BFT 66 - the Hammond B3 revealed

mikeweil

My goal was to present an entertaining, "greazy" selection of tracks with a Hammond B3, avoid, some of the great names, but include others that are arguably underrated, present some musicians not associated with organ combos, avoid standard tunes, use only discs that I really like ...

Disc I:

1 - Bill Goodwin Trio: Loose Change (Hal Galper)

Craig Kastelnik (organ) Vic Juris (guitar) Bill Goodwin (drums)

CD Three Is A Crowd (TCB Switzerland), recorded July 4, 1992 in Kastelnik's basement studio.

6166CRM37SL._SS400_.gif

This was a surprise find when I was searching ebay for organ CDs several years ago. Goodwin was known to me mostly from his long tenure with Phil Woods - he met Kastelnik at some gig he was booked for, and hit instant rapport with him. Years later he did a trio gig with him and Juris and recorded this CD, which is a nice modern take on the organ trio without some of the more soul jazz related clichés. Kastelnik was backing country artists for most of his career and then moved back to Pennsylvania with his wife Pat - they have a duo KATO covering almost every style, Goodwin says. I found it nice to hear how well a modern bop drummer can sound in this context.

---------------------------------------------

2 - Charles Kynard: Blue Greens and Beans (Mal Waldron)

Charles Kynard (organ) Clifford Scott (tenor sax) Howard Roberts (guitar) Milt Turner (drums)

LP Where It's At (Pacific Jazz), recorded in 1963 at Pacific Jazz Studios by Richard Bock

CharlesKynard_WhereItsAt.jpg

This was Kynard's first LP! Obviously a studio band, but they sound like coming from a regular gig they've been playing for years. Clifford Scott delivers! Kynard is really underrepresented on CD ...

--------------------------------------------------

3 - Don Patterson Trio: Goin' To Meeting (Don Patterson)

Don Patterson (organ) Jerry Byrd (guitar) Billy James (drums)

LP Satisfaction! (Prestige), recorded July 19, 1965 at Rudy van Gelder's Studio

don-patterson-satisfaction.jpg

(Sorry for the tiny cover) This is from one of four Patterson LPs on Prestige that never made it to CD. Blame Fantasy - now we probably will have to wait forever or do our own needle drops ;) ... I love Patterson - much more than Jimmy Smith or other more familiar names. Billy James is one of the perfect organ trio dummers of all time.

------------------------------------------------------

4 - Johnny Griffin: Offering Time (Paul Bryant)

Johnny Griffin (tenor sax) Paul Bryant (organ) Joe Pass (guitar) Jimmy Bond (bass) Doug Sides (drums)

CD Grab This! (Riverside/OJC), recorded July 28, 1962 at Pacific Jazz Studios by Richard Bock

41ZHS87BGHL._SS500_.jpg

IIRC, Griffin's only organ album, with the underrated Paul Bryant. This was the giveaway track - many of you recognized Griffin.

But I thought all of you would have this excellent CD!

5 - Ronald Muldrow: Soleshia (Ronald Muldrow)

Ronald Muldrow (guitar) Larry Goldings (organ) Jimmy Madison (drums)

CD Gnowing You (L+R Records), recorded Spring 1991 in some German studio

51S8VT469JL._SS500_.jpg

These three were Maceo Parker's rhythm section for a spring 1991 tour of Europe, and Muldrow liked their chemistry so much he recorded with them and handed the tape to a German record producer after a concert about 20 miles from where I now live. I expected nobody would get Goldings, as he does not play on his own instrument - nice to hear how much the sound of a player that makes him recognizable depends on that. At least that tour also led to his first trio CD on another German label. I was aware Muldrow might sound a Wes clone to some, but I like the tune and the groove they get, and how they go on and on after the drum solo and theme, as if they could take it to higher levels without end. Muldrow knows his limits - a good jazz soldier warrior he was, and a solid bearer of the Wes torch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6 - Deep Blue Organ Trio: Deep Blue Bruise (Bobby Broom)

Chris Foreman (organ) Bobby Broom (guitar) Greg Rockingham (drums)

CD Deep Blue Bruise (Deolmark), recorded April 12-14, 2004 at Riverside Studio, Chicago

