22 LP-BOX/ LESTER YOUNG "LIVE & PRIVATE Rec."

Alfred

Cadence sold these in the late '80's for $300. There was a Lester set, a Charlie Parker, a Billie Holiday and a Bud Powell. The Powell was 11 lp's the rest, I believe, were 22 lps. I have the Parker and Powell sets which were both numbered and limited to 300 sets. The Powell was from Francis Paudras(sp?), later issued on cd on Mythic Sound and now being issued by Fantasy. The Bird is all broadcasts and location recordings that have been around in various issues for a long time. While I haven't seen it I would guess that the Lester set is the same with dates that had been on Queen Disc, Ambrosia, and others being gathered in this set. The Bird set came with a nice booklet that showed prior vinyl issues for the material, maybe the Lester set did the same. I would doubt that there is any music on the Lester set that hasn't subsequently seen issue on cd.

Edited by Tom in RI

They were published by Italian collectors in the 'early '80s. I bought the Bird, Prez and Billie sets when they came out in Italy and still cherish them. Huge, beautiful boxes.

The booklets of those three are 12inch brochures with full discographies and photos.

The boxes had everything (and some more) that was available by then of non-official records by all three. They also included rare official sides.

Missed the Bud Powell box but the set came out at around the same time in individual CDs that evened things up.

There also was a similar Coleman Hawkins LP box which was published by a different Italian group. Never saw that one.

• 1 month later...

Tom, You mentioned that Fantasy is reissuing the Francis Paudras 11 lp set on cd? Is this really the case. I have been looking for this set for many years and would pay dearly to have it. If you by chance read this post, please email me directly at lgoler@hotmail.com

Thanks.

l,

Fantasy has so far released two cds drawn from the material in the Paudras releases, though not exactly in the same order, that is the material so far is not one specific volume or another, but a mix from different volumes.

They haven't stated exactly that they ARE definitely going to do all the material as far as I can tell, but they may do so. . . .

The sound is quite good on the one that I have picked up so far.

Tom, You mentioned that Fantasy is reissuing the Francis Paudras 11 lp set on cd?  Is this really the case.  I have been looking for this set for many years and would pay dearly to have it.  If you by chance read this post, please email me directly at lgoler@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Here are the covers. I only have the first of them, so far.

B000068PZB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00009YXKA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

ubu

Edited by king ubu