LF Moby Grape 1st album

That might be a hard find. AFAIK the Sundazed reissue was withdrawn for legal reasons ( cover art copyright?) I recently picked up a UK 1980s LP reissue which sounds great, interesting album which deserves to be more widely available.

Yes, but I'm sure there must be the odd one lying around somewhere, with its owners unaware of its potential value!

It's no biggie, but it'd be nice as I'm currently besotted with early SF stuff - Charlatans, Mojo Men, Great Society, Mystery Trend, We Five, Frumious Bandersnatch, Mad River and so on.

I don't know the precise details - there's an explanation at wikipedia, but natch I don't know how accurate it is.

But by ALL accounts, the band's former manager is a cross between the devil incarnate and a greedy, using SOB.

The Moby Grape anthology 'Vintage', released on Columbia Legacy in 1993, contained the entire first album (plus 35 more tracks), in excellent sound for the time that CD set was released, and goes for under $30 on Amazon. It was done by the Sundazed team on a contract basis with Columbia, and may make a good substitute for you. I have it at home, and only really keep it for that debut album (especially "Omaha"). Skip Spence on his own is totally lost to my ears/mind. 'Oar' sounds like a drugged-out mess rather than a resurrected classic to me.

Edited by felser

The Moby Grape anthology 'Vintage', released on Columbia Legacy in 1993, contained the entire first album (plus 35 more tracks), in excellent sound for the time that CD set was released, and goes for under $30 on Amazon. It was done by the Sundazed team on a contract basis with Columbia, and may make a good substitute for you. I have it at home, and only really keep it for that debut album (especially "Omaha"). Skip Spence on his own is totally lost to my ears/mind. 'Oar' sounds like a drugged-out mess rather than a resurrected classic to me.

Yep, thanks, that'll do it for me.

I'm not necessarily committed to obtaining the best sound of this or anything else at all costs, so this should work.

I've read that the reissues available on San Francisco Sound, however, do have shabby sound ane are directly related to the aforementioned manager.

Edited by kenny weir