New 4CD box set of Johnny Griffin

Looks like Storyville is releasing some live Johnny + a DVD from a Village Vanguard performance...

I had one of the dates... but as CDU has got it for a ridiculous price.. .I caved...

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/Default.aspx

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7955729

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Hopefully it will come in better packaging than the Art Tatum & Ben Webster boxes last year....

Edited by tranemonk

Disc one is the Griffin/Taylor "In Copenhagen" (great messy live recording), disc two is the Griffin/Davis "In Copenhagen" (a recent reissue - lame to re-pack that again already....), and disc three is "Catharsis!", the only one that escapes me so far. I wonder how much there is on the DVD...

from Amazon.com's product description:

The DVD was recorded at the Village Vanguard in New York 1981 with Ronnie Matthews, Ray Drummond and Kenny Washington. It also contains two numbers from Slukefter 1985 with Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Qurtet. If you like heavy, swinging jazz, this is the box set for you. Johnny Griffin is taking care of business, as they say, from the first note to the last...

DVD track list

1. Opening & Blues For Gonzi

2. A Monk's Dream

3. 56 & Closing

4. S'Wonderful

5. Shiny Stockings

So I guess it's three titles with Mathews (maybe the best quartet Griff ever led as a working unit?), and then two more w/Lock...

And to think that yesterday I was excited at the prospect of what I assumed were unissued concerts with Kenny Drew in the piano chair ... :ph34r:

I don't know about the Ronnie Matthews edition of the band, seems to me there was a more recent version, captured on several recordings, that featured someone who posts here on piano. :w

I don't know about the Ronnie Matthews edition of the band, seems to me there was a more recent version, captured on several recordings, that featured someone who posts here on piano. :w

True - I thought about that just after I'd hit the "add reply" button... but I think I'll stand by that judgement, just give a spin to "Live/Autumn Leaves" (Universal/Verve/Gitanes, whatever that actually was) and at least for a moment I guess you'll agree! (And then I'll spin some with Weiss and I guess for a moment I'll disagree with my own judgement again...)