Life before children

Big Al

I have been thoroughly enjoying DrJ’s baby pictures. This evening, at home, I found a picture of my son from when he was just a few months old, and I got to thinking: I can’t really comprehend what life was like before he was born. It feels like he’s always been with us, despite the fact that he’s only 7. As an extension, my wife and I will have been married 10 years in January, and I cannot even BEGIN to comprehend what life was like before she entered my life. Nor do I want to.

So I was wondering if DrJ, and other dads at this Bored (new and vets) ever have this feeling?

It ain't no ball of wax sometimes but when my son (who is 12 goes on a sleepover; now there's a misnomer if I ever heard one because no one get any sleep :lol:), it's very quiet around here. I just can't imagine what it will be like when he finally goes off to college. It'll be strange. At this point I can't remember what life was like before he was around.

Our two month old baby girl still looks like a Who from Whooville when she gets up in the night to eat: arms and legs tucked under, peanut shaped body all scruntched face down into the nape of my neck. She had four vaccine shots today. Misery.

The two and half year old daughter has taken to sleeping in bed every morning around 5 a.m., which is about when I've been hitting the hay lately. Louise, the two year old, was quietly laughing to herself on my pillow when I went up to bed this morning. I listened, and off along the coastline of Lake Michigan, crossing the Grand River, was a morning frieght train movin' on. "Do you hear the train, Lu?" More laughing, then she yells, "Big CHOO CHOO!" loud enough to wake the neighborhood. My wife stirred. "Daddy: HOME!" "Yes Lu, it would appear so." And pulling the scarf over my eyes, "Daddy MEEP (translated from "Minky," i.e. a small personal blanket). "Yes Lu. Do you hear the train? Listen." "Yeahhhhhh, outside... fawr away." "Very good, honey, now let's go to sleep." "Oh-tay."

When she whines she sounds just like Bob Dylan. Imagine Dylan singing, "Dora Fruit Snacks" as "Dorah zoot fracks" and you can imagine the sound.

Is this my life?

My wife entered my life almost 30 years ago, and I can not remember what life was like before we met. I also can't remember very well what life was like before our kids came along (our oldest is 16). Oh... yeah, we had two dogs, and THEY were our "kids" back then (do I get any points for remembering that, Al?). Anyway, I know what you mean, and I agree- life had far less meaning before. I mean, all I did back in the dark ages was collect music.......... :huh: ........... hmm, maybe things haven't changed THAT much! :P;)

BTW, our son just hosted a "sleepover" (for about the third time). I'm still trying to figure out how we parents get talked into allowing this to happen! (they went to sleep a 4 am)

Edited by Jim R

I have an 11year old son & I've been married 16 years. I have a vague recollection of living before then, and I even have a birth certificate, etc. that prove I did exist before then.

Those sleepovers should be called all-nighters! My son & I sometimes go to visit a friend of mine who has a son the same age, and we stay overnight. The next morning he usually looks like he's been up all night, but that's what kids do at that age. I love it!

Been married for 20 years, got a 17.5 year old and a 13 year old. I remember what life was like before them. We had no responsibilty to anyone besides ourselves, which was really cool, but could easily have led to some serious self-indulgences had we not brought these two lives into the world.

Having kids makes somebody ELSE the center of your world, at least it did ours, and all of a sudden you gotta start THINKING about stuff, not just going on reflex. All of a sudden, sacrifice becomes, not just necessary, but genuinely attractive and deeply rewarding - and it knows no end. As they grow older, the self-tendency to put up with excuses and whining diminishes greatly as you get bombarded with it and eventually come to realize that more often than not, it's a TEST, and if you give in, EVERYBODY fails. Also, the hypocrisy meter gets a lot more attenuated, as you realize that you can't say one thing and do another without your kids missing NO opportunity to practice what you do long before they even entertain the idea of entertaining the idea of what you say. Big reality check there, Jack.

My life without kids was very different, and a HELLUVA lot easier, but I seriously doubt that it was better. In fact, I KNOW that it wasn't. Many of my friends are childless, and they are doing fine, but if I hadn't have had the family I have, I doubt that I could say the same about myself. Life seems to have a natural system of checks and balances built into it, and kids was a part of mine. They're DEFINITELY works in progress, but aren't we all?

Edited by JSngry

My life without kids was very different, and a HELLUVA lot easier, but I seriously doubt that it was better. In fact, I KNOW that it wasn't.

Same goes for me.

Though, I do miss having the freedom to pop an LP on the turntable and sit back and listen....

Instead, I watch endless DVD showings of Dora the Explorer....

Aw Man!....

:lol:

My son was born just over three years ago & when i think of my life before then I always get a feeling that something was missing (does that make sense?).

I now also have a daugther who was one on Saturday - I can honestly say no matter how shitty some days can be i just look at them & everythings OK.

I can honestly say I've never been happier.

Africa , I dont know what 'Dora the explorer' is but surely it cant be as bad as 'Barney In Concert' last thing at night & first thing in the morning day in day out. :wacko:

Gary,

I actually think Barney would be worse. :lol:

You have my sympathies.

You make a good point about life missing something. Being a parent has been the toughest thing I've ever done, yet it is the most fulfilling. I've experienced the whole range of emotions.

Another one of my 2 year old's faves is the Wiggles. You probably have them in England, since they're an Australian export.

I know all their songs. They're going through my head right now. :lol:

Arrrggh! The Wiggles! They are not so bad watching just one episode, but after a while all their songs sound exactly the same! And what is up with that Pirate character, anyways. Well, they still beat the heck out of Barney.

I have a 16 month old son, and have another on the way in late March. Another boy! Just found out on Monday. That makes 7 grandsons for my wifes parents. Guess I don't have to buy any new clothes now. What a relief. :)

I love being a dad. I remember life before, but much prefer life now!

Congratulations Jim!

Yeah, Captain Feathersword... He's a strange cat.

The monotony of the Wiggles is pretty tough to take. Sometimes, I really would rather watch paint dry. :lol:

Another thing my son loves to watch is that live action movie version of Scooby Doo. I have watched that move so many times that I actually can recite the dialogue. I freaked me wife out the other day with this ability. :lol:

Zoinks! :lol:

Another thing my son loves to watch is that live action movie version of Scooby Doo. I have watched that move so many times that I actually can recite the dialogue. I freaked me wife out the other day with this ability. :lol:

Zoinks! :lol:

A sorry waste of brain cells, AB. ;) You could be using those valuable cells to memorize Shakespeare or Old Testament Psalms, or Christ's Sermon on the Mount, or the complete chronology of US presidents from Washington to Dubya :lol: or better yet....

The complete unabridged Blue Note catalog. :g

I hope you guys don't mind this, but here's my son back when he was 6 months old (He's 2 years old now) eating solid food for the first time.

Hmmmmm what are you doing? This isn't my bottle.

020210_01_Dsc00234.jpg

Smells pretty good. I'm getting tired of that formula.

020210_02_Dsc00235.jpg

This tastes pretty darn good!

020210_03_Dsc00236.jpg

Give me more! NOW! I can't get enough of this stuff!

020210_04_Dsc00257.jpg

:g