Hip me to some (more) early jazz

papsrus

Richard Sudhalter wrote a book called "Lost Chords: White Musicians and Their Contribution to Jazz, 1915-1945." It was controversial, as you might expect. I never read the book but I bought the companion double-CD, which you can get separately, and it's packed with excellent early jazz--all by white musicians, but what the hell, if it's good, it's good. I recommend the CDs heartily.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man! Thanks for all the great recs. You guys are unbelievable.

I have managed to stumble across a small number of the musicians and titles mentioned: Noone and Dodds (although not his very early recordings) and the Freeman Mosaic single in the revivalist camp. Bill, I had that second Ory title you mentioned in my cart at amazon just yesterday and passed on it for now. I'll revisit that. Thanks.

Spanier and Kid Ory are two of the more obvious/likely places to begin, I suppose. Dodds as well. And McKinney's Cotton Pickers! Harlem Hamfats (can't pass on a name like that). And Bix -- I do have the JSP there. Will wade a little deeper.

'Devin' Tune' does provide a great broad brush on a lot of this. I need to dig back into that first set.

Listening to samples of the "Breaking Out" box now. Great stuff.

Thanks so much for all the insights. I'm looking forward to foraging around for some of these. :tup

Will keep a close eye on the thread for more ideas that might pop up.

Don't be scared off of Bunk Johnson by some of the comments above. He was remarkably inconsistent, but his best work is quite moving. King of the Blues on American Music might be a good place to start. Even on that CD, there's some spotty work, but "Careless Love" and "Midnight Blues" are stunning.

Whoa ... my comments re Johnson & Lewis was directed only at their seeming dominance of the Jazzology catalogue.

Which is why I much appreciate hearing other artists, such as Herb Morand.

The Johnson/Lewis American Music outings are some of the most atmospheric recordings I have - warts and all!

In fact, IMO the loping King Of The Blues is one of the most New Orleans records of all.

Here's what I've come up with ... (Post 4866). In my original post in this thread I mentioned erroneously "The Original Memphis Five -- Columbias 1923 - 1931" as one of the recordings I already have on had. It should have been another Timeless Historical release. And so, the 'Columbias' disc is now on order with the others.

Thanks again for all the great input. I'll certainly be returning to the thread to cull fresh titles from time to time and throw up the odd comment about what I've listened to.

:)

Be sure to check out the Jazz Oracle label. Their transfers always sound the best to me, and their booklets are so thick that you can hardly get them in the case, and it's not just empty filler, they're chock full of history. My favorite reissue label for early jazz and hot dance, and they have rescued many sides from oblivion. I can recommend each issue for their unique values.

Be sure to check out the Jazz Oracle label. Their transfers always sound the best to me, and their booklets are so thick that you can hardly get them in the case, and it's not just empty filler, they're chock full of history. My favorite reissue label for early jazz and hot dance, and they have rescued many sides from oblivion. I can recommend each issue for their unique values.

I definitely will, Lon. Great suggestion. The 'Richmond Rarities' that I snagged is one of theirs.

Also ordered Oscar Celestin, Sam Morgan -- "Recorded in New Orleans 1925 - 1928" issued by the label.

Thank you.

Edited by papsrus

re: Bunk Johnson, I love the Deccas - which are available through GHB, I believe.

Called The Complete Decca Sessions on American Music.

I have the same stuff on a Document CD called The Complete Deccas, Victors and V Discs Plus Alternate Takes November 1945 to January 1946.

Have just done a comparison. Don't know the sound of the recent AM reissue, but it appears to have just 4 tracks + many alternates of same, so the Document would appear to be the better buy.

Very Good!

As my neigbours were blessed to find out this morning when it was the blastin' soundtrack to my begrudged clearing of rampant spring growth on our front-yard trees.

Out of tune pianos that I don't care about - just like on some of those live Blue Note dates - and minus that boxy Bill Russell sound.

Edited by kenny weir

Also ordered Oscar Celestin, Sam Morgan -- "Recorded in New Orleans 1925 - 1928" issued by the label.

Check out Sidney Brown's bass on the Sam Morgan sides. For my money this guy knew where it was going.

You nailed it. Brown comes through loud and clear, too. The sound on these Jazz Oracles is really outstanding.