611NVZ4RAQL._SS500_.jpg

Another one I thought everybody would have, the way this group was discussed here on the forum. Bobby Broom has gown into one of my favourite guitar players in recent years, his takes on pop or standard tunes are great. This trio is a great working band. Check YouTube for them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 - Jan Hammer Trio: Domicile's Last Night (Jan Hammer)

Jan Hammer (organ) George Mraz (bass) Cees See (drums)

LP/CD Maliny Maliny (MPS/Promising Music), recorded August 30, 1968 at Domicile Jazz Club, Munich, Germany

51luPdyS0WL._SS500_.jpg

This was Hammer's debut LP. It got rave reviews in the German Jazz press, but I never got hold of a copy until the recent CD reissue (3 of the 7 tracks are on organ). I consider Hammer one of the most gifted keyboarders that Europe produced and love his organ playing here. Amazing how funky his approach already was, with limited access to US LPs. He was in Germany for a few months before he moved to the USA, playing with Elvin Jones and Jeremy Steig before climbing the top ranks of fusion with Mahavishnu.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 - Rhoda Scott: Reminiscence (Rhoda Scott)

Rhoda Scott (organ)

CD Alone (Verve), recorded in Paris, France in August, 1996

51HV57R0KFL._SS500_.jpg

This solo CD is the epitome of good taste on the B3, to me at least. Her groove is amazing, even without drums.

More to come tomorrow ...

Edited by mikeweil

To be filled in later, I'm guessing...problem is, they'll show as edits, not new posts, so you're gonna have to check in yourself to see when new content has been added.

okie doke (to be read as if spoken by Jim Ignatowski).

Edited by thedwork

Disc II:

1 - Mevin Rhyne Trio: A.P.J. (Mevin Rhyne)

Mevin Rhyne (organ) Peter Bernstein (guitar) Ray Appleton (drums)

CD Front And Center (Criss Cross Jazz), recorded March 16, 2006 in New York.

51mO5ceMmVL._SS500_.jpg

Melvin Rhyne is one of my favourite living organists, I try to get everything he records. His career started with Wes Montgomery's Trio (Appleton often was the drummer, though not on recordings) but slowed down after Wes' passing. But he is in constant demand and put out a remarkable string of CDs since his re-discovery in 1991: Brian Lynch demanded him as a sideman, and producer Gerry Teekens liked the rhythm section so much he gave them a trio date the next day. To this day his main outlet is Criss Cross - there's not a single flop among the many CDs, and he's getting better and better with age. Thank the creator for Melvin Rhyne!

---------------------------------------------

2 - Jeff Palmer: Shades of The Pine (Jeff Palmer)

Jeff Palmer (organ) Billy Pierce (tenor sax) John Abercrombie (guitar) Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums)

CD Shades Of The Pine (Reservoir), recorded September 14, 1994 at Rudy van Gelder's Studio

51RQsgevDdL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Palmer is another favourite of mine, and one of the few taking the B3 into free form territory (though not on this track - I considered other tracks, especially some fine sides with George Garzone on a hard to find CD, but they were to long and did not fit into the greazy part of the theme. He can play some wild stuff when needed, but has the taste (like Smitty Smith here) to lay back just as well. This CD may be the most accessible of his output.

--------------------------------------------------

3 - Dr. Lonnie Smith: A Matterapat (Dr. Lonnie Smith)

Dr. Lonnie Smith (organ) Peter Bernstein (guitar) Herlin Riley (drums) Donald Harrison (alto sax)

CD Rise Up! (Palmetto), recorded May 5 & 6, 2008 at Maggie's Farm

51ofQwMrW-L._SS400_.jpg

This is from the Doctor's latest, another one I thought everybody would get, as this was discussed here and this opening track availble for download from the label's website. Herlin Riley lays down a killer groove here - the drummers from New Orleans are the best! My favourite alto, Donald Harrison (besides the local guy I play with) - what more can I ask for. This is still available post free from the label's website. Get it!

4 - Bill Stewart: Don't Ever Call Me Again (Bill Stewart)

Kevin Hays (electric piano) Larry Goldings (organ) Bill Stewart (drums)

CD Keynote Speakers (Bill Stewart Music - avaialble through CDBaby), recorded January 8 & 9, 2002 at Clinton Studios, New York, by David Baker

41fyxX8rUPL._SS500_.jpg

Now that the Larry Goldings Trio takes a long break, take this for substitutes. Great idea, using two keyboard players, although he may rarely take this trio on tour. Many different textures, great tunes - there is a 2nd CD, Incandescence.

