Film on Pannonica

From the Stamford Advocate:

The smartest and most intriguing movie I've seen lately won't be playing at a theater near you.

It's "The Jazz Baroness," Hannah Rothschild's documentary about the adventurous life her great aunt led when she turned her back on England -- and much of her legendary family -- after falling in love with New York City and the jazz scene she found there in the 1950s.

The story of Pannonica Rothschild has more drama and more to talk about in it than a half dozen contemporary Hollywood films put together. The movie hasn't been rated by the Motion Picture Association of America, but it's a true story of love, friendship and art that should delight viewers of all ages and backgrounds.

I'd also like to think that the film will introduce young, non-jazz fans to the glorious music of the man Pannonica loved and supported for years, Thelonius Monk (along with such Monk friends and associates as Charlie Parker).

The picture is debuting Wednesday at 8 p.m. on HBO2 and will be screened several times through mid-December.

Continued here:

Stamford Advocate

Excellent news! Thanks for the heads up. The film was shown as part of a film festival a few weeks ago in the Boston area but, unfortunately, was sold out. I figured it would turn eventually, but not this soon.

The smartest and most intriguing movie I've seen lately won't be playing at a theater near you.

It's "The Jazz Baroness," Hannah Rothschild's documentary about the adventurous life her great aunt led when she turned her back on England -- and much of her legendary family -- after falling in love with New York City and the jazz scene she found there in the 1950s.

The story of Pannonica Rothschild has more drama and more to talk about in it than a half dozen contemporary Hollywood films put together. The movie hasn't been rated by the Motion Picture Association of America, but it's a true story of love, friendship and art that should delight viewers of all ages and backgrounds.

I'd also like to think that the film will introduce young, non-jazz fans to the glorious music of the man Pannonica loved and supported for years, Thelonius Monk (along with such Monk friends and associates as Charlie Parker).

The picture is debuting Wednesday at 8 p.m. on HBO2 and will be screened several times through mid-December.

Continued here:

Stamford Advocate

Continued here:

Stamford Advocate

She used to come into the Jazz Cultural Theater (that Barry Harris ran and co-owned) in the mid-80s. The famous Rolls Royce would sit parked outside. Everyone was under orders to drop everything and cater to her every whim when she showed up----in other words, she was royalty there. Barry lived in her house in Weehawken, N.J. with Monk, and still lives there.

I sat next to her once in the club. She seemed nice enough.

I did watch this, and was kinda put off by the tone of some things here and there, but I ended up being glad that I watched it. Some techniques here and there seemd a bit "manipulative", but I guess that's what filmmakers do.

The open casket footage of Monk was genuinely jarring, though. I unexpectedly & suddenly, reflexively, even, found myself crying. I think LTB did too...

I did watch this, and was kinda put off by the tone of some things here and there, but I ended up being glad that I watched it. Some techniques here and there seemd a bit "manipulative", but I guess that's what filmmakers do.

The open casket footage of Monk was genuinely jarring, though. I unexpectedly & suddenly, reflexively, even, found myself crying. I think LTB did too...

pretty much my reaction as well, JSngry, especially about some of the very naive, "manipulative" scenes and the repetition of images. the best part for me was seeing the guys as i remembered them in the '60s: Ben Riley, Larry Gales, Charlie Rouse, Paul Chambers, Bobby Timmons, etc. and hadn't seen Harry Colomby probably since the '80s. was glad to see the docu, however, with all its warts and moles!

OK from the vintage footage point of view but a very slight and somewhat speculative story stretched and padded to twice its real content often with images ill-chosen for the relevant point in the commentary. Crouch self-important as usual. Ultimately the film seemed to be more about Monk than Nica and we were left in the dark about much of her life after her case was thrown out. Nor did it seem clear as to whether she was jailed, out on bail until the case was heard, or held on remand until charged. At the end the main impression left was the time honored one of the eccentric upper class English at it again and this was not helped by Helen Mirren's totally over-the-top reading performance - wow she sounded like the Duchess in a bad thirties British movie full of RADA types. Much was made of 'The Bentley' Couldn't they find a photo?

I don't know, but this might be a Rolls:

mok_2.jpg

But this is a old Bentley:

3620902767_cdfcf48dc9.jpg

Here it is:

Be-Bop Bentley

One of the more famous Continentals was ordered by the ex-Baroness Pannonica Rothschild de Koenigswarter, great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated banker Nathan Mayer Rothschild. The baroness owned a number of Rolls Royce and Bentley cars, but the car she loved most was a 1957 Bentley S1 Continental Drophead Coupe, which came to be known as the Be-Bop Bentley. That's because the baroness became a huge patron of jazz in New York in the late 1950s and '60s, and her car was often seen parked outside of jazz clubs such as Birdland, Smalls and the Village Vanguard and was often used to ferry musicians throughout the city. A picture of the car was published in the Time magazine cover story on Thelonious Monk and Be-Bop jazz in February 1964, and Monk, as well as Charlie Parker devoted several compositions to de Koenigswarter. --Michael Frank

vow2_377x133.jpg