The Hollies - Any Fans?

JSngry

...and not heavy at all.

Hmmm...played piano w/Lester Young, arranged for Marvin Gaye, wrote "A Taste Of Honey"...maybe not "heavy" in any one thing, but anybody with that wide a range, not just of skills but of demonstrated more-than-mere-competency is certainly no "lightweight"...

I meant in the sense of actual physical mass...or in the sense of the song, which means....um....what now?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...back to the Hollies, I kinda like the Dylan trib, maybe because it doesn't really make any sense, and

Has anyone here heard their later day Buddy Holly tribute album????????????

...back to the Hollies, I kinda like the Dylan trib, maybe because it doesn't really make any sense, and

Is there a full Holly album? I only know of one track on a Holly tribute compilation. They sing "Peggy Sue Got Married" along with Buddy's original demo.

post-1096-1258113411_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I loved the 1964-1968 Hollies stuff (the 1963 stuff was amateur covers of American R&B), especially "Look Through Any Window", "I Can't Let Go", and "Bus Stop". Can live without them after that, though I like "Long Cool Woman" and the occasional other song.

Couple of quick notes that no one else seems to have mentioned:

- The difference in the Hollies after 1968 was no Graham Nash. Together they were great, apart they were both twee. I'm not nearly as grossed out by "He Ain't Heavy" and "The Air I Breathe" as I am by "Our House" and "Teach Your Children"!.

- "Long Cool Woman" was not intended to be a Hollies single, was going to be an Allen Clarke solo record, then was rush recorded. Some sources say it was just expected to be a throwaway track. My wife loves it, so we enjoy hearing it together on the radio.

- Here is the great lost (in the USA) Hollies song, "I'm Alive". Went to #1 in England in 1965, but bombed here. Hollies arrived in US top 40 with their next 45, the awesome "Look Through Any Window".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MV3xwvKh8

Here is their version of "If I Needed Someone", which is really good, but really Beatlesque. Only went to like #19 in England due to George Harrison backlash, didn't dent charts in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpKGcWvce4