The bowed (arco) upright bass

mrjazzman

just dropping by to say I enjoy Chambers' arco playing...

and to throw in another name:

Joelle Leandre (or Joëlle Léandre)

http://www.joelle-leandre.com/

http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/mleandre.html

As long as she doesn't vocalize...

Well, playing with Newton, she obviously did... I thought their fake arias were hilarious! (I'd never listen to it on CD at home though, but live it worked for me.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they never took the bass to the same places

different music 50 -75 years ago

Allen - have you seen these guys play live?

I'm speaking of any of the guys/ladies I mentioned?

They play the bass in a manner unknown to nay of the players mentioned - even Richard Davis or even the *great* Dave Holland.

or listen to Parker-Guy-Lytton - At The Vortex and get an idea.

the technique and diversity is way beyond traditional playing of the upright bass.

my point may be that of all the 'jazz instruments' the upright bass is the one where the most radical and technically advanced innovations have happened over the past 40 years.

That's an interesting/provocative statement, when one considers where some of the free players have taken the saxophone, with circular breathing and micro-tonal techniques. But certainly the playing of a guy like Henry Grimes would lend support to your view. ... The bass wouldn't have been the first instrument I'd land on when thinking about this, but you may very well be right.

in my mind since Roscoe and then Evan took circular breathing to new places many years ago - the microtonal or smaller sounds created by guys like Jon Butcher or Urs Leimgruber or Bhob Rainey may be the most innovative things done with the saxophone.

but I would add Mats Gustaffson as one who incorporates massive techniques in some or all of these areas.

But I do believe the bass has undergone the most profound of changed sound and place in the music in the hands of the masters of this sort of improvisation playing

aand dd Simon H Fell to my list

I never cared much for PC's bowed solos. They often seemed to me to get in the way of the flow of the music. They struck me, most of the time, as similar to a speed bump in the road.

In general, bowed bass solos are not something I usually like, though every so often I come across an exception.

Recently I have heard John Clayton play some bowed bass solos that I found appealing.

I never cared much for PC's bowed solos. They often seemed to me to get in the way of the flow of the music. They struck me, most of the time, as similar to a speed bump in the road.

That's my feeling as well . Say what you like about his tone , but his injudicious soloing during uptempo numbers kills any forward momentum and swing the moment his bow hits the strings . For this reason , I generally find arco solos much more effective at ballad tempo .

I'm totally SHOCKED at anyone who doesn't think PC was the shit when it came to bowing solos. As far as I'm concerned he was the only cat I could listen to bowing solos. The most swingin bowed cat ever for me.

As far as nowadays, Phil Flanigan is as good as it gets! This guy plays gut strings HIGH action and has nobody has better ideas on the bass as far as soloing is concerned. He gets a great sound bowing too. This guy is scary PERIOD!!!