Life before children

Big Al

Having children is such a wonderful experience. It does totally change your life but as I’ve stated before it is worth every minute of the experience. My kids are 25 and 23, technically adults, though I still and will always refer to them as “my kids”. The interaction with the kids has changed. They are responsible for their actions. I reserve the right to give mommy lectures when they do something that pisses me off or is just plain stupid. (I’m 45 and I still do some pretty stupid things) They both know that no matter what I love them and I’m there for them. They both still come to me for advice. I’m so lucky, they both call just to say I love you. (No empty nest syndrome in this household)

My attitude had reached the “been there, done that” mode in regards to raising children to adulthood. We just found out this week that my son will be shipping out to Iraq. His wife who is also in the military has received a stop-loss. She was due to be discharged from the military about the same time she will now also be going to Iraq. I will be moving over 3000 miles away to take care of my two grandchildren who are 5 and 6. And here I thought I was all done with raising kids. (Thank goodness they are out of diapers). It was time to be the FUN grandmother. Buy the annoying toys and ship them home with the kids. The responsibility part would be mom and dads.

I am in some ways more apprehensive about this change in my life than I was when I learned I was pregnant with my son.

At 42, I found myself divorced with three kids with whom I (luckily) spend a significant amount of time with. Once we collectively got over the "divorce is f*#&ed" thing, it has been back to normal - that is to say, an often chaotic but very rewarding rewarding. It is fun to read everyone's comments and just smile.

BTW, just my opinion, but Mary Kate and Ashley are extraordinarily low on the talent level :P

Very cute pics Jeff!

Eric

Edited by Eric

BTW, just my opinion, but Mary Kate and Ashley are extraordinarily low on the talent level :P

Good point!

What do they do (other than just make money)? I remember them playing this little girl on Full House, but....

Heck, it took both of them to play that one character.... :lol: (just kiddin', I know how the labor laws work).

One of my greatest joys is the fact that my son loves music. He has amazing rhythm for a two year old. I was playing my banjo the other day, and he was tapping the head of the banjo along with me IN TIME!!!! :excited:

AfrcaBrass:

The Wiggles!!

My wife and daughter are seeing them next Tuesday in Richmond- I'm looking forward to it since she'll have a great time! It's a secret......

That's the artist I play the most: my 3.83 year old girl wants to hear them almost every day when we drive into preschool/daycare........Very little time for "daddy music".....although she's been listening to the Grateful Dead during tubby.......she's home with her Mom today so I had some Stevie Ray Vaughan cranked real loud for my drive into work today!

Those occasions are rare.

That's great, vajerzy! Your daughter is going to go nuts!

If the Wiggles perform near me, I know I have to take my son to see them. He'd have a ball.

I'm glad to hear that you're playing the Grateful Dead for your daughter! I do the same thing, but only when my wife is out of the house. I figure it's best to get them on the bus as early as possible.

I also feel that I need to reverse the damage my wife is doing to my son's musical tasts. :lol:

I figure he'll get the contemporary hits of today from her, and the obscure stuff from me. Hopefully, he'll be very well rounded.

I'm also trying to get him to be interested enough in music to want to be a musician. :D

Here's a picture from last weekend of him playing his guitar and singing: :g

AfricaBrass-

Good looking kid! Hittin' on all sixes!

My little one is intrigued by the piano- she sits down and starts playing with both hands and looks like she has the finger technique already.......me, about the only thing I can play is the radio..... :rolleyes: we're going to get a used casio standup from a friend and she what see does with it.

Her Mom will play country music- she hears the Dick's Picks from me...

If I can figure how to post a picture I'll do that of one with her playing the piano...

Fruit salad, yummy, yummy.......

:rolleyes:

Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by vajerzy

Don't forget the James Brown! When my son was two I started playing JB for him, and he loved to sing along to 'Make it Funky'(easy lyrics), 'Say it Loud...', etc. When he was in first grade he was asked what his favorite singer was and he wrote JB! He's eleven now and taking saxophone lessons and starting to learn a little bit of Bird!

Thanks Jim!

BTW - He does like Johnny Cash! I'm making sure of that. :D

He's "the Kid in Black!"

My son is having a "sleepover" right now with his best friend. I may be here awhile...... :wacko::excited: B)

I should also mention that I have a daughter, who's actually my step-daughter. I love her with all my heart, as if she were my blood daughter. Not a moment has gone by that I didn't wish she was. I've known her since she was three, and married her mother when she was six. I didn't mention this in my first post because I really feel like I missed something in her first three years. There have been times I've told her I wished I'd known her mom back when our daughter was born; how I wish I could've held her when she was a baby; helped with the diaper-changing and all that. I've known her most of her life, and we share a close relationship that some blood father-daughters don't even share. Needless to say, I consider myself doubly lucky for having married her mother, and gotten the opportunity to help raise this beautiful young lady. But I will always feel like I've missed a huge chunk of her life.

So, in all honesty, I can't really talk about "life before kids," because when my wife and I said "I do," it was instant fatherhood for me, and I've been loving every minute of it.......even the difficult moments (as any parent of a teenager will tell you).

And that's the other reason I didn't bring this up in my first post: she is a teenager after all, convinced that someone somewhere is watching her every move so that it can be reported at school the very next day. I can just see it now:

FRIEND: "Your dad said some very nice things about you."

MY DAUGHTER: [[[[[[sIGH]]]]]]]

:g

I just finished 2 1/2 days taking care of my son (who is sick, of course) while my wife was out of town. This is my first break. Of course, the first thing I do is head to the computer and say hello.

That's a nice story, Big Al! Those kids are lucky to have you as their dad. I was one of those kids who had stepparents. Unfortunately, mine never took me in like you have with your kids. My parents divorce and subsequent remarriage(s) wrecked me. It probably would have made my life a whole lot easier if I would have been accepted by my stepparents. :tup

PHILLYQ, I made a point to play some JB for my son this weekend. He really got into it. :D

Vajerzy, You sound just like me! My wife plays contemporary country music while I'm always spinnin' the Dick's Picks (and other live shows :D )

Vajerzy, You sound just like me! My wife plays contemporary country music while I'm always spinnin' the Dick's Picks (and other live shows  )

Between her Mom and me, she's got a lot of music covered....I like the Dick's Picks and I believe she does too!!

Big Al- I have two stepchildren and I love them as much as my own....I met them when they were in their teens (they're 25 and 20 now) and they introduce me as their Dad, which is a cool thing.... :rolleyes: I had the pleasure to walk Jennifer down the aisle last year.....that was awesome!

Also- we adopted our 3.85 year old this past July and previously were doing foster care for her since Jan 2002.....she was 23 months when she arrived in our home......I didn't have *clue* about diapering, and generally taking care of a toddler.....when I changed my first diaper.....oh my God......that will be seared in my memory forever......but you know what??...all parents don't know for their first one but you make do.....even though she is biologically not mine- it doesn't matter......she *is* mine through and through....it's an awesome experience......draining, frustrating, exhiliarating.......but most of all- Rewarding.

My boys are 36 and 35 years old (nearly 38 years marriage). But of course nobody shares my two really important things:

1.Mathematics 2.Jazz. (I knew this before - that helps!).

"Nevertheless" we all have a great relation.

But since 18 months there is new hope - a cute lovely girl-our grandchild. Perhaps

she reallizes about the great connection of a professional mathematican and an aficinado of Jazz.

Jürgen