Earl Vandyke

Leeway

I was listening to Fred Jackson's "Hootin' 'N Tootin' " and realized I didn't have a clue about Earl Vandyke, the organist on that date. For instance, did he ever do another BN date? I checked the AMG site, which mentions Vandyke's jazz work but doesn't list any of the jazz albums. AMG describes him as highly successful musician in the soul genre, and lists many Motown dates he appears on.

Well, since Organissimo has many organ aficianados counted amongst its members, I thought I'd ask if anyone has cheked out Vandyke's work?

Earl Van Dyke went on to become a key member of the Motown musical team that included James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin, ect.(the funk brothers).

He's very hip on "Hootin' and Tootin'" and I would have loved to have heard more from him in that vein. Sadly, that's it. His solo album is pretty underwhelming and is musically in a much different direction.

Edited by Soul Stream

He's very hip on "Hootin' and Tootin'" and I would have loved to have heard more from him in that vein.  Sadly, that's it.

Ike Quebec cut two sessions in 1962 with Earl Van Dyke, Willie Jones, Sam Jones and Wilbert Hogan (which is in fact the rhythm section on Hootin' and Tootin'). These sessions have been released on The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions of Ike Quebec on Mosaic.

By the way: great picture, Aric!

I've got the Quebec 45 sessions on Mosaic but I'd love to get that Fred Jackson set. Anyone know where it can be obtained? Thanks.

I picked up an LP reissue of "Hootn' 'N Tootn" (see the Vinyl Thread for more on that). Right now, I think the only CD version is a Japanese issue. Try Red Trumpet; they have had it.

It's too bad VanDyke didn't make more of an effort in jazz; however, I bet the money was better in Motown B)

• 1 year later...

I saw a TV programme on Motown a good few years ago in which Earl was interviewed. He claimed to be the guy who came up with the idea of using chains in the rhythm section of (eventually) about five million Motown hits.

In addition to the LP, which I haven't heard, Earl made a single for Motown "How Sweet it is/I can't help myself, which I have got. Again, it's not what one would have wished to hear.

MG