Joe Henderson Milestone box incomplete?

CJ Shearn

I came across an old rec.music.bluenote post mentioning that a take of "Black Narcissus" exists from the "In Japan" session not included on the box, as well as the bass/drums solos edited out from that album's take of "Blue Bossa". Anyone know why the set was issued this way? it's fantastic regardless, but just kind of strange it's incomplete.

Anybody know? Would love to hear more Joe material from this era.

And speaking of live Joe from the 70's, anybody know if this 'Everest' LP (of dubious origin) ever made it to CD?? The LP is called "Jazz Patterns". (Even gray-market??)

Date: September 24-26, 1970

Label: Milestone

Joe Henderson (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts), Woody Shaw (t, fh), George Cables (ep), Ron McClure (b, eb), Lenny White (d), Anthony Waters (cga)

1. Invitation - 15:30 (Bronislau Kaper, Paul Francis Webster)

Everest LP 12": FS-363 - Jazz Patterns

2. Punjab - 8:30 (Joe Henderson)

3. Power To The People - 17:20 (Joe Henderson)

"Punjab," "Power to the People" and the longer version of "Invitation" not part of the original release. These titles were released as bootlegs on the Everest label with the Henderson originals erroneously titled, "Lofty" and "What's Mine is Yours," respectively.

I came across an old rec.music.bluenote post mentioning that a take of "Black Narcissus" exists from the "In Japan" session not included on the box, as well as the bass/drums solos edited out from that album's take of "Blue Bossa". Anyone know why the set was issued this way? it's fantastic regardless, but just kind of strange it's incomplete.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that "Out 'n In" was mislabeled "Black Narcissus" on the original Japanese issue (but not on Milestone). I'm basing that on the Lord discography, which is a little confusing on this point - but that's what it looks like. As far as I can tell, everything that's ever been issued from this show is on the Milestone box set, although it stands to reason that lots more was recorded that night.

Anybody know? Would love to hear more Joe material from this era.

And speaking of live Joe from the 70's, anybody know if this 'Everest' LP (of dubious origin) ever made it to CD?? The LP is called "Jazz Patterns". (Even gray-market??)

Date: September 24-26, 1970

Label: Milestone

Joe Henderson (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts), Woody Shaw (t, fh), George Cables (ep), Ron McClure (b, eb), Lenny White (d), Anthony Waters (cga)

1. Invitation - 15:30 (Bronislau Kaper, Paul Francis Webster)

2. Punjab - 8:30 (Joe Henderson)

3. Power To The People - 17:20 (Joe Henderson)

"Punjab," "Power to the People" and the longer version of "Invitation" not part of the original release. These titles were released as bootlegs on the Everest label with the Henderson originals erroneously titled, "Lofty" and "What's Mine is Yours," respectively.

I have it on CD, but I believe it is not a legit label.

What label is it?? (if I might ask) -- but only if it is a real "silver" disc. No interest in CDR's here.

I own the original LP (which I know, appears to be just as 'legit' (not) as the CD you have), so it's really a question of wanting the material from my preferred media source (CD).

I do own the box set, but that version of "Power To The People" from the Everest LP is really fantastic, and unique - since no other live version of the tune was ever released (legit).

where can this disc be found? is it fair game for www.dimeadozen.org if someone would want to upload it?

I can put it up on dime for you. Give me a few days.

This is what I have. It seems somewhat different then hat you posted. I will listen to my copy and compare it.

Label Everest

Sept 1970

Joe Henderson- tenor sax

George Cables- piano

Steve Arciaca- guitar

Ratso Harris- bass

Michael Hyman- drums

01. Announcer

02. Invitation 30:31

03. Unknown Title 27:53

04. Announcer 0:12

What label is it?? (if I might ask) -- but only if it is a real "silver" disc. No interest in CDR's here.

I own the original LP (which I know, appears to be just as 'legit' (not) as the CD you have), so it's really a question of wanting the material from my preferred media source (CD).

I do own the box set, but that version of "Power To The People" from the Everest LP is really fantastic, and unique - since no other live version of the tune was ever released (legit).

Mine disc says Everest.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

where can this disc be found? is it fair game for www.dimeadozen.org if someone would want to upload it?

I can put it up on dime for you. Give me a few days.

This is what I have. It seems somewhat different then hat you posted. I will listen to my copy and compare it.

Label Everest

Sept 1970

Joe Henderson- tenor sax

George Cables- piano

Steve Arciaca- guitar

Ratso Harris- bass

Michael Hyman- drums

01. Announcer

02. Invitation 30:31

03. Unknown Title 27:53

04. Announcer 0:12

cool, thanks!

Mine disc says Everest.