Ella Fitzgerald Complete Songbooks set?

Nutty

I found a used copy a couple years back for well under half the original list price...and that was on half.com, out in plain view! If you're interested, and can get a deal, I'd highly recommend it. While I'm sure there are some sonic upgrades with the newer Master Editions of some sessions, the remastering in the box is superb, holds up well, and the mini-book and LP facsimile sleeves are great. A killer set, and the more I listen the more I'm convinced this type of thing was Ella's best setting.

ella's best,, yes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone post what's in the liners/booklet of the box?

The set includes a 119-page, hardbound booklet, with discographies of the sessions; an essay about the composers by Benny Green; a history of the songbooks by John McDonough; a handful of color or b&w photos; and also an alphabetized index of all the songs included in the box.

I bought mine used a few years after it was issued, and I've seen a number of used copies in the years since. So, keep your eyes open- you can save yourself a whole lot of $ by getting a used set.

I haven't owned any of the more recent individual CD issues, so I can't offer any help regarding the sound quality differences.

I see this box in stores less than 90 euros here in the Netherlands now...

but it's a version without the hardbound booklet!!

so beware!

JB

I see this box in stores less than 90 euros here in the Netherlands now...

but it's a version without the hardbound booklet!!

so beware!

Too late, that's the version that I got. But there's more than enough reading

material included with the individual albums, so I don't really mind for this

price. The Gershwin set alone is usually 40 Euro! I just wonder why they

included that old jewelcase edition of the Jerome Kern set - all the other

albums included are those pretty Verve gatefold editions.

Ella and Gershwin.

This one still remains the best:

B000003N3Y.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

with accompaniment by the impeccable Ellis Larkins!

It's certainly the best of her Decca material. Larkins has to be just about the most underrated pianist in the history of the music, and he was a perfect accompanist. Definitely prime Ella!

Those who consider Ella too "conventional" should start with the Cole Porter, who subversively defies convention. Miss Otis Regrets is wicked and hilarious and morbid all at once. JSngry has used "subversive" in describing Ellington, and that's not a bad alternative either. I'll be revisiting the Songbooks with some MP3 CDs on a long road trip.

Ella and Gershwin.

This one still remains the best:

B000003N3Y.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

with accompaniment by the impeccable Ellis Larkins!

It's certainly the best of her Decca material. Larkins has to be just about the most underrated pianist in the history of the music, and he was a perfect accompanist. Definitely prime Ella!

The above is a must, along with the Complete Songbooks.

The last of the Songbooks, devoted to Johnny Mercer, is an overlooked gem, beautifully recorded with superb arrangements by Nelson Riddle.

Back in the early days of Yourmusic (talking 'bout the $4.99 days) I got the set for $79.84. After a quick flurry of checking out the mastering job the box went on the shelf and there it sits. Glad I have it. Too much music, too little time.

The key is to take out the cds and store the box away somewhere. I discovered years ago that I never listened to all my boxes because they were too much of a pain to get out and put back. Once I started shelving them like regular single cds and storing the boxes, I listened to them a lot more. It's a terrible sacrifice for you not to listen to those songbooks, Chuck! That is some *great* music!

• 3 weeks later...

I played the MP3 CD of disks 9-16 on a long drive and found it quite enjoyable. Some "sweetening" here and there, but mostly the band just swings. I got the same reaction as a couple decades ago, that it was cool to hear the lyrics to tracks I had heard much more often in small group instrumental settings. Good songs, played and sung well.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread for a quick question. I stumbled over a bunch of (UK) reissues by an outfit called "Not Now Music" which has been pumping out well-known "classic albums", incl. the Ella songbooks.

Has anyone picked one of these up or has access to a shop where they might have these. I'd be interested in finding out if there is any mastering info (probably not), meaning: is this a rip-off of someone else's mastering work or did they do their own?

These boxes are reaaaaly cheap.

Example:

http://www.amazon.co...G/ref=pe_vfe_x1

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_m_h__1

Edited by neveronfriday

These are definite boots ... the question is ... of which version.

As I have the most important material (Gershwin, Ellington and ... can't recall right now) as Verve Master editions already, they could help me fill a couple of holes (or would make nice cheapo presents ... if they are worthwhile in the sound department at all.

I'm guessing they're boots of the big SB box. I'd even prefer if they were boots of the original (Dennis Drake) remasters (much better)!

Edited by neveronfriday