New Beatles=Copy protection?

lukrion

This may already be discussed but the new Beatles Cd seems to have ccopy protection on it. I tried copying the Disc on my PC (Easy CD Creator) to play in the car and the program aborted on the last track.

I then tried copying it on my standalone and it finshed copying the disc.

About four tracks play O.K. but the rest of the tracks are plagued with digital "distortion" .

Did EMI slip us the ol' Copy protection? Anyone else have any experience with this disc or any new EMI?

If so, its the Beatles so it was a must have for me. But even though this is the first CD I've burned in months, (and only for my own use), this may pursuade me to purchase less. I wonder if watermarking is the next step?

FYI, I did then make an analog copy. To these ears it sounds as good as the original disc.

Not for Nothin'.....

Happy Thanksgiving,

Gary

P.S. sorry if this was discussed previously here or elsewhere and seems redundant to discuss again. Just wanted to give a heads ups.

I bought it from my friends brick and mortar store (PA. USA). I had it the day it came out but just noticed the copy problem on Monday.

It says :

Manufactured by Capital Records, Inc., 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood CA 90028

I combed over the dismal packaging and couldn't see anything specific about copy protection though.

It could be that you simply got a bad copy.

Have you tried playing it on the computer? Does it play like a normal CD? On the Cactus Datashield discs that EMI now is putting out in Europe the audio tracks can't be played at all. Instead compressed files on the data section of the disc are played through a special player program that is included on the disc and wants to install itself the first time you insert a Cactus Datashield disc. You can't use other programs like Windows Media Player for example.

I haven't heard anything about EMI starting to release copy protected discs in the U.S. yet. If they were to do that, I suppose they would use the same format as in Europe. But who knows, maybe they have other evil plans for the U.S. market?

Surely someone else on the board has gotten the U.S. version and can report back if there are any problems like yours?

I read somewhere (maybe on the Steve Hoffman board) that the Beatles "Let it be" (Naked) album was intended to be the first EMI CD to be sold on copyprotected discs worldwide. However I found no info on the US version being copy-controled. If it were there would certainly be more discussions on the topic.

Edited by Claude

I just put it into my PC and it opened up Windows media player on its own. I am copying it into my (Media Player) library to see what happens. But I don't hear any flaws or glitches as its playing on the DVD-Rom on my PC. The soundfile in the Media library came off without a hitch either. I might waste one or two blanks to see what happens. I'm just curious and I'll chalk it up as OCD.

It did cross my mind that this would be a release they would try to "sneak" copy protection on. I second-guessed myself when I didn't hear about any problems with it besides mine. Then again, I'm hardly in the loop of people who make copies of this stuff to pass around anyway! Slightly paronoid that the EMI police are coming for me... :unsure: he he he!

Not EMI but…

Can’t remember where, but I recently read BMG plans to incorporate copy protection into all its disks worldwide —without any outward warnings or signs of copy protection. I wonder if this also includes other labels’ material manufactured for BMG’s club?

But I’m with B3-er; for my purposes digital>analog>digital will do just fine.

Can?t remember where, but I recently read BMG plans to incorporate copy protection into all its disks worldwide ?without any outward warnings or signs of copy protection.

In Germany all copy-protected CD must be clearly marked on the outside. Online stores like amazon.de give this info on the product page. I think this is even stated in the new copyright law.