Discovery/Trend Records

Head Man

I've done a quick search in an old Lord discog and it looks like they were all reissued on CD. Here's what it says.

Gerald Wilson

[W7241-4]

"Lomelin": Gerald Wilson Orchestra of the 80's:

Bobby Bryant, Rick Baptist, Snooky Young, Oscar Brashear (tp,flhrn) Jimmy Cleveland, Garnett Brown, Thurman Green (tb) Maurice Spears (b-tb) Jerome Richardson (fl,pic,as,sop,ts) Buddy Collette, Henry de Vega, Roger Hogan (as,fl,pic) Ernie Watts, Harold Land (ts,fl) Jack Nimitz (bar) Mike Wofford (p) Harold Land, Jr. (el-p) Robert Conti, Shuggie Otis (g) Johnny Williams (b) Paul Humphrey (d,perc) Gerald Wilson (arr,cond)

Los Angeles, March 13 & 14, 1981

Lomelin Discovery DS833, DSCD947 [CD]

Ay-ee-en [Anthony Eric Nichols] - -

See you later - -

You know - -

Triple chase - -

Blues for Zubin - -

Note: Discovery DSCD947 [CD] titled "Gerald Wilson - Orchestra of the '80's - Love You Madly"; see flwg session for more titles; this CD lists Anthony Ortega instead of Buddy Collette.

Gerald Wilson

[W7242-4]

Jessica: Gerald Wilson Orchestra of the 80's:

Gerald Wilson, Bobby Bryant, Rick Baptist, Snooky Young, Hal Espinosa, Oscar Brashear (tp) Jimmy Cleveland, Garnett Brown, Thurman Green (tb) Maurice Spears (b-tb) Anthony Ortega, Jerome Richardson, Henry de Vega (as) Ernie Watts, Harold Land, Roger Hogan (ts) Jack Nimitz (bar) Gerald Wiggins (p) Harold Land, Jr. (el-p) Milcho Leviev (keyboards) Johnny Williams (b,el-b) Clayton Cameron (d)

Los Angeles, November 29 & December 6, 1982

Jessica Trend TR-531, TRCD-537 [CD]

Love you madly - , Discovery DSCD947 [CD]

Blues, bones and Bobby - , TRCD-537 [CD]

Getaway - , Discovery DSCD947 [CD]

Sophisticated lady - -

Don't get around much anymore - -

Note: Trend TRCD-537 [CD] titled "Calafia"; see November 29 & 30, 1984 for rest of CD.

Gerald Wilson

[W7243-4]

Calafia: Gerald Wilson's Orchestra of the 80's:

Al Aarons, Rick Baptist, Oscar Brashear, Snooky Young (tp) Garnett Brown, Buster Cooper, Thurman Green, Maurice Spears (tb) Red Callender (tu) Anthony Ortega, Ernie Watts, Roger Hogan, Harold Land, John Stephens, Henry de Vega (reeds) Milcho Leviev (p) Stanley Gilbert (b) Paul Humphrey (d) Gerald Wilson (arr,cond)

Glendale, CA, November 29 & 30, 1984

Calafia Trend TR-537, TRCD-537 [CD]

Eloy - -

The Redd Foxx - -

Polygon - -

3/4 for Mayor Tom - -

Prince Albert - -

Viva Tirado '85 - -

Gerald Wilson

[W7245-4]

Jenna: Gerald Wilson's Orchestra of the 90's:

Snooky Young (tp,vcl) Raymond Brown, Bob Clark, Rick Baptist, Ron Barrows, Oscar Brashear (tp) Thurman Green, Luis Bonilla, Charlie Loper (tb) Maurice Spears (b-tb) Danny House, John Stephens (as) Louis Taylor, Carl Randall (ts) Randall Willis (bar,as) Michael Cain (p) Anthony Wilson (g) Stanley Gilbert (b) Mel Lee (d) Gerald Wilson (arr,vcl,dir)

Hollywood, CA, June 27 & 28, 1989

Love for sale Discovery DSCD964 [CD]

Jenna -

Carlos -

Back to the roots -

The wailer -

Blues for Yna Yna -

B-bop and the song -

Couldn't love, couldn't cry -

Yard dog Mazurka -

48 years later -

Lunceford special -

Margie (sy,gw vcl) -

Flying home -

Sorry about the format.

MG

Thanks MG, I think you've sorted it!

I have an LP of his on Discovery called 'Jessica' which I've been looking to replace by CD for many years. However the only three CDs I've ever seen of his are 'Love You Madly', 'Calafia' & 'Jenna'. Looking closely at the tracks in your discography and comparing them with those on my LP, I see that half of 'Jessica' is on the CD 'Love You Madly' and the other half is on 'Calafia'.

Problem solved - many thanks!

MG, by coincidence, I've listened to my cassette of Jessica twice in the past month, for the first time in nearly four years.

I like it a lot, but I think that Wilson's PJ material is his best.

I gather that he is now more popular than ever before. You should have no trouble find one of his recent Mack Avenue albums.

MG, by coincidence, I've listened to my cassette of Jessica twice in the past month, for the first time in nearly four years.

I gather that he is now more popular than ever before. You should have no trouble find one of his recent Mack Avenue albums.

Thanks GA.

MG

• 3 years later...

Thanks GA.

MG

I disagree based on what I've heard so far -- that is, I think "Lomelin" is at least equal to the cream of the Pacific LPs ("Moment of Truth," "You Better Believe It.") Still trying to amass the other Discovery dates, but "Lomelin" knocked me out -- the writing is an advance over the '60s and the band still sounds like a working band. Much more organic and unified than the NY studio ensembles assembled for the Mack Ave. dates (which musician-by-musician might look better on paper but don't come out in the wash that way.) Having said that, the best of the Mack Ave. records I think is "In My Time," which is the one that top to bottom holds up with the best of the earlier work.

Anyone else heard the other Discovery dates and have a suggestion which I should track down first?

Edited by Mark Stryker

I'd rate the "need to hear" urgency in chronological order, and add that if you have Lomelin, you've got the best of the lot (and that it is indeed excellent in the ways you state...and that I hear you about the NY bands vs the LA bands. In Wilson's case, yes, I definitely prefer the LA cats, I think they feel the intimacies and nuances of Wilson's writing more than the NY guys do, no doubt due to the ongoing "shared scene" contact).