Eric Dolphy & John Lewis Play Kurt Weill

DMP

Supposedly this contains all the sessions Dolphy and Lewis made together - I doubt it, but who am I to argue with the mighty Lonehill organization. I'm familiar (and own) everything on this issue EXCEPT "Night Float" - can anyone help me identify this track?

Anticipating a possible follow up question, Atlantic SD1425 is issued as "Essence" by John Lewis with Gary McFarland's Orchestra.

Correct. "Night Float" is a Gary McFarland composition. A version from September 9, 1960 by John Lewis and His Orchestra (including Dolphy) was included on Atlantic SD1425.

that's not a Gary McFarland piece, is it?

If I recall, the original RCA album was listed as by the Sextet of Orchestra USA, under the direction of Zwerin. Or something like that. This Lonehill issue contans the original LP (half of which Dolphy isn't present), the bonus tracks that appeared on the original CD release, and some unrelated stuff that was on Atlantic - a couple cuts from John Lewis' "Wonderful World of Jazz," and - thanks to everyone above!! - a cut from "Essence."

Anticipating a possible follow up question, Atlantic SD1425 is issued as "Essence" by John Lewis with Gary McFarland's Orchestra.

Correct. "Night Float" is a Gary McFarland composition. A version from September 9, 1960 by John Lewis and His Orchestra (including Dolphy) was included on Atlantic SD1425.

that's not a Gary McFarland piece, is it?

Correct. I have that cd (along with Gunther Schuller and Ornette Coleman's 'Jazz Abstractions') buyed almost 15 years ago in a japan lp sleeve edition. Despite the wondertful musicians involved (Jim Hall, Phil Woods, large group etc.) Dolphy is almost unnoticeable in Essence, since does not take any solo. Just some sardonic bass clarinet vibe lost in the full ensemble, listening closely.