5 - Benjamin Koppel: Pasadena Pancakes (Benjamin Koppel)

Benjamin Koppel (alto sax) Larry Goldings (organ) Bill Stewart (drums)

CD Hammond Street (www.cowbellmusic.dk), recorded in Los Angeles, January 2006

51BaaqqX-xL._SS500_.jpg

I bought this at a time when I tried to get every CD Larry Goldings and member of his trio were on. Their reputation as a great backing unit is undisputed. Koppel is a Danish saxist that doesn't sound any worse to me than his US contemporaries. http://www.benjaminkoppel.dk/Home.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6 - Jason Seizer: Clara (Jason Seizer)

Jason Seizer (tenor sax) Larry Goldings (organ) Peter Bernstein (guitar) Bill Stewart (drums)

CD Sketches (organic music), recorded December 3, 1999 in a Netherlands studio

41NPMzYan9L._SS500_.jpg

Another one with the Goldings Trio. Seizer is a German player of great talent whose career moves slowly, due to the difficult working conditions over here and his uncompromising attitude. Not an innovation, but a beautifully conceived and executed ballad.

http://www.jason-seizer.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 - Brad Shepik Trio: Témoin (Brad Shepik)

Brad Shepik (guitar) Gary Versace (organ) Tom Rainey (drums)

SACD Places You Go (Songlines), recorded 2006?

515Lnkz4zjL._SS400_.jpg

Shepik and Versace are another pair that tries to find new ways for the organ trio. I like the use of 7/8 rhythm and the country-ish B section of the piece, and there is another excellent drummer here, Tom Rainey.

http://www.bradshepik.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 - Don Patterson: Embraceable You (Ira Gershwin)

Don Patterson (organ) Pat Martino (guitar)

LP Four Dimensions, reissued on CD Just Friends (Prestige), recorded August 25, 1967 by Richard Alderson

51NXPS9GYWL._SS500_.jpg

Patterson was one the greatest ballad players of all time - there is a jewel of this kind on almost every album.

Thanks all, for listening and guessing - I found the consensus as well as the differing opinions on some tracks quite surprising.

post-12-1246622778_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

8 - Don Patterson: Embraceable You (Ira Gershwin)

Don Patterson (organ) Pat Martino (guitar)

LP Four Dimensions, reissued on CD Just Friends (Prestige), recorded August 25, 1967 by Richard Alderson

51NXPS9GYWL._SS500_.jpg

Patterson was one the greatest ballad players of all time - there is a jewel of this kind on almost every album.

Agreed! Believe it or not, the first time I listened to this, my initial reaction was "This sounds like Pat Martino a la We'll Be Together Again, only with a B-3 instead of a Rhodes." Nice to know I was within spittin' distance of at least one! Now to go back and connect titles to grooves and see how much this one's gonna drain outta the wallet! A fantastic BFT, Mike! :tup :tup :tup

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping back in to offer a belated thanks again to Mike. I still haven't had time to go back and listen again with the revealed data above in mind, but I intend to do that soon.

I'm both surprised and not surprised to see Peter Bernstein's name appearing as many times as it does. He gets around even more than I realized.

7 - Jan Hammer Trio: Domicile's Last Night (Jan Hammer)

Jan Hammer (organ) George Mraz (bass) Cees See (drums)

LP/CD Maliny Maliny (MPS/Promising Music), recorded August 30, 1968 at Domicile Jazz Club, Munich, Germany

51luPdyS0WL._SS500_.jpg

This was Hammer's debut LP. It got rave reviews in the German Jazz press, but I never got hold of a copy until the recent CD reissue (3 of the 7 tracks are on organ). I consider Hammer one of the most gifted keyboarders that Europe produced and love his organ playing here. Amazing how funky his approach already was, with limited access to US LPs. He was in Germany for a few months before he moved to the USA, playing with Elvin Jones and Jeremy Steig before climbing the top ranks of fusion with Mahavishnu.

and with Sarah Vaughn, as did, interestingly enough, Chick Corea.