favorite female JAZZ artist??

jazzlovr1990

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, there's no point in continuing this exchange, Chuck. :)

But you know, my post about "MALE jazz artists" was intended to be tongue in cheek, not a serious question.

OTOH, I do think that qualification by gender is kind of silly. (Regarding any genre, or any of the arts, for that matter.)

Fair enough? :)

With all due respect, mjzee, I really don't care what you think about me.

If you're annoyed or think I'm attempting to censor something, I suggest you contact Jim Alfredson rather than making accusations here on the board. You seem to be insinuating that I am "another censor." ???????!

My opinions are what they are, and I don't see what harm they pose to you.

Edited by seeline

Look, there's no point in continuing this exchange, Chuck. :)

You know, if I was in Confrontational Spouse Mode, I'd retort that there was really no point in starting it either, but that didn't stop you from doing it... :g

But LTB has been out of town now for almost two weeks, her 92 yr old mom had quadruple bypass surgery, and it'll be a while before I muster up the confidence to go there again.

My opinions are what they are, and I don't see what harm they pose to you.

Much like those of this thread, eh?

Hey, here's one - favorite JAZZ songs about fruit. Watermelon Man, Strange Fruit, Apple Honey, there's potential there AND it's non-gender-specific!

I bet I'm not alone in being tired of provocations - that Getz thread, ongoing personal battles, the whole megillah.

I did ask Jim Alfredson to reset things so I can't see the political and religious topics anymore, but man... they're not the only tough places here. (am not accusing you of anything, JSngry, btw, just sayin'...)

As for "other censors," I am not involved with any moderating decisions here - for mjzee - so I think your comments really should be sent to Jim A. rather than posted in this thread, directed at someone who has nothing to do with board admin and mod stuff.

As is, I'm not sure that digging up an old thread is helping move things forward on this one.

Best to all,

s.

Edited by seeline

Think what you want, Jim.

I'm getting tired of the fights and pettiness here, to be honest.

Hell, I've been tired of that - for years!

Really, it's one big joke, this notion that We Can Change The World Through A Jazz Bulletin Board. Interesting/useful information can be exchanged, product can be moved, gut other than that, it all comes down to sitting around talking bullshit to one degree or another, even when it gets "serious". So "pettiness" is pretty much a forgone conclusion for anything not dealing with hard facts or cold cash. It's just a question of scale from thread to thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, I'm an incredibly petty person myself, but hey, let's just keep it real, that's all I'm saying.

And is it just me, or does the internetz seem to be a haven for people who raise a provocation where there was none and then get bruised about there being a provocation?

Then again, maybe that's just real life...

And oh yeah, back on topic - one more 'gin for Francesca Tanksley!

Think what you want, Jim.

I'm getting tired of the fights and pettiness here, to be honest.

Hell, I've been tired of that - for years!

Really, it's one big joke, this notion that We Can Change The World Through A Jazz Bulletin Board. Interesting/useful information can be exchanged, product can be moved, gut other than that, it all comes down to sitting around talking bullshit to one degree or another, even when it gets "serious". So "pettiness" is pretty much a forgone conclusion for anything not dealing with hard facts or cold cash. It's just a question of scale from thread to thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, I'm an incredibly petty person myself, but hey, let's just keep it real, that's all I'm saying.

All very good points, sir! :)

It was the "another censor" thing... I realize there's been a lot of contention on this board over the past few weeks, though I haven't been following it.

A few artists (instrumentalists) - and I'd like their work if they were men. ;)

Mary Lou Williams

Maria Schneider

Clare Daly

Geri Allen

Ingrid Jensen

Jane Ira Bloom

Annette Peacock

Rebeca Mauleón

Akua Dixon Turre

Susie Ibarra

Jenny Scheinman

Toshiko Akiyoshi

Eliane Elias (as a pianist, not as a singer)

Carla Bley

Marie McAuliffe (does anyone know if she's still gigging in the NYC area?)

and there are more. Must cogitate a bit!

Edited by seeline

More instrumentalists:

Susie Ibarra

Cindy Blackman

Terri Lynne Carrington

Barbara Carroll

Regina Carter

Carolyn Breuer (her straight-ahead material)

Jane Bunnett (mostly her Cuban stuff)

Anat Cohen

Joyce (multiple categories: composer, arranger, guitarist, singer, lyricist)

Luciana Rabello (OK, not strictly jazz, but she's killer)

Monette Sudler

Mimi Fox

Shirley Scott

Roberta Piket

Melba Liston (as both trombonist and arranger)

Clarice Assad (as pianist and composer, mainly)

Michele Rosewoman (as pianist, composer and arranger)

Kerry Politzer

Myra Melford

Miriam Alter

Maxine Roach

Laurie Frink

Helen Sung

Carla Kihlstedt

Lynne Arriale

Emily Remler

Rosinha de Valença (wonderful Brazilian guitarist whose career was cut short by a heart attack and subsequent coma)

Cristina Azuma (another Brazilian guitarist)

some more Brazilians:

Lea Freire (reeds)

Daniella Spielmann (reeds)

Simone Soul (drum set and other percussion - she's killer)

* An aside: Most of the younger musicians I've played with (40 and under) seem to accept me on an equal footing; none of them (as far as I know) think it's odd for a woman to be playing percussion, or anything else, for that matter. This isn't always true of older guys, but what the hey... (And I'm not a pro; just saying...)

Edited by seeline

After Sheila E, Sue Evans, & Ruth Underwood, no over-40 type should bat an eye either... hell, back in the 70s, in Denton, there was a woman percussionist named Lee Ann Harris who was the best in town, period. Her boyfriend was the best drummer in town too, period...sessions at their house were always a blast...but then they broke up.

I don't think it's "women musicians" that "guy musicians" have issues with. I think it's just women in general. And, every yang having its yin, vice-versa.

Yin & yang - there's a natural tension there, as well as a natural harmony. Dealing with dealing with that is pretty much a life's work.

Sheila E. is really good - I think many people write her off as one of Prince's protegees, which doesn't begin to do justice to her ability.

I'd have to say that guys who have issues with women musicians have... issues, period. (Not just with women per se.)

Edited by seeline

With vegetables?

Maybe it's a fiber deficiency or something, ya' think?

Oh, Sheila E...now Sheila E can play. Comes from a family of players. That Prince stuff was pretty good at times, but Sheila E had a whole 'nother life before and after that.

Carla Kihlstedt

didn't post here so far feeling slightly uncomfortable for whatever ideological reasons...

love the kihlstedt / satoko fujii album!

(to mention a few names once more, mary halvorson, zeena parkins, andrea parkins, matana roberts, don't love everything about jenny scheinman but at least she's much better than mark feldman)

haven't thought about this person in a while but this thread brought her back to mind. in case anyone on the board lives in nyc and needs a trombonist, Sarah Hatler is an excellent player. i played in a very good college big band w/ her for a couple years a while back. looks like she's playing mostly classical now but she's way cool, reads like a motherfucker, has absolutely no attitude (ie: classical elitism) and can play jazz just fine thank you very much.

p.s. - everything i just wrote above about Sarah can also be applied to her husband! how fucking cool is that...

Edited by thedwork

Thanks much for the heads-up, thedwork... Am listening to clips from her MySpace page now. Very impressive!

And this is pretty cool:

Ms. Hatler played Co-Principal trombone in the Amazonas Filarmonica in Manaus, Brazil, in the XII Opera Festival of the Amazon under the direction of Maestro Luiz Fernando Malheiro last year.
Edited by seeline