Which style of JAzz to you listen to most?

Jazz Groove

Most of the jazz I listen to is small group stuff that was recorded in the 60's, but I've been trying to branch out recently, with purchases ranging from Jack Teagarden to Duke Ellington to Hugh Masakela. There's still a lot out there that's missing from my collection, to be sure, but I'm glad there's still a lot that I haven't discovered. Having listened to jazz for only 7-8 years means that there are still many discoveries left for me to make. :)

A lot of old stuff (New Orleans, Dixieland), big band, bop, cool, hard bop, modal jazz, neobop... almost everything in my hands but fussion (I really can´t dig it).

My next target is free jazz. Apart from the initial avant-garde (Coltrane, Dolphy, Mingus...) I have a few free jazz recordings: some Cecil Taylor, some Archie Shepp, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Braxton, Cherry, some Ayler... I have to learn a lot!

Wolff,

Not giving ALL jazz a chance, limits your chances of having a whole new jazz experience.

I LOVE Dixieland, but certainly don't only listen to it, to the exclusion of other styles. I'm open to ANY jazz, and make a decision on whether or not I like it on a case-by-case basis.

I'm surprised that you would make such a blanket statement about Dixieland, and it saddens me that you wouldn't like Jack Teagarden, Max Kaminsky and the miriad of Dixieland musicians available to you.

People who love JAZZ are not usually that closed minded.

Geez, it's not like the guy said all Dixieland sucks and that anyone who listens to it should have his brains eaten out by a yak. Just that he doesn't listen to it.

I personally have my gear stuck in the 50's - 60's right now, although that may change in the future. I'm actually reaching a point where I'm getting tired of recordings. I love the energy of live jazz but there's none to be had in my hometown.

My apologies. The blanket statement was there and I responded to it.

I can't get into fusion, no matter how many times I try. I do hope that the standard punishment isn't having one's brain eaten out by a yak.

The first jazz that got to me was the soundtracks from films noir. Then came the totally forgettable film, "Walk On The Wild Side". I would have forgotten it, except for the Elmer Bernstein soundtrack. I liked it so much that I have every version of the title song, from Bernstein's to Brook Benton's, to Jimmy Smith's, to Earl Bostic's. That sound, "Harlem Nocturne", "Take Five" and "Swingin' Shepherd Blues" were the only jazz I listened to during what I like to call my "folk and blues phase". After a brief period of easy listening, I went to back to Blues and added a little Flamenco guitar, Edith Piaf and then, back to JAZZ in all it's glory, except for fusion. :D

I wasn't flingin' sod at wolff, just questioning his limiting himself, which is certainly his prerogative.:rolleyes:

Edited by patricia

I probably gravitate towards small group swing mostly, but I do listen to a lot of progressive sixties jazz too.

I usually do most of my listening in the car or at work, so the stuff with larger groups doesn't get played as much. It's hard for me to drive when I'm listening to Duke or the Count. I lose track of driving... :blink:

Wolff,

Not giving ALL jazz a chance, limits your chances of having a whole new jazz experience.

I LOVE Dixieland, but certainly don't only listen to it, to the exclusion of other styles. I'm open to ANY jazz, and make a decision on whether or not I like it on a case-by-case basis.

I'm surprised that you would make such a blanket statement about Dixieland, and it saddens me that you wouldn't like Jack Teagarden, Max Kaminsky and the miriad of Dixieland musicians available to you.

People who love JAZZ are not usually that closed minded.

Geez, it's not like the guy said all Dixieland sucks and that anyone who listens to it should have his brains eaten out by a yak. Just that he doesn't listen to it.

I personally have my gear stuck in the 50's - 60's right now, although that may change in the future. I'm actually reaching a point where I'm getting tired of recordings. I love the energy of live jazz but there's none to be had in my hometown.

My apologies. The blanket statement was there and I responded to it.

I can't get into fusion, no matter how many times I try. I do hope that the standard punishment isn't having one's brain eaten out by a yak.

The first jazz that got to me was the soundtracks from films noir. Then came the totally forgettable film, "Walk On The Wild Side". I would have forgotten it, except for the Elmer Bernstein soundtrack. I liked it so much that I have every version of the title song, from Bernstein's to Brook Benton's, to Jimmy Smith's, to Earl Bostic's. That sound, "Harlem Nocturne", "Take Five" and "Swingin' Shepherd Blues" were the only jazz I listened to during what I like to call my "folk and blues phase". After a brief period of easy listening, I went to back to Blues and added a little Flamenco guitar, Edith Piaf and then, back to JAZZ in all it's glory, except for fusion. :D

I wasn't flingin' sod at wolff, just questioning his limiting himself, which is certainly his prerogative.:rolleyes:

I believe Jazzmoose is quite correct about the llama, although I remember hearing rumors of an alternative punishment along the lines of having your leg hairs pulled with tweezers while being forced to simultaneously watch every tv show episode that has starred David Hasselhoff.

I will admit to disliking smooth jazz. Anyone know the punishment for that one? Whatever it is, I sure hope it involves yaks, because I like how the word "yak" sounds when repetitively spoken. Yak yak yak. Yak Attack!!!

I concur with A.B. on the driving issue. If I listen to Jazz in the car I find myself paying more attention to the meters, harmonies, and polyrhythms than my driving!