Art museums

The Albright Knox is one of the great musems anywhere. Their collection of Abstract Expressionists is simply oustanding. Well represented in Impressionism, Post Impressionism, as well as many of the artists whose work led to the Impressionist movement. They've got quite a bit of pop art as well, but to be honest that stuff does not float my boat. They've hosted a number of major exhibits over the past few years that have really stimulated the community

I want to echo Ed's mention. We go there at every opportunity. Our son lives in the area.

If you have the chance, go.

i remember going to the museum in Buffalo when I was v. young to see WEyeth and Calder. Skating close by as I recall. I've also enjoyed the D'Orsay and Orangier (sp?, floor to ceiling Monet water lillies) in Paris. Remington and Russell (yee-haw!) here in Portland. Group of Seven (8, 9, whatever, eh?) in Vancouver, BC. A great exhibit of impressionism owned by various midwest museums in Mpls (not the Walker, the other one). And, of course, Joni at the Mendal in Saskatoon and various First Nations Artists in North Battleford. So I guess my point is, by all means see The Great Museums of The World when and if you get the chance, but great artistic experiences can be had (almost?) anywhere, including your nearest music listening device...

One of the biggest secrets in Paris - Musee Marmottan.

First rate Monet collection.

Don't miss it.

The Musee Marmottan is indeed an extraordinary little museum.

Another little-known one worth a visit when in Paris is the Musee Gustave Moreau

http://www.paris.org/Musees/Moreau/info.html

They don't have a working website yet but the museum is filled with paintings by this pre-surrealist master.