a big favorite. I don't think any of the studio recordings approach the level of excitement generated at the live performances I saw (excepting the mid day concert held at a building in Providence with terrible boomy sound, I have some pictures I'll try and post later). With the advent of file sharing there are quite a few broadcast performances of this group available in pretty good sound, even a video or two.

I was poking through Brian Priestley's Mingus biography the other day and was checking out the discography. Has there ever been any talk of issuing the rest of the Carnegie Hall date from the early 70's where Rahsaan Roland Kirk guests?

Love these guys! Got the Mosaic and all the Soul Note and Timeless stuff. Always exciting music! :)

The fact that there hasn't been a reissue of the full Carnegie Hall concert makes me wonder if Atlantic even has the tapes anymore.

I would really like to have that full Carnegie Hall concert on CD...

Edited by Kyo

British Conservative politician and former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kenneth Clarke (yes, the name's the same), included an Adams/Pullen track in his favorite "Desert Island Discs" on BBC Radio 4. He'd seen them at Ronnie Scott's.

I saw them there too. Must have been either 1982 or 1983. Dannie Richmond was on drums and Cameron Brown on bass I think. Around the same time I also saw Mingus Dynasty with Pullen and Richmond, plus Johnny Coles on trumpet/flugel, Aladar Pege on bass. Not sure if it was Adams on tenor (probably was). I always thought that Ken Clarke looked sort of familiar so quite likely I saw him in the audience at Ronnie's polluting the air with his cigars :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 years later...

Is anyone here familiar with the bootleg Live In Tokyo 1984 (Flock Records) available from the Jazzmessengers

I'm interested in the sound quality and on what tracks Adams sings (the less the better).

(Ginza Yamaha Hall, Tokyo, Japan, November 14, 1984.)

I'd suggest removing the link , given the policy here regarding bootlegs. Ok to discuss but not link Edited by Clunky

(Sorry, original post removed, new kosher link provided. ;) )

Is anyone here familiar with the bootleg Live In Tokyo 1984 (Flock Records)?

I'm interested in the sound quality and on what tracks Adams sings (the less the better).

http://www.donpullen...disco/tokyo.htm

1. City Gates (Adams) 18:40

2. Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love (Mingus) 16:58

3. Seriously Speaking (Adams) 8:16

George Adams (ts,fl,voc)

Don Pullen (p)

Cameron Brown (b)

Dannie Richmond (dr)

Rec. 14.11.1984 live at Ginza Yamaha Hall, Tokyo, Japan

CD: Flock Records FLK-32019 (2012)

tokyo.jpg