Convergence Zone / The NW prevailing winds

SGUD missile

Sincy I notice Wingy (?) is flogging the Chameleon CD as well as DDanny D'Imperios

Big Band Bloviation ( both really excellent albums BTW )

I felt I should help some friends of mine with some floggery as well:

>>

CONVERGENCE ZONE ..( Origin 82417 )

Phil Kelly and the Northwest Prevailing Winds

After a 40 year career as a composer/ arranger in film & TV (including over 700 national TV commercials), Phil Kelly has “returned to his musical roots as a hobby,” and recorded his first big band jazz album. Featuring the very best studio and jazz players in the Pacific Northwest plus several old friends from L.A., New York and Nashville including Pete Christlieb, Andy Martin, Pat Coil, and Gary Smulyan, this album will be of great interest to fans of modern mainstream big band jazz. From Basie and Herman to Tower of Power and the Metropole Orchestra, Convergence Zone displays Kelly’s deep love and knowledge of the music and offers a fresh new platform for the big band idiom.

TRACKS   PERFORMERS

1 DAMP BROWN PLACES 6:39

2 CUZN BUBBA LUVZ EWE 6:11

3 SUBZTATOOT SHUFFLE 7:32

4 SWEET GEORGIA UPSIDE DOWN 5:15

5 BELLA LUCE 7:05

6 YOU AND THE NIGHT AND THE MUSIC 6:31

7 YADA YADA 5:28

8 O.T.B.S 7:21

9 KATHY’S WALTZ 4:29

10 THE REFRIGERATOR 8:26

Conductor: Phil Kelly

Trumpets/Flugelhorns:

BRAD ALLISON

JAY THOMAS

PAUL BARON (lead trumpet 3,5,7)

VERN SEILERT

Saxes /Woodwinds:

BILL RAMSAY

TRAVIS RANNEY

PETE CHRISTLIEB

JIM COILE

GARY SMULYAN

Trombones:

ANDY MARTIN

GARY SHUTES

DAN MARCUS tuba

NELSON BELL bass trombone

Rhythm:

JOHN HANSEN piano

CHUCK DEARDORF bass

GARY HOBBS drums

Rhythm on “Bubba” and “Refrigerator”:

PAT COIL piano

PAUL LEIM drums

CRAIG NELSON electric bass (Bubba)

GERALD STOCKTON electric bass (Refrigerator)

MARK BALDWIN guitar

String Programming:

MATT BENNETT

PRODUCTION  

Recorded and mixed August 25 & 26, 2003 by TOM HALL

at TRIAD STUDIOS, Redmond WA

Except “Bubba” & “Refrigerator”recorded at The Holler in Nashville TN

Engineered by DAVID HALL & mixed by DAVID LANGE at David Lange

Studio, Tacoma WA

Mastered by RICK FISHER at RFI Mastering, Seattle, WA

Cover photography by TODD BISHOP

Band photos by STEVE ROBINSON

Layout & design by JOHN BISHOP/OriginArts

and heres a sample review:

>>Artist: Phil Kelly

Title: Convergence Zone

Publication: All About Jazz

Reviewer: Dan McClenaghan

If you watch any television at all it's a good bet you've heard Phil Kelly's sound. Kelly has worked for forty years as a composer/arranger in film and TV, including over 700 national TV commercials. For Convergence Zone Kelly has assembled some of the finest studio and jazz players in the Northwest for a swinging, sassy set of big band jazz.

The opener, ?Damp Brown Places<sum> - a sendup of ?Camp Town Races<sum> - sets an immediate tone for the recording: clean lines and brightly polished, meticuolously-crafted arrangements; propulsive swing; and a sound that brings Doc Severinson's Tonight Show Band to mind. No surprise there, since Kelly has written for Doc's band, in addition to writing and arranging stints for trombonist Bill Watrous's NYC Big Band.

?Cuzn Bubba Luvz Ewe<sum> and ?The Refrigerator<sum> bring some funk into the mix, while ?Sweet Georgia Upside Down<sum> swings with a sweet Ellingtonian brass/reed mix. The arrangement on ?Bella Luce<sum> is reminscent of Robert Farnon's work on the late trombone master J.J. Johnson's great but underappreciated Tangence CD (Gigantes, 1995), with some subtle but beautifully-done string programming.

