Bill Evans - Secret Sessions

BeBop

http://www.secondspin.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=791423

Use coupon code: SSBIGAUGUST for 20% off your entire order and free shipping.

Seller reports having two in stock (then again, that's what they said about the Art Pepper box, and I KNOW there were heaps of those sold.)

As with the Oldies debacle, I assume no responsibility or liability. I've ordered from this outfit in the past (and visited their stores), so I don't have any reason to think this'll turn out to be a mess. But you're on your own.

Post something here if the inventory is, in fact, depleted.

Edited by BeBop

I think that any time they list less than 9 copies then that is the number of copies they actually have in stock. If they list that they have 9 copies that means they have anywhere from 9 to 9+++ copies like when they had the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box listed. I'm guessing the window of opportunity has passed on this one.

http://www.secondspin.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=896503

Still 3 copies of the Pepper out there. Use the coupon and it's dirt-cheap.

They must of had a big stockpile of these several months ago because they were practically giving them away back then. I paid $12.53 for the set delivered. Still, the current offering less the discount would be $19.19 which is still a great price for this box set.

If I bought each of those Coltrane boxes, would I be missing any dates, sideman or leader? And which? Seems so, as both together are less than the old 16-disc box.

Yes, I've been considering buying the big red Coltrane box too, The Prestige Recordings. True Blue Music still has it, but kind of pricey even considering their recent sale price.

Who can recommend the red box over the two smaller boxes, Interplay and Fearless Leader? The latter are remastered whereas the red box hails from the early 1990's. I have the Complete Riverside Thelonious Monk from that period and have no qualms about sound quality.

Thanks for the tip. Good deal with the coupon. Are all of these titles actually used, or are some of these boxes just clearance priced/cutout?

My order:

Bill Evans ~ Secret Sessions

Bill Charlap ~ Somewhere: The Songs of Leonard Bernstein

Bill Charlap ~ Along With Me

Bud Powell ~ Bud Plays Bird

Compay Segundo ~ Calle Salud

Dizzy Gillespie ~ Complete RCA Victor Recordings: 1947-1949

Fred Hersch ~ Plays Rodgers & Hammerstein

Guillermo Klein ~ Nave

Jane Bunnett ~ Spirits of Havana

Jane Bunnett ~ Cuban Odyssey

Ted Nash ~ Sidewalk Meeting

Original Broadway Cast ~ In the Heights

Edited by Patrick

If I bought each of those Coltrane boxes, would I be missing any dates, sideman or leader? And which? Seems so, as both together are less than the old 16-disc box.

Yes, I've been considering buying the big red Coltrane box too, The Prestige Recordings. True Blue Music still has it, but kind of pricey even considering their recent sale price.

Who can recommend the red box over the two smaller boxes, Interplay and Fearless Leader? The latter are remastered whereas the red box hails from the early 1990's. I have the Complete Riverside Thelonious Monk from that period and have no qualms about sound quality.

That's okay, BeBop, you can whack this thread if you want. I've spent the last couple of hours pouring over old threads dealing with this topic and the jury seems to be split. Some folks swear by the big box, including the sound quality; others think the smaller boxes sound better and are more manageable.

For me I sorely missed out on the Concord blowout that had this set priced at $70 three summers ago. But today I can buy the two smaller sets for $50 including tax with the secondspin sale (good until 8/13), so I'm roughly in the same ballpark.

BTW, whatever happened to that promised 3rd set that was supposed to include everything else (Coltrane as a sideman)? Did it ever materialize?

we must have discussed this several times (indeed, here for instance

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry809459

)

in short: interplay contains co-led and all-star sessions, it is highly doubtful whether an initially planned third box that would have contained the sideman appearances will ever appear; that box would have contained recordings led by elmo hope, tadd dameron, mal waldron, gene ammons, ray draper (and probably some more ...))

Sorry to keep this thread going, but...

SecondSpin just lowered the price today by $8! Now it's an extremely good deal at $20.99 for either the Interplay or Fearless Leader sets. They have lots of them so I would expect their condition to be similar to the Art Pepper Village Vanguard sets they were selling earlier this year (brand new and practically giving them away, as one member put it). August 20% off / free shipping promotion good through tomorrow.

And to think I almost pushed the button last night before posting my questions on this thread...