"John Zorn: Hardboiled Bop"

This week on Night Lights it's John Zorn's Hardboiled Bop, featuring the saxophonist's late-1980s hardbop tributes to Sonny Clark and other hardbop icons. Music from the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet and both News for Lulu albums (trio dates with guitarist Bill Frisell and trombonist George Lewis) is highlighted, as well as Zorn appearances with organist Big John Patton and saxophonist Lee Konitz, and a couple of Zorn's late-1980s noir-jazz sides. The program page also has two video clips of Zorn performing as part of the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet in 1987.

Weekly station air dates for Night Lights

John Zorn's Hardboiled Bop archived online

Next week: "Art Tatum: the Group Masterpieces."

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks Ghost! (now I gotta figure how to get that realplayer to work again)

w/o this I would never have seen those great SCMQ youtubes and would have missed perplexing myself trying to figure what little quote Chadbourne plays @3:30 (byrds? feelin a whole lot better??)

:crazy:

so when will the country and western sounds of .... be broadcast? ;) maybe should pull out the old 'There'll be no Tears Tonight'.

Have we an audio problem with the Zorn program, David? For the first time on Night Lights I can't get Real Player to work and last week's George Benson show is still playing fine. Was Man With the Golden Arm also having problems when he said "now I gotta figure how to get that realplayer to work again"?

Edited by BillF

Have we an audio problem with the Zorn program, David? For the first time on Night Lights I can't get Real Player to work and last week's George Benson show is still playing fine. Was Man With the Golden Arm also having problems when he said "now I gotta figure how to get that realplayer to work again"?

Seems to be playing OK from here. Looking forward to this one. :tup

Must be my inadequate computer. :tdown

In the Program Page, re the Hard Bop tributes, Art Lange says,"it (the group) rescues these tunes from oblivion while communicating the joy and exhilaration at their essence, and shows that a fresh, imaginative and fearless attitude can revitalize such material without mimicking older performance styles".

Well, I have to disagree. To my ears, the "jazz" alto on the "hard bop" tracks is tiring, lacks cohesion and is completely derivative... the fearless Attitude (in abundance) means the music is far from being either fresh or imaginative.

The film scores, if that's what they are, are more interesting, in a fractured kind of way ...

Q ... (Thank you for the programs).

Must be my inadequate computer. :tdown

Got it playing at last! I think I must have had a touch of "limited connectivity" :angry:

Another nice programme - good to hear that track with Konitz, which I've never heard before. Also, really must get hold of the 'News For Lulu' and 'More News For Lulu' albums.

I would have to say that 'Blue Planet Man' remains my favourite BJP album recorded with Zorn.

Edited by sidewinder

In the Program Page, re the Hard Bop tributes, Art Lange says,"it (the group) rescues these tunes from oblivion while communicating the joy and exhilaration at their essence, and shows that a fresh, imaginative and fearless attitude can revitalize such material without mimicking older performance styles".

Well, I have to disagree. To my ears, the "jazz" alto on the "hard bop" tracks is tiring, lacks cohesion and is completely derivative... the fearless Attitude (in abundance) means the music is far from being either fresh or imaginative.

The film scores, if that's what they are, are more interesting, in a fractured kind of way ...

Q ... (Thank you for the programs).

Although Zorn's music isn't to my taste, I think the program was an entirely legitimate and stimulating item in a show dedicated to classic jazz.