Enrico Rava / Ran Blake - Duo en noir

king ubu

This great recording seems to be out again! It's listed (twice!) in yesterday's JazzLoft news mail.

Here's how it used to look, in its old digipack version:

31JX4T4CBML._SS400_.jpg

The new cover looks different, and I guess it'll be packed in a regular jewel case (they seem to have abandoned their nice digipack/cardboard presentation a while ago - hell, they seem to have almost gone belly-up, so all news there is good news!).

50878.jpg

https://www.jazzloft.com/p-50878-due-en-noir.aspx

I'll look out for this as i missed it first time around. Between the Lines did some very fine releases including a nice one by James Emery, and John Lindberg's A Tree Frog Tonality. Looking at AMG I had no idea Lindberg had that number of releases on Between the Lines- poorly promoted I guess

The label was founded by Franz Koglmann, sponsored by some finance company (Deutsche Structured Finance), and as far as I know it almost went under. Now, I think ownership has changed, or Koglmann got out of it or something.

I guess they just never had a big budget to do marketing... but their roster is quite impressive:

Ralph Alessi, Christy Doran, Kermit Driscoll, Trevor Dunn, James Emery, dem Ensemble Plus, dem Ensemble xx Jahrhundert, Drew Gress, Gerry Hemingway, Peter Herbert, Tristan Honsinger, Francois Houle, dem Klangforum Wien, Art Lande, Peggy Lee, John Lindberg, Carl Maguire, Michael Moore, Simon Nabatov, Kevin Norton, Giorgio Occhipinti, Louis Sclavis, Gebhard Ullmann, Wolter Wierbos, Andreas Willers, Nils Wogram und Yitzhak Yedid (from wiki)

http://www.betweenthelines.de/main/index.shtml

I guess they just never had a big budget to do marketing... but their roster is quite impressive:

Ralph Alessi, Christy Doran, Kermit Driscoll, Trevor Dunn, James Emery, dem Ensemble Plus, dem Ensemble xx Jahrhundert, Drew Gress, Gerry Hemingway, Peter Herbert, Tristan Honsinger, Francois Houle, dem Klangforum Wien, Art Lande, Peggy Lee, John Lindberg, Carl Maguire, Michael Moore, Simon Nabatov, Kevin Norton, Giorgio Occhipinti, Louis Sclavis, Gebhard Ullmann, Wolter Wierbos, Andreas Willers, Nils Wogram und Yitzhak Yedid (from wiki)

That list omits quite a few more famous names: Paul Bley, Joe Lovano, Tony Coe, Andrew Cyrille, Bill Dixon, Ellery Eskelin, Wadada Leo Smith

Another hearty recommendation, though do please be aware of the rather brief playing time (more of an issue, I guess, in those days when we were all very aware of and sensitive to the 80 minute capacity of the CD).

And... hard for me to place this recording "back when", or when I wrote this up for One Final Note in 2001 as belonging now to some distant past.

Edited by Joe

Another hearty recommendation, though do please be aware of the rather brief playing time (more of an issue, I guess, in those days when we were all very aware of and sensitive to the 80 minute capacity of the CD).

And... hard for me to place this recording "back when", or when I wrote this up for One Final Note in 2001 as belonging now to some distant past.

Meant "back when" it was released. I guess if I were 18, 2001 would truly be "back when". :D

Meant "back when" it was released. I guess if I were 18, 2001 would truly be "back when". :D

And I should have said... "but you're right, Paul: 2001 actually was quite a long time ago. Especially culturally.