H. Silver - 'Song For My Father' SQ Issue

street singer

Just picked up the RVG version of Horace Silver's 'Song For My Father'. Have never owned this before, so ofcourse, the music was quite revelatory. I completely understand why this one is so raved about.

However... I have an issue with the sound quality on this one and am wondering if it's in the master or if I just got a bad disc. Can someone help me determine which it is?

On the first track, "Song For My Father", there is very audible static throughout the entirety of the song. Especially in the quite parts. Almost sounds like surface noise on an LP. I haven't noticed this one any other songs.

On the third song, "Calcutta Cutie", when Blue Mitchell hits a high note it results in a sharp, crackling sound.

This can't be on the master, can it?

This had been discussed on the Blue Note board when the RVG came out. Many posters thought that the title track had been dubbed from LP, but Blue Note claimed the CD was remastered from original masters and those defects are on the tapes.

Edited by Claude

This had been discussed on the Blue Note board when the RVG came out. Many posters thought that the title track had been dubbed from LP, but Blue Note claimed the CD was remastered from original masters and those defects are on the tapes.

How strange.

What would cause such a defect to appear on the master tape? Any idea?

I actually listened to the entire CD again, it seems like it's through the entire CD as well. What I meant to say is: I know atleast the title track and POSSIBLY other tracks. Sorry about that - this strangely unclear sound seems to be an exception, so I wouldn't worry too much. None of the other 11 Silvers or other BNs I have are really like this, to my memory atleast.

In the case of the title track for 'SFMF', it's possible that the tapes were used too much since the song was/is so popular, but I don't really know for sure. Maybe you could try asking a mastering pro who deals with old tapes.

Yes, I recall discussing this RVG on the old BN and can go back to my first ever CD purchase - a pair of Best of Blue Note from Japan... a year before any re-issues appeared on disk.

The "SFMF" on this set is nearly perfect with no distortions at all and an itty bitty bit of vinyl sound during the brief silent passages, so... it's too bad with all the capabilities of remasterings today that BN couldn't have given these things a bit more attention instead of marketing the crap out of Rudy's ears.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Yes, I recall discussing this RVG on the old BN and can go back to my first ever CD purchase - a pair of Best of Blue Note from Japan... a year before any re-issues appeared on disk.

The "SFMF" on this set is nearly perfect with no distortions at all and an itty bitty bit of vinyl sound during the brief silent passages, so... it's too bad with all the capabilities of remasterings today that BN couldn't have given these things a bit more attention instead of marketing the crap out of Rudy's ears.

So there is a consensus that the title track of the 'SFMF' RVG is indeed ffrom a vinyl pressing?