Beatles Naked LET IT BE

Tjazz

I was intrigued by this, too, so I just spoke to my source of info at the local record shop.

According to him, the first disk has great sound and is completley worth the $$$.

However, the bonus disk is about 20 minutes long and is, in his words, a "bunch of crap"--mostly studio chatter and noodling around.

But I guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday to know for sure.

john

From what I've seen in the advance ads, the 2 CD edition is a "limited" one, and if the 2nd disc is 20 minutes of crap it might be better to just go for the standard single CD edition (unless of course the price is the same for the 2 CDs...hell, the second disc might be crap, but in that case it would be FREE crap, and no self-respecting music fanatic would ever pass up FREE crap!).

Edited by DrJ

Got the info:

Track List

DISC 1

1. Get Back 2:34

2. Dig a Pony 3:38

3. For You Blue 2:27

4. The Long and Winding Road 3:34

5. Two of Us 3:21

6. I've Got a Feeling 3:30

7. One After 909 2:44

8. Don't Let Me Down 3:18

9. I Me Mine 2:21

10. Across the Universe 3:38

11. Let It Be 3:55

DISC 2

1. Fly On the Wall 21:58

[The bonus disc, "Fly on the Wall," contains 20-plus minutes of excerpts from the countless hours of tapes from the Get Back Sessions. No song is heard in its entirity -- most are heard in shambolic snippets of 30 seconds or less -- and even if the fidelity is considerably cleaner than that on the monumental (and monumentally boring) nine-disc Get Back Journals, it's still hard to make out the conversations on this disc, and even hardcore Beatles fans will likely tune out this disc after a few minutes. It would have been better if this set was released with a disc devoted to Let It Be... Naked and a disc devoted to the original Get Back, but that's a pipe dream.] Stephen Thomas Erlewine

FROM AMG

At least half (maybe more) of the first disc of "Let It Be...Naked" is made up of alternate takes, not the original versions of the songs stripped of their strings. I have A/B'd several tracks, and I can say conclusively that "I've Got A Feeling," "The Long and Winding Road," "Let It Be," and "One After 909" are different performances. I haven't gotten around A/Bing the other tracks yet (although I'm fairly certain that "Two of Us" and "For You Blue" are the same as the original record).

This doesn't annoy me so much as the fact that this is mentioned NOWHERE in the liner notes. In fact, the liners are just so much dross. This is a shameful product, designed to take advantage of the fact that most people won't know the difference. While I don't regret getting it (the sound is great, and these alternates are almost as good as the orginal performances) I am annoyed that a lot of people will buy this thinking that they are getting the original "Let It Be" album *as the Beatles intended*. The Beatles may very well have prefered these takes over the ones issued by Specter, but why not say so?

I heard about 2/3 of the album yesterday.

Part of me doesn't like the fact that it was built in Pro Tools and really isn't the album the Beatles had originally intended.

but...

I dug the sound. I dug hearing new things in the music. There was a guitar track on "I Me Mine" that I had never heard before. I've heard all these songs thousands of times, but I like being able to hear them in a new way.

I'm going to buy this, keep the old Let It Be CD and LPs, keep the Get Back bootlegs I have. I figure this is just another piece in the puzzle.

As for the bonus CD, I'll probably listen to it once.

They should release the Naked versions of "The Long and Winding Road" and "Let it Be" as singles. I swear, they'd chart in a heartbeat.

I don't know if they'd chart, but I do know that the "naked" version of "Long and Winding Road" redeems the song for me. I forget where a reviewer said it, but I initially read that this new version sounded like a sloppy demo that hadn't been worked up into a proper song. And that's garbage, IMHO.

Without the strings and vocal chorus, this is a very moving record--I'm damn glad to have the chance to play the "naked" version. I love Spector's production work on John Lennon's *Plastic Ono Band* and *Imagine,* but Phil ruins *Let it Be* for me.

The sound on this disc is GREAT. I don't think the Beatles have ever sounded so immediate. They should release the Naked versions of "The Long and Winding Road" and "Let it Be" as singles. I swear, they'd chart in a heartbeat.

Besides, if Elvis can do it, the Beatles can too!

I agree.

I love the sound.

The Beatles catalog NEEDS to be remastered.

Heck, they could release a multidisc box set of each album with various mixes, demos, etc... and I'd buy those.

After hearing "I Me Mine" on this cd, I want to hear George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS without all the Spector touches. I bet that would be amazing.

