bobby hackett's dixieland music

alocispepraluger102

I recently purchased a used cd copy of "That Da Da Strain" on Portrait. There is no discographical information apart from a few hints on oputstanding soloists in the liner notes by Dan Morgenstern. Does anyone have a full listing of personnel and dates?

Listening to the LP this morning, I realized that I gave the wrong personnel and date for the last two tracks. I corrected my post above; here is the correct info for those tracks:

Clarinet Marmalade

Singin' The Blues

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Bernie Mattison - trumpet; Jerry Borshard - tb; Bob Riedel - clarinet; George Dessinger - tenor sax; Jim Beitus - baritone sax; Frankie Carle - piano; Bob Knight - guitar; Eddie McKinney - bass; Don Carter - drums; LA, Jan. 25, 1940

Edited by jeffcrom

Frankie Carle? For real? My dad was a big Frankie Carle fan, had a big bunch of his 1950s RCA albums, but it was all cocktail/society stuff. But here he is playing jazz w/Bobby Hackett. Interesting!

Yeah, and apparently before, between, or after the Hackett sides here he recorded some of his tinkly piano solos during this session.

Yes (and better than you might think, although I prefer Hackett's more jazz-oriented music.)

I actually toyed with the notion of getting the above Collectables CD, just so I could have those two albums in more convenient form. I eventually, years later, just ripped the songs from the Mosaic and burned them onto one disc, which, in fact, I'm listening to right now.

I haven't decided on the Hackett Mosaic yet... might well be I'll get it in the end.

Keep in mind, "Jazz Ultimate" and "Coast Concert" are not on the Hackett Mosaic, they're on the first Teagarden.

Yes (and better than you might think, although I prefer Hackett's more jazz-oriented music.)

I actually toyed with the notion of getting the above Collectables CD, just so I could have those two albums in more convenient form. I eventually, years later, just ripped the songs from the Mosaic and burned them onto one disc, which, in fact, I'm listening to right now.

I haven't decided on the Hackett Mosaic yet... might well be I'll get it in the end.

Keep in mind, "Jazz Ultimate" and "Coast Concert" are not on the Hackett Mosaic, they're on the first Teagarden.

I know, I know... I missed that Teagarden set, which is why I got that twofer at all... :(

One essential recommendation and one eccentric one:

Essential: That Da Da Strain - A collection of small-group and big band sides from 1938 and 1939. The stuff with Pee Wee Russell is especially nice. It's been on various CBS labels over the years - I've got it on a Portrait LP.

Eccentric: Hello Louis - A mid-60's album of Bobby playing Louis Armstrong compositions, common and obscure. It's a strange quasi-dixieland band, with Steve Lacy(!) on soprano sax. I like it a lot, but it certainly shouldn't be at the top of anyone's must-have Hackett list. It looks like it's out on a Collectibles CD, paired with one of his mood music albums.

And one of my dirty little secrets is that I like Bobby Hackett's mood music albums.

i love them, too, especially the duo one with glenn osser on pipe organ, and the gleason stuff, of course.

i've played the tony bennet "the very thought of you'' easily a million times, mainly for the mindblowing hackett solo. the tension he builds in that solo is nearly unbearable.

Can someone tell me what are the Gleason records--how many are there? Yesterday I bought "Music, Martinis and Memories" :)Also found "Bobby Hackett-The Most Beautiful Horn in the World" on Columbia which is excellent as well as "Enoch Light presents The Bobby Hackett Quartet plus Vic Dickerson"...I collect Hackett records like kids collect baseball cards :)

Also which Tony Bennett LP has Hackett on it?

What about CREOLE COOKIN' on Verve with Bob Brookmeyer, Jerry Dodgion, Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, Joe Farrell, Bob Wilber, Dave McKenna and others! Probably one of my favourite Hackett LPs...

