Snowstorm

Well, it's going to be a good day to kick back and catch up on some reading and listening to tunes. Here in DC, we got socked with over a foot of snow so far, with another foot to come. The past few winders have been mild to say the least, but we are making up for it in a hurry. We NEVER get this kind of snow in December -- it usually happens in late January or February.

Listening to Peter Green's Anthology on Salvo, a great 4 cd compilation of this guitar great.

Digging into "The Last Empress" by Hannah Paulka, a new bio of Madame Chang Kai-Shek.

Edited by Stefan Wood

This makes me smile - I lived in NoVA for over 20 years, and am well aware that 1 inch of snow causes complete paralysis! I also remember that storm 25 years ago, as I had to drive on Route 50 (VA), which hadn't been plowed, was full of icy ruts over a foot deep and littered with abandoned cars. (Crazy, I know, but I was taking an evening class at GW and my prof, who lived in Alexandria, insisted on going through with it even though *he* had to drive home, too...)

I wonder if they'll ever be properly prepared for snow in D.C. ;)

This makes me smile - I lived in NoVA for over 20 years, and am well aware that 1 inch of snow causes complete paralysis!

I'm on the S. Arlington/Alexandria line and there's a bridge into Alexandria just down the hill. Can't tell from the pic, but there are 3 or 4 cars right now with engines being gunned, wheels spinning....sliding all over the place. Total mayhem over there. Seeline, you'd be rolling your eyes if you were here to see it! :g

100_2933.jpg

Getting hit pretty bad here in Philly too. Up to 18" to 24" total expected. Didn't you guys get hit in February of '96?? We got 3 feet in that one. I remember growing up in DC there was a snow in Feb. of '79 - I think it snowed 2 feet. We kids were bummed because it snowed on a Friday night into Saturday. So we figured we would have school on Monday. Not a chance. They gave us the whole week off. :party:

This makes me smile - I lived in NoVA for over 20 years, and am well aware that 1 inch of snow causes complete paralysis!

I'm on the S. Arlington/Alexandria line and there's a bridge into Alexandria just down the hill. Can't tell from the pic, but there are 3 or 4 cars right now with engines being gunned, wheels spinning....sliding all over the place. Total mayhem over there. Seeline, you'd be rolling your eyes if you were here to see it! :g

You're right, I would! :)

When I 1st came to the area, I knew how to drive in snow and just couldn't believe how people reacted to small amounts of it. By the time I left the area, I was scared to drive in 2", if only because of how badly the roads are "maintained." I can also recall seeing the "snow removal crew" at National Airport (Feb. 1984) live on TV - a couple of guys with shovels out on one of the main runways. (The plow apparently wouldn't start up; it was sitting in a shed off to one side.)

I shoveled off the sidewalk in front of our house at 5pm. At that time I'd say there was at least a foot of snow on the ground. I was watching the news at 8pm and the mayor said that the official snow fall was 16 inches for Philly. Well at 10pm I shoveled the sidewalk again. I'd say another 7 or 8 inches had fallen since the 5pm shoveling. And it's still snowing.

I'm thinking at least 20 inches before it's over.

Oh and Winter officially begins at 12:47pm tomorrow.

I shoveled off the sidewalk in front of our house at 5pm. At that time I'd say there was at least a foot of snow on the ground. I was watching the news at 8pm and the mayor said that the official snow fall was 16 inches for Philly. Well at 10pm I shoveled the sidewalk again. I'd say another 7 or 8 inches had fallen since the 5pm shoveling. And it's still snowing.

I'm thinking at least 20 inches before it's over.

Oh and Winter officially begins at 12:47pm tomorrow.

23.2 inches in Philly.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/Its_official_Snowfall_set_a_record.html

Above ground Metro was not available Sunday due to snow/ice on rails, but all stations are open on Monday. Federal employees in the DC area told to stay home on Monday.

One reason we purchased a home in NoVA rather than DC was a guy named Marion Barry and fears we had about how winter weather would be handled.

Above ground Metro was not available Sunday due to snow/ice on rails, but all stations are open on Monday. Federal employees in the DC area told to stay home on Monday.

One reason we purchased a home in NoVA rather than DC was a guy named Marion Barry and fears we had about how winter weather would be handled.

I take it this Barry guy had some problems with "snow"?

I take it this Barry guy had some problems with "snow"?

:lol:

Snow, cocaine, whatever you want to call it.