Led Zeppelin - Complete Recordings Japanese set

JETman

If anyone is interested, Amazon has a Gold Box deal on this today only for $99.99. It contains mini-lp replicas of their studio albums plus the 2 cd The Song Remains the Same. Very fine attention to detail, much like the Beatles Mono Box Set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Collectio...54MPVZPKSJN339M

I may have to jump on this one. Sigh.

Does anyone happen to know (Matthew, I think you picked this one up already?) if the Song Remains the Same set in this box is the SAME as the recent expanded reissue?

It is exactly the same. Coda also includes the 4 tracks not previously included on any studio album. Btw, this set is not SHM-cd, but for $100, who cares?

Hey, good pick up Erik! I really like this box set, and now you have all six covers for ITTOD -- your life is complete.

It really is a beautiful set! I think it's funny that they packaged each of the extra ITTOD covers in separate plastic sleeves, as well as the alternate LZ1 cover.

I now have a few duplicate CDs that will end up in the sale/trade pile, but it seemed like the best way to get everything, at a good price.

re: ITTOD, I am almost curious enough to dab a wet cloth across the inner sleeve of this one, to see if the colors show up, like they did on the original LP sleeve. Not gonna do it though.

Edited by Aggie87

Hey, good pick up Erik! I really like this box set, and now you have all six covers for ITTOD -- your life is complete.

It really is a beautiful set! I think it's funny that they packaged each of the extra ITTOD covers in separate plastic sleeves, as well as the alternate LZ1 cover.

Whatz dat? I never knew about an alt LZ1 cover!

Anyway...seems like I missed a great deal on this set.

re: ITTOD, I am almost curious enough to dab a wet cloth across the inner sleeve of this one, to see if the colors show up, like they did on the original LP sleeve. Not gonna do it though.

That also happened to me in college, but I spilled beer on it though.... Schlitz will do that, ya know? :blush:

52006s.jpg

Whatz dat? I never knew about an alt LZ1 cover!

Same image, just different font color...

40e5c060ada061c038b9f110.L.jpg

e7f0c060ada0aa7ad1b9f110.L.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

I now have a few duplicate CDs that will end up in the sale/trade pile, but it seemed like the best way to get everything, at a good price.

I'm wondering if this set sounds markedly better than the Led Zeppelin 10-disc box set put out in 1993 (remastered by Jimmy Page, I believe).

Have you heard those for a comparison?

I'm wondering if this set sounds markedly better than the Led Zeppelin 10-disc box set put out in 1993 (remastered by Jimmy Page, I believe).

I had the 1993 box set, which I enjoyed a lot, and had very good sound. The new box set is better sound wise, but as Lon said, it's not a "new Beatles" kind of improvement. I'm a Led Zeppelin sicko, so I had to get this for the whole package it presents: Improved sound, great graphic reproduction, the extra album covers, all that. * Sigh* I love Led Zeppelin, watching the DVD last night reminded me what a monster Page was on the guitar. Great power riffs flowed out of his guitar effortlessly.

Edited by Matthew

I had the 1993 box set, which I enjoyed a lot, and had very good sound. The new box set is better sound wise, but as Lon said, it's not a "new Beatles" kind of improvement. I'm a Led Zeppelin sicko, so I had to get this for the whole package it presents: Improved sound, great graphic reproduction, the extra album covers, all that. * Sigh* I love Led Zeppelin, watching the DVD last night reminded me what a monster Page was on the guitar. Great power riffs flowed out of his guitar effortlessly.

A-freakin'-men. Those industry insiders (musicians, etc.) in the know recognize the greatness of Zep. Has been no band like them since --- and there never will be.

Wait a second! It's ok to like both, isn't it? The Beatles led me tho the Led :cool:

Same here....and the track "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on Abbey Road, amid their last recordings, has me convinced that had the Beatles remained together they would have continued to produce great and interesting stuff in the early 70s. Though the two bands have very different styles and sounds, I still think of Led Zep picking up where the Beatles left off.

Wait a second! It's ok to like both, isn't it? The Beatles led me tho the Led :cool:

Same here....and the track "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on Abbey Road, amid their last recordings, has me convinced that had the Beatles remained together they would have continued to produce great and interesting stuff in the early 70s. Though the two bands have very different styles and sounds, I still think of Led Zep picking up where the Beatles left off.

Now you have me picturing Lennon in his white Abbey Road suit with his shirt unbuttoned to his navel, howling like a banshee. :rhappy:

Now you have me picturing Lennon in his white Abbey Road suit with his shirt unbuttoned to his navel, howling like a banshee. :rhappy:

OK, just substitute Yoko for John and maybe it won't be too much of a stretch...

OK, just substitute Yoko for John and maybe it won't be too much of a stretch...

Other than the unbuttoned shirt to the navel part. ;)

Hmm, or maybe not...

29 year ago today, John Henry Bonham passed away, and thus, Led Zeppelin came to an end. My favorite image of Bonzo is the start of the Royal Albert Hall concert on the DVD, where he just rips into We're Gonna Groove, that was one bad ass groove he laid down --it just demands your full attention! RIP Bonzo, I'll be playing the mighty Zep today in your honor!

john_bonham.jpg

Edited by Matthew

My favorite image of Bonzo is the start of the Royal Albert Hall concert on the DVD, where he just rips into We're Gonna Groove, that was one bad ass groove he laid down --it just demands your full attention! RIP Bonzo, I'll be playing the mighty Zep today in your honor!

I agree -- I love that early footage of Zep. How about his incredible solo in Moby Dick at the same Royal Albert Hall date? I mean, he was doing things in there I didn't know were humanly possible until I saw them. Mezmorizing.