Anthony Braxton

Late

• 4 weeks later...

557.jpg

hatOLOGY 557

Anthony Braxton

Quartet (Dortmund) 1976

"It was at the first Dortmund Jazz Festival in Germany on October 31, 1976 that this group hit a magic peak." ... The Braxton / Lewis / Holland / Altschul line-up lasted for barely six months. They played their first concert together in Boston in May 1976 and their last in Berlin on November 4. ... For me, the special attraction of the Dortmund concert is its air of celebration. There's a palpable sense of fun to this music, attributable in part (I suspect) to the presence of George Lewis, who had just replaced trumpeter Kenny Wheeler in the quartet. The empathy between the two Chicagoans fairly fizzes from the speakers: Lewis romps through these tunes with a snorting, rumbustious glee that elicits a brilliantly bravura and playful response from Braxton. — Graham Lock

Any thoughts? It's on sale at DMG.

I picked it up this afternoon. The first track is amazing, I had to stop it during the second track because a Norton Anti-Virus scan is making it skip. This disc is from a classic Braxton era that I love, just thought I'd spin it past you folks!

I listened to the first disc of the Circle Paris 1972 concert on the way home this evening, it's been ages since I've heard that one. Pretty damm cool in my book.

• 5 months later...