"Rooster" brand neckties - some good examples

Just thought I'd pass along a couple pics of some good "Rooster" band ties from the late 50's and early 60's. All of them have (had) square bottoms, and were pretty thin (usually about 2 inches in diameter). Unlike "pointy"-end ties, the sides of the tie were parallel for most of the tie, until you got to where you started to tie it around your neck.

I've seen pictures from the 50's, of both Gil Evans and Gunther Schuller wearing what are probably Rooster ties (or at least what they're wearing are narrow square-bottom ties that sure look like Roosters to me). If I can find the pics of Evans and Schuller on-line, I'll be sure to post 'em.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Is Rooster a brand name of ties, or is it the name for the square end style?

It was a brand name. There were some other brands that also made square-bottom times, "Ernst" being probably the second best in quality. "Tina" was another brand, and there were some others too. But "Rooster" had the best designs, by far. Muted colors, often dark or medium in hue. Multi-color Batik fabric with some really interesting designs.

I don't have any kind of set-up to photograph my collection, but as I encounter on-line images, I'll post some more of them here.

Vintage clothing stores and eBay are probably my best sources. I'll go months and months without seeing any, and then out of the blue - I'll stumble on 5 or 10 eBay auctions, usually all from the same seller. Or I'll be out of town, and walk into a vintage store with a dozen or more high-quality Roosters.

But more often than not, my searches come up dry. If you go to quite a few vintage stores, you tend to find which ones have the highest chance of having any. There's two Vintage stores here in Kansas City that occasionally get them in. And there's one good store in St. Louis.

WARNING: Rooster made ties on up into the 70's, and they got wider too!!! Some were 3 inches wide, and even as wide as 4 inches!! :o

The colors got more noisy and bold, and these "wider" Roosters are of much less interest to me. (I have one or two, but I never wear them.)

The trouble is that you often can't tell the width of Rooster ties just by looking at the pictures. These are 3-inches wide. Notice how the colors are louder? - and the designs are usually less subtle too.

ea_1.JPG

Couple more REALLY ugly "wide" Roosters from the 70's.

IMG_4728.JPG

Also, I think they must have given up on the "flat bottom tie" thing sometime in the 80's, or sold their name, or something. When I do eBay searches for "Rooster" ties, I do get hits on totally conventional "pointy"-end ties too. Wierd.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Are you into other types of "vintage" clothing at all? I'd like to be a sharp dresser, but I barely know how!

No, not really into any other vintage clothing.

I mean, I certainly appreciate lots of what I see, but I can't really pull it off myself. At 5'11" and about 225 lbs, I'm an "XL" kinda guy. And finding "XL" vintage clothing is pretty darn hard to do, or at least finding something you actually want, and in good condition - is difficult. Can't tell you how many cool vintage shirts I've noticed over the years, only to look at the label and find they're medium or small size.

I do have one vintage wristwatch that I'm quite proud of. It belonged to my Dad, and dates back to the 40's. He wore it for nearly 40 years, but all it needed was a good cleaning, and otherwise runs like a dream.

I used to have one vintage suit that I bought back in college (not because it was vintage, particularly, but simply because I needed a good suit, and found one I liked that actually fit. Of course that was 15 years and 50 lbs ago).

I am always on the lookout for short vintage tie-clips, meaning those that are about 1.5 to 1.75 inches in length. Nearly all the tie-clips you find (new, or vintage) are aways for much wider ties. All my Roosters are about 2 inches wide, so I'm always in the market for nice but short tie-clips.

I've got some of the square bottomed ties too, in stripes and color weaves, and I like these a lot. I've a Rooster or two, but most of mine are not Roosters.

I have one old tie I really like that is a "Button Through Smoothie." You can secure it to your shirt on a button. . . very very hip! It's really skinny, and a red and black paisley type design. . . don't get to wear it much these days! (I'm 5'11+" and coming down from about 215 myself, so skinny flashy ties don't work on me these days!)

RT - I can definitely sympathize, being 5'5" in height. I'm pretty short, so the whole vintage clothing thing kind of presents a few problems for me as well. It doesn't help that I'm not too fond of clothes shopping either! But, for some reason, I really like the idea of wearing a suit most days or at least dressing up a little every day.

That watch sounds like a dandy! I have nothing vintage or keepsake-y to speak of, but I guess it's just as well...

post-8-1070299951.jpg

Yippie!!!!

I just won the eBay action with these very ties!!! (Yeah, the image I gave all of you in the very first post of this thread was an eBay auction that hadn't closed yet. :unsure: )

Got all 10 of them for less than $3 per tie (even factoring in the shipping costs). Often Rooster ties of THIS quality (and there are plenty that AREN'T of this quality), go for more like $5 to $8 per tie, sometimes even closer to $10 (two or three years ago, when the economy was better).

I haven't gotten many ties on eBay for quite a while (close to a year), but this particular lot was so great, I couldn't help but give it a shot. :party: