W. Eugene Smith Jazz Loft Project

MartyJazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
Guest youmustbe

Joe Goldberg told me that he couldn't get enough of Trane with Monk at Five Spot...but he went once and it was Sonny Rollins in place of Trane and after hearing Sonny with Monk, he was there for 2 weeks, he said Trane with Monk wasn't the same anymore to him.

Now that would have been a great bootleg, no matter how bad the sound!

I used to hang with Joe Goldberg, back in the Prestige days. I stopped doing so when he made Bob Weinstock lower the liner note fee from $75 to $50 by undercutting the rest of us. Still, I thought Joe had better sense than to be friendly with homophobic creeps who are full of themselves—hey, eve the one's who aren't.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a series on BBC 2 at the moment called "The Genius of Photography" and last nights episode featured W. Eugene Smith among others. It mentioned this project he was supposed to do about Pittsburgh for the Magnum agency that turned into this 3 year odyssey documenting everyday life in the city. He sounds like a really interesting guy as well as a hell of a photographer.

Smith's major thing was a report with amazing photos on mercury poisoning in Japan by local industry, which got him badly beaten and gave him permanent and debilitating injuries - he also had some famous photos, as I recall, in a popular older photo collection called Family of Man -

There is a series on BBC 2 at the moment called "The Genius of Photography" and last nights episode featured W. Eugene Smith among others. It mentioned this project he was supposed to do about Pittsburgh for the Magnum agency that turned into this 3 year odyssey documenting everyday life in the city. He sounds like a really interesting guy as well as a hell of a photographer.

Actually, a quick search on Amazon revealed this, I shall seek it out;

Dream Street: W. Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh Project

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bumping this because they've redesigned their website.

http://www.jazzloftproject.org

In the upper left corner you can click on the "sounds" page and listen to some recordings made in the loft. Also, the radio series on WNYC is starting on Monday. I hope they make it available as a podcast as it broadcasts at different times during the day and it may be hard to catch it all. Radio series info.

You can also sign up for their email newsletter http://www.jazzloftproject.org/index.php?s=newsletter

or be a facebook fan here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Jazz-Lof...ect/49444658282

Edited by funkogre

Guys -- before you start a new topic, would you please take a little look-see to make sure that you're not starting a duplicate thread. It's tedious to merge threads, and half the time when I do it I make a mistake and end up with the name of the newer thread taking the place of the prior one, which pisses me off.