Too many great solos to mention - two or three on every song; and listen to the way the limber rhythm guys adjust to the shift from ensemble to solo accompaniment throughout.

A highly polished sound, well-crafted arrangements: a bright, swinging set of big band jazz.

thank y'all for your supp hort!!

:excited::w

This *is in fact* a wonderful recording. Phil's writing and arranging are compelling, and the disc takes the listener through a variety of feels; result being that the recording is a *great* pleasure from start to finish.

I grabbed this session the moment it was available simply based on the respect I've felt for Phil from his postings on various BB's --- and now feel this to be one of my best purchases of 2003.

Picking up a copy of Phil Kelly & The NW Prevailing Winds recording Convergence Zone is a no-brainer. I was lucky enough to hear most tracks before they were mastered and dug 'em, but the finished product is absolutely sublime. There's a wide range of expression on this album, from uptempo smokers to haunting, melancholy ballads, all tastefully written, arranged and performed.

Five stars.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm UPPING myown self!! :blink:

a CONVERGENCE ZONE CD ( origin 82417 ) makes a great stocking stuffer

( and works even better in a CD player ) :g

now available at :

www.bigbandjazz.net

www.originrecords.com

as well as thry Amazon .com, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Tower Records

Edited by SGUD missile

All you Organissimo-ers with decent computer speakers, please check out the RealPlayer

clips from " Convergence Zone "now up on my website and see how they sound to you ..

( I have real rotten little iMac deals and cant tell ..)

www.philkellymusic.com

I'd like some feedback on the samples ..thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thot I'd UP myself ..new gnus !!.. :o

>>CONVERGENCE ZONE CD RELEASE PARTIES 2/15 AND 2/16

Phil Kelly and the NW Prevailing Winds will perform at a pair of CD release parties to announce the recent release of their recent big band CD “CONVERGENCE ZONE ( ORIGIN 82417 ) at Tulas in Seattle on Sunday, 2/15 and on Monday at Jazz bones in Tacoma 2/16.. Both events will begin at 8:00 PM

The NW Prevailing Winds are composed of the creme of the Northwestern crop of jazz musicians plus several special guests including PETE CHRISTLEIB and ANDY MARTIN ( on tenor sax and trombone respectively ) from Los Angeles.,as well featuring such well known NW jazz stalwarts as JAY THOMAS, BILL RAMSAY, JOHN HANSEN ,GARY HOBBS, CHUCK DEARDORF ,DAN MARCUS and many others.as well. The result is one of the very best large jazz ensembles in the Northwest ,playing powerful and exciting “straight ahead “ jazz in the mold of the Bill Holman, Count Basie, and Woody Herman bands, largely written by PHIL KELLY, a resident of Bellingham WA and veteran composer /arranger for film and TV as well as the Bill Watrous and Doc Severinsen “Tonight Show bands, as well as many vocalists.

These promise to be unique and exciting musical events for big band fans. Unique in that the Prevailing Winds are so in demand for their own individual projects that assembling them as a unit is a major undertaking that only occurs occasionally, and exciting because an ensemble of this caliber is seldom heard as a unit in the Puget Sound area

If youre in the NW ..put it on your calendar!

thankz for your supp hort

:g

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey Dr. F!

Thanks for the CZ exposure! I've been enjoying your webcast on and off for the past several months and I've marked 9/9 on my calendar!

BTW: the **second CD** is coming soon !! ..I've got it pretty well finished writingwise and the finances together ..I hope to get it recorded early this winter.

Phil K

Northwest Prevailing Winds ( Origin )

www.philkellymusic.com :w

Any Seattle shows in the near future, Phil? :w

I know it's probably hard to get herd all those cats into one room, but here's hopin'!

Hey Dr. F!

Thanks for the CZ exposure!  I've been enjoying your webcast on and off for the past several months and I've marked 9/9 on my calendar!

BTW:  the **second CD** is coming soon !! ..I've got it pretty well finished writingwise and the finances together ..I hope to get it recorded early this winter.

Phil K

Northwest Prevailing Winds ( Origin )

www.philkellymusic.com :w