I suggested that one to Mosaic as a Single one time, but didn't hear anything beyond "we'll look at it," which is their stock answer to irritants like me. I think it's a great album that really captures Hackett's gorgeous tone well, and I've always wondered if there weren't more things recorded at that session worth issuing.

greg mo

Not Dixieland by any means but one disc I've always enjoyed consists of a live date in early '71 that features Hackett in the company of Mary Lou Williams and Dizzy. Very worth hearing.

61HEQRH8P7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

is this the one?

Dizzy Gillespie - Giants (Perception PLP19, Festival [F]402151)

Dizzy Gillespie, Bobby Hackett (tp) Mary Lou Williams (p) George Duvivier (b) Grady Tate (d)

Concert "Overseas Press Club", New York, January 31, 1971

Love for Sale

Autumn Leaves

Caravan

Jitterbug Waltz

Willow Weep for Me

Birks' Works

My Man

All titles also on: Festival 215, Jazz View (G)015 [CD] titled "Dizzy Gillespie Meets Mary Lou Williams"

never heard of it, looks interesting!

Not Dixieland by any means but one disc I've always enjoyed consists of a live date in early '71 that features Hackett in the company of Mary Lou Williams and Dizzy. Very worth hearing.

61HEQRH8P7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

is this the one?

Dizzy Gillespie - Giants (Perception PLP19, Festival [F]402151)

Dizzy Gillespie, Bobby Hackett (tp) Mary Lou Williams (p) George Duvivier (b) Grady Tate (d)

Concert "Overseas Press Club", New York, January 31, 1971

Love for Sale

Autumn Leaves

Caravan

Jitterbug Waltz

Willow Weep for Me

Birks' Works

My Man

All titles also on: Festival 215, Jazz View (G)015 [CD] titled "Dizzy Gillespie Meets Mary Lou Williams"

never heard of it, looks interesting!

It is interesting, and got an excellent review in Down Beat at the time, if memory serves, but the sound quality isn't very good. Provided you overlook that, it's a very interesting session. Dizzy and Mary Lou enjoyed something of a mutual admiration society.

greg mo

What about CREOLE COOKIN' on Verve with Bob Brookmeyer, Jerry Dodgion, Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, Joe Farrell, Bob Wilber, Dave McKenna and others! Probably one of my favourite Hackett LPs...

I suggested that one to Mosaic as a Single one time, but didn't hear anything beyond "we'll look at it," which is their stock answer to irritants like me. I think it's a great album that really captures Hackett's gorgeous tone well, and I've always wondered if there weren't more things recorded at that session worth issuing.

greg mo

Mosaic pretty much told me there will be no new "Singles". . . at least not for some time.

greg mo

Mosaic pretty much told me there will be no new "Singles". . . at least not for some time.

That's too bad!

Would that mean that the Johnson/Winding is gone? I wanted to add it to several orders, but it's always been "on backorder", whatever that now means...

Probably that will reappear, but there will be no new ones, none are planned. I suggested a Roulette Phineas Newborn title and the response included a comment that there are no plans for new Singles.

Edited by jazzbo

greg mo

That is bad news. I guess they must not have sold well. Any notion how we could suggest it to Verve for its "Originals" series?!

greg mo

• 1 month later...

Visit My Website

greg mo

Lonehill is now releasing "Creole Cookin'" along with "Strike Up The Band", a nice 70's session with Hackett, Zoot Sims, Hank Jones, Bucky Pizzarelli, Richard Davis and Mel Lewis on cd.

http://www.amazon.com/Strike-Up-Band-Creol...5217&sr=1-1

Visit My Website

greg mo

Lonehill is now releasing "Creole Cookin'" along with "Strike Up The Band", a nice 70's session with Hackett, Zoot Sims, Hank Jones, Bucky Pizzarelli, Richard Davis and Mel Lewis on cd.

http://www.amazon.com/Strike-Up-Band-Creol...5217&sr=1-1

Thanks *very* much for this heads-up. Of course, I wish it was somebody other than Lonehill, but if that's the only place I can get it....sigh.

greg mo