Clifford Brown at the Cotton Club... ??

what's the scoop on this???? :unsure: :unsure:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record.php?record_id=4781

One of the interesting claims.... is "All tracks previously unissued on any format."

Is that true? Does anyone have this? :unsure:

Yes I have that one, it's been out for quite a while now, there are a couple of reviews on Amazon, one of which explains that the tracks are probably not from the Cotton Club at all, it's just a guess, I think the liners say somthing like that also, but I haven't read them in a while.

Durium posted and blogged about it a while back as well, here.

513fRwW4PfL._SS500_.jpg

• 3 years later...

what's the scoop on this???? unsure.gifunsure.gif

http://www.freshsoun...?record_id=4781

One of the interesting claims.... is "All tracks previously unissued on any format."

Is that true? Does anyone have this? unsure.gif

Yes I have that one, it's been out for quite a while now, there are a couple of reviews on Amazon, one of which explains that the tracks are probably not from the Cotton Club at all, it's just a guess, I think the liners say somthing like that also, but I haven't read them in a while.

Durium posted and blogged about it a while back as well, here.

513fRwW4PfL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon review referred to above

By Mark E. Lewis

Format:Audio CD

The music on these cds comes from some tapes that belonged to Clifford Brown's widow, LaRue who was a friend of mine. Many years ago she gave me a stack of reel to reel tapes to make copies of, some which had been in the trunk of clifford's car when it crashed. None of the tapes had any kind of information on them. So excepting the radio broadcast from Buffalo and the untitled blues, everything else on the three cd's is from ONE night, somewhere, starting with Take the A Train in the first set, and ending with get happy in the third set. The Cotton Club is a guess, and the recording dates are wrong, because all three sets are surely from the same night. They are issued out of order here. The untitled blues, [wee dot] is from another tape, and another night. Both of these tapes were used to make the record album, "Pure Genius". "Lover", [or Diggin' Diz] has a guest drummer sitting in. I think Max said Chuck Lampkin. My guess is that Clifford recorded most of this with his reel to reel. When he and Sonny finish their solos, someone moves the mike over to the piano.

Clifford's solos are a joy to behold, and the cd is worth buying just to hear what he plays on Lover! I guess the people who put this out felt they had to come up with a title and date to help sell it. The music is all that counts, and it is beautiful.

So, as the above review confirms, some of the titles on this 3 CD set appear to have been issued - the Elektra Musician LP (1982) "Pure Genius" lists 5 titles, 4 of which are likely on disc 3 ie

Lover Man 6:02

Daahoud 10:43

What's New 3:49

I'll Remember April 19:04

These timings appear to fit nicely onto an LP (52nd St Theme has been omitted)

Can anyone out there with the LP confirm that the timings are similar?

So, as the above review confirms, some of the titles on this 3 CD set appear to have been issued - the Elektra Musician LP (1982) "Pure Genius" lists 5 titles, 4 of which are likely on disc 3 ie

Label timings are:

Lover Man 6:32

Daahoud 10:23

What's New 19:14

I'll Remember April 3:54

However, the album label and jacket both mislabel "What's New" as "I'll Remember April", and vice-versa.

It should also be noted that these tunes came to Elektra Musician/Bruce Lundvall thorugh Max Roach, who, iirc, claimed ownership of them.

Label timings are:

Lover Man 6:32

Daahoud 10:23

What's New 19:14

I'll Remember April 3:54

However, the album label and jacket both mislabel "What's New" as "I'll Remember April", and vice-versa.

It should also be noted that these tunes came to Elektra Musician/Bruce Lundvall thorugh Max Roach, who, iirc, claimed ownership of them.

many thanks - looks like they are the same

What about 52nd street theme (listed in the Lord discog) - is that on the LP?

No problem. I needed to pull that side out again anyway!

I am curious, though, about the claim that these tapes were loaned to this guy by LaRue Brown...that might well be true, but does that mean that he's also the guy who got them to Lonehill? And how does that gibe with Max apparently feeling that he had the right to lease them to Brucve Lundval? Don't know that I'd be bragging about being the guy that got anything to Lonehill, but as they say, ain't no bizness like show bizness! :party:

There's this from Larue Brown-Watson on the back cover of Pure Genius Volume One:

The music you hear has brought me immeasurable hours of pleasure. It is with much joy and a heart full of love that I share it with you. My personal thanks to the musicians, all of whom contributed their creative genius, to Mark Lewis, who preserved the original tapes for me, to the technicians who took a twenty-six year old product and brought it to life, to Bruce Lundvall for being the music lover he is and most of all to my late husband Clifford Brown for leaving this legacy to Clifford Jr, Clifford III and all of us. Enjoy!

The album is listed as being produced by Max Roach.

There's this from Larue Brown-Watson on the back cover of Pure Genius Volume One:

The music you hear has brought me immeasurable hours of pleasure. It is with much joy and a heart full of love that I share it with you. My personal thanks to the musicians, all of whom contributed their creative genius, to Mark Lewis, who preserved the original tapes for me, to the technicians who took a twenty-six year old product and brought it to life, to Bruce Lundvall for being the music lover he is and most of all to my late husband Clifford Brown for leaving this legacy to Clifford Jr, Clifford III and all of us. Enjoy!

The album is listed as being produced by Max Roach.

interesting connection - wonder who has the tapes now - Larue?

Well, Lonehill obviously has something. Copies, maybe.

There was supposed to be a Volume Two of Pure Genius, but that never happened. Not sure why, "business", probably, but when Lundvall moved to the new Blue Note, Max got a project on the label. Nothing archival, though. Still, I would guess that Max's estate would be in possession of at least something, originals or copies.

From what I understand is that LaRue lent out the tapes to someone and that person made at least some copies. The Brown Estate has all of the original tapes. I don't know how Max became the "producer". Maybe that was his fee for having them released.

From what I understand, the Lonehill tape sounds poor, and must come from a copy with no studio fixes.

Hold on to you money until the better thing comes along with all of the music and then some.

Max had a relationship with Lundvall going back to the Columbia days. Supposedly he was the only American record executive Max would even begin to trust. So my guess is that he acted as broker between LaRue & Lundvall. Wonder if that was the deal with the Beehive tapes as well. Or else maybe Max had first-gen copies and worked out the deal completely on his own. Would hate to think that, but...there are no surprises, right?