:g

there is a long article in the new "ice" that breaks the whole thing down track by track.

get back - same master as original

dig a pony - from the rooftop

for you blue - same master as original

long and winding road - from the film - not same master as original

two of us - same as original

i've got a feeling - edit of 2 rooftop performances

one after 909 - rooftop - same as original

don't let me down - not on original album - edit of 2 rooftop performances

i me mine - same edit - lengethened from 1:34 to 2:25

across the universe - not recorded during original sessions, but is in the film. original master with lennon on 1 track and harrison on the other

let it be - same master as spector with harrison's guitar lead from the film

I will have to get this. "Another piece in the puzzle," as AB said. Besides, I always wanted to get the film version of "The Long and Winding Road" which is infinitely better than than the Spector single. It is interesting that the Beatles are causing some of us to dig yet again into our pockets at this late date, in the 21st century! Will people be paying digital cash for the new virtual hyperversion of Revolver in 2150?

i have mixed feelings about this release. i love the SOUND of the record and hearing different versions and edits and mixes is always fun, in my opinion. but on the other hand i really hate the way it has been packaged and marketed. as was mentioned before, the liners SUCK. they offer nothing new and nowhere on the disc or in the marketing campaign do they really come clean and say that this is a slick 2003 remix and PRODUCTION ... in a sense, just as much of a production as spector's version was. you can't really say this is "the way the beatles intended it." i think you just have to listen to the fly on the wall disc (a redeeming bonus feature -- i am a geek for studio chatter) to realize that the group themselves didn't really have a clear or unified vision of what they wanted.

in the end, fun to hear (love the "punchiness" of the rock tracks), but an unnecessary release. let's remaster the catalog (good god, does it need it!) and call it a day, eh?

What bums me out about the Beatles' catalog is that the packaging stinks. Even their newer compilations (except Anthology and BBC) are pretty uninspired from a packaging point of view.

Some of my favorite reissues have been the ones they did for the Byrds' catalog. They had good remastering, bonus tracks, and nice booklets. Even the Capitol twofers for the Beach Boys are nice.

Just my 2 cents... B)

Some of my favorite reissues have been the ones they did for the Byrds' catalog. They had good remastering, bonus tracks, and nice booklets. Even the Capitol twofers for the Beach Boys are nice.

Just my 2 cents... B)

I agree. I have always been impressed with how the Byrds catalog has been reissued. Just a great job all around. Interesting liner notes, lots of great, mostly interesting extra tunes, plus the previously unreleased Fillmore concert. And the extra disc for Untitled is great. Why this kind of care hasn't been applied to other major artists like Springsteen or the Beatles or the Stones (no outtakes, extra tunes at all!!) or Neil Young is a shame

Yes indeed. I always had the impression that some corporate shmoe was in charge of the production and packaging of the Beatles catalog. How else to explain the lack of care and thought put into it. The attitude at the record company seems to be: "These guys have always sold well. Let's just toss the stuff onto the shelves and let it sell itself." The catch-22 is that for less popular figures they claim that putting work into the packaging is not worth it from an economic perspective, because the future sales can't justify the investment. It all comes back to this old realization---most big record companies suck.

I finally got this CD last weekend.

Of course, the first thing I did was to throw on the bonus disc.

I have to admit, I enjoyed it. It was fun to hear them doing their thing and there was some music on it too. It seemed to have a more positive spin on it than the footage used in the "Let It Be" movie.

As for the LET IT BE....NAKED CD, I was really impressed with the sound. I think anybody who digs the Beatles should have this CD.

There were a few things that were kind of strange for me.

I've listened to the old LET IT BE album and cd for years, so I'm really used to this music in that format. The thing that bothers me the most about the new CD is the track fade-outs. They just seem too early and too short. The breakdowns at the song ends are gone. It's kind of weird.

Another thing that I realized is that the track, The Long and Winding Road, just doesn't fit with the rest of the music. I was listening to it and it felt more like a Wings song than a Beatles one.

After listening to this CD a number of times, it seems that they were trying to make LET IT BE sound like a "regular" George Martin produced Beatle album.

Cat Shatner gives it: :tup:tup

AB,

Regarding your comments on "The Long and Winding Road"...

I've often thought that there was significant overlap between the late-Beatles-era McCartney and his Wings incarnation. It has to do, I think, with the fact that by the time of "The Long and Winding Road," Paul really wasn't collaborating with John in any way. I've also noticed that Paul's looser "Wings" vocal style can be heard in the late-Beatles outtakes on the "Anthology," which could suggest that Paul wasn't trying as hard in his solo work.

Just a thought.