Help for a newbie!

JessD

Wow, 25 posts and not a single Kenny G crack. Everyone is being sooo well-behaved today! I agree with the Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' recommendation. I always start with that album as Jazz 101 for people new to the music, based on merit, historicity, and widespread acclaim (John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" is 102, but that doesn't fit the description of what you're looking for). Welcome to the board, and have fun - there's so much great stuff to discover!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always feel the best way is to find a radio programme you can listen to for an hour or two each week - you'll be constantly surprised. And you'll evolve your own taste more quickly.

I'm sure posters here who live on the West Coast can point you to a reliable station/programme.

Over here in the UK we have a long running weekly show called Jazz Record Requests that does a weekly hour of a complete mix of (mainly tonal...not much free) jazz - you'll hear 1920s jazz next to a recent recording followed by a bit of 30s swing followed, perhaps, by a blues song. Can be heard on the web for a week after broadcast, though I'm not sure if it is accessible outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tnn9

Worth a try. Though I'm sure there are similar (or better) programmes closer to you.

I always feel the best way is to find a radio programme you can listen to for an hour or two each week - you'll be constantly surprised. And you'll evolve your own taste more quickly.

I'm sure posters here who live on the West Coast can point you to a reliable station/programme.

Over here in the UK we have a long running weekly show called Jazz Record Requests that does a weekly hour of a complete mix of (mainly tonal...not much free) jazz - you'll hear 1920s jazz next to a recent recording followed by a bit of 30s swing followed, perhaps, by a blues song. Can be heard on the web for a week after broadcast, though I'm not sure if it is accessible outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tnn9

Worth a try. Though I'm sure there are similar (or better) programmes closer to you.

That's a great idea. Our very own member "ghost of miles" has an excellent jazz show and previous shows are archived, so there is a wealth of great music to sample!

Edited by Free For All

Wow, 25 posts and not a single Kenny G crack. Everyone is being sooo well-behaved today!

Well, IMHO, when someone references "smooth" and "putting to sleep" its probably not a bad idea to direct him to the G-Spot. It might be an unfortunate choice of words - "smooth" - but there's certainly a chance that is the music he is looking for. The only thing that doesn't fit is that he suggests what he likes might fall into the blues category and G-Whiz wouldn't know a blues progression if it bit him on the ass.

Seriously, eliminating Kenny G would go along way toward establishing that this person's tastes are in synch with at least some of the jazz that is popular on the forum. If that's the case, I'd second the nomination of The Blue Hour sessions by Turrentine + The Three Sounds (though the original issue fits the bill better than the complete sessions) and would add the "Ballads" compilations Blue Note put out for Ike Quebec, Stanley Turrentine, and Dexter Gordon.

albumcoverJimmyGiuffre3-1961-ECM.jpg

youremythrill.jpg

b00006go9q01lzzzzzzz.jpg

gil_individualism.jpg

HeroesAndAntiHeroes.gifanti_heroes.jpg

a.o.

Seriously though, I always go into a blissful, relaxed state while listening to Interstellar Space and Ascension. Not sure how that happens, but it happens every time. Does this music have a similar effect on anyone else?

The former, yes, not so much the latter.

youremythrill.jpg

If that, then this....

8DE97FA1F6F54D83816FD381A0218AE1.jpg

You'd think, but for me...no. The earlier album bogs down under it's own weight as it goes along, whereas the later one is to the point and floats confidently all the way. If the Here's To Life is a storm that eventually causes flooding, You're My Thrill is a steady shower that just saturates the ground and then stops to let the sun come out.

Mind you, I'm not getting rid of my copy of Here's To Life... ;)

a.o.

Seriously though, I always go into a blissful, relaxed state while listening to Interstellar Space and Ascension. Not sure how that happens, but it happens every time. Does this music have a similar effect on anyone else?

Yeah... I don't know what to say about that. Ascension should do the exact opposite, I'd think.

For me the classic Shirley recordings are the SteepleChase discs A Lazy Afternoon and Violets for Your Furs. I had some personal dealings with this wonderful lady and she was Just That!

I can go with that, easily, but maybe not for the whole smooth/trance/thing that seems to be the motive behind this thread. But Tatanka, if you're listening, yeah, don't stop on Shirley unless you've heard these two.

a.o.

Yeah... I don't know what to say about that. Ascension should do the exact opposite, I'd think.

Eh, maybe not. This shit is so subjective...

youremythrill.jpg

If that, then this....

8DE97FA1F6F54D83816FD381A0218AE1.jpg

You'd think, but for me...no. The earlier album bogs down under it's own weight as it goes along, whereas the later one is to the point and floats confidently all the way. If the Here's To Life is a storm that eventually causes flooding, You're My Thrill is a steady shower that just saturates the ground and then stops to let the sun come out.

Mind you, I'm not getting rid of my copy of Here's To Life... ;)

I have Here's To Life (and like it a lot), but not You're My Thrill. IIRC, on Here's To Life, Johnny Mandel was orchestrating the arrangements that Shirley had done; her reharmonizations, etc. Is it the same deal on You're My Thrill, or was there a different collaborative thing that maybe accounts for the different assessment?