AACM in Pop Culture!

Spontooneous

My local record-store-owner buddy hipped me to this several years ago:

In 1980 longtime friends Greg Steltenpohl, Gerry Percy, and Bonnie Bassett started squeezing fresh orange juice in a backyard shed in Santa Cruz, California. With the aid of a used $200 hand-juicer and crates of oranges, the friends made juice and delivered it to local restaurants in vans. The founders picked the Odwalla name from a musical piece by The Art Ensemble of Chicago. According to the song, Odwalla was a leader who guided the "people of the sun" out of the "gray haze." The love-bead-swapping, flower-powered founders believed their Odwalla beverages would help create "a clearing in 'the gray haze' of the processed foods market." Since its inception, Odwalla has had an average annual growth rate of approximately 40 percent; it is presently the largest fresh juice brand in the western United States.

Odwalla

Odwalla's a pretty popular beverage line at our three local health-food co-ops here in B-town.

Chicago roots, yes (although I've been told by esteemed member Ed Rhodes - who was definitely there - that I overstate the degree, so in deference to somebody whose opinion I fully respect, let's say some Chicago roots, and let me throw in my still-held opinion that Charles Stepney was the "crystallizing element" for that band), but direct, connect-the-dots AACM roots...not among the key figures, but....both Henry Threadgill & Roscoe Mitchell openly express their admiration for Don Myrick: http://www.jayepurplewolf.com/EARTHWINDFIR...henixhorns.html

Is this site accurate in stating that Myrick was a founding member of the AACM?