Led Zeppelin - Complete Recordings Japanese set

JETman

I almost pulled the trigger on the Amazon $100 deal, but decided against it. That's a great price, but I already have the "crop circle" 4-CD box set.

So, I guess I've got at least six choices:

1) Buy the "Definitive Collection" set -- (buy.com has it for $109)

2) Buy the "Volume 2 Box Set", which would fill in the gaps of the set I already have (~$35-$40)

3) Buy the "Complete Recordings" set (~$75)

4) Skip all of it and buy more _new_ music (Threadgill, Iyer, PT, etc)

5) Do both... #1 and #4

6) Do nothing and be happy with what I already have

Any advice? :)

Is the sound/mastering on the "Definitive Collection" any better than the "crop circle" box? I read lots of threads on that subject on the Hoffman forums, but I'm still confused! :huh:

Is the sound/mastering on the "Definitive Collection" any better than the "crop circle" box? I read lots of threads on that subject on the Hoffman forums, but I'm still confused! :huh:

That's one reason why I still have it all on my original vinyl. :lol: (For CD/digital listening/watching I have the post-breakup releases (BBC, How The West Was Won), DVDs and lotsa boots.)

I almost pulled the trigger on the Amazon $100 deal, but decided against it. That's a great price, but I already have the "crop circle" 4-CD box set.

So, I guess I've got at least six choices:

1) Buy the "Definitive Collection" set -- (buy.com has it for $109)

2) Buy the "Volume 2 Box Set", which would fill in the gaps of the set I already have (~$35-$40)

3) Buy the "Complete Recordings" set (~$75)

4) Skip all of it and buy more _new_ music (Threadgill, Iyer, PT, etc)

5) Do both... #1 and #4

6) Do nothing and be happy with what I already have

Any advice? :)

There are many on the Hoffman board who believe that the original cd releases (ie., the Diament masterings) are the best. There are just too many choices and too little time. Me -- I have the original vinyl (which I never play), the 4 cd crop circle box, the 2 cd gap filler box, the 10 cd box, the new 12 cd Japanese box, the BBC stuff, How the West was Won, and the 2 DVD's. Enough? I think so!

I put the deal in my cart that day, but didn't know I had to consummate that day. The next day it was like $160.

:(

Go for the set on buy.com: $109!

Too many choices and not enough time (or money!) is a very good description of the problem.

I still have some original vinyl, but don't play it much, either. Sounds like the best thing for me to do is to find the 2-CD gap filler set used.

• 2 weeks later...

JETman, thanks for the heads up. I received my set today - the presentation is truly outstanding, and the sound quality seems to be very good. Even with the shipping and customs fees this is still much cheaper than I could ever obtain it here in Europe.

JETman, thanks for the heads up. I received my set today - the presentation is truly outstanding, and the sound quality seems to be very good. Even with the shipping and customs fees this is still much cheaper than I could ever obtain it here in Europe.

You're welcome. Enjoy!