Art Farmer Quintet 45: Goin out of my head/Mercy Mercy Mercy

no personel listed! its like arts crossover single, lol!

Recorded May 23/25, 1967, NYC

Art Farmer (tp/flgn), JImmy Heath (ts), Cedar Walton (p), Walter Booker (b), Mickey Roker (d).

From the same sessions that produced "Art Farmer Plays the Great Jazz Hits" (Columbia), one of Art's most forgettable records.

Art Farmer (tp/flgn), JImmy Heath (ts), Cedar Walton (p), Walter Booker (b), Mickey Roker (d).

From the same sessions that produced "Art Farmer Plays the Great Jazz Hits" (Columbia), one of Art's most forgettable records.

Have to say I disagree with that assessment. I enjoyed hearing Art on tunes like Moanin' and the others that he covered on the record. But obviously, mileage varies.

• 2 weeks later...

There may have been a couple more tracks from "Hits" (not the above 2) on one of those Columbia double LP's (which also included more from "Time and Place"). I suggested to Mosaic that it could make a nice single, and the reply was that they were considering it if they couldn't get their proposed issue of the "Time" sesion out.

There's a recording with either the same personnel or at least Jimmy and Cedar. It's either called Here's that Rainy Day or has that tune on it. I got a cassette from a mail-order house, but I'm a senile 55-year-old now, and forget. Jazz Heritage? Thank you, working brain cells! It has wah-wahs and stuff, but that's what they did then. Most is straight ahead. Art sounds beautiful and Jimmy Heath is IMO the most beautiful, focussed soprano player. What a sound he gets... They are a great team, as Art and Clifford Jordan were a little later. I have a feeling some of this material is on it, too. I really like it, have to dig it out.

is it a reissue of MAINSTREAM lp:

Art Farmer- Homecoming (MRL 332) 1971? (Unipak) "A Red Lion Production" Stylized Lion Logo

Produced by: Bob Shad

Photography: Raymond Ross

Engineer- Carmine Rubino

Liner Notes: Herb Wong

Personnel:

Art Farmer- Flugelhorn

Billy Higgins- Drums

Warren Smith, Jr.- Percussion

James Heath- Tenor Sax, Soprano Sax, Flute

Cedar Walton- Piano

Samuel Jones- Bass

James Forman (Mtume)- Conga Drums

Side One: (TT- 18:38)

Homecoming- 4:06 (Art Farmer)

Cascavelo- 8:39 (Horst Muhlbradt)

Some Other Time- 5:53 (Leonard Bernstein)

Side Two: (TT- 13:13)

Blue Bossa- 6:47 (Kenny Dorham)

Here's That Rainy Day- 6:26 (Burke & Van Heusen)