KD ON Tenor

Joe

I was reacquainting myself with Bird Royal Roost recordings originally compiled / released on Savoy this weekend, and was reminded by Loren Schoenberg's annotations that:

[Kenny] Dorham played tenor saxophone early in his career, which seems to have exerted a strong influence in the shaping of his almost un-trumpet-like style. Few could match him at a tempo like this.

(In reference to his playing on "Be-Bop", 01/01/1949; p. 34, liners, Bird's THE COMPLETE LIVE PERFORMANCES ON SAVOY)

Then, today, upon receiving my copy of the recent Uptown release of KD's FLAMBOYAN recordings, I flipped through the booklet only to find a wonderful Popsie Randolph photo of KD holding both axes.

So, my question... does anyone know of any official or unofficial recordings of Dorham on tenor? Any recollections of seeing him perform on that horn? Other observations re: the possibly influence his saxophony might have had on his trumpetism?

post-330-126513534582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe

Wow, now that's a revelation. Never knew that.

And while I can't rightly explain why (other than what I perceive to be his unorthodox, yet still fairly "inside"-sounding style and/or technique) -- I'm suddenly moved to ask if Johnny Coles ever played anything else before trumpet??

Seriously.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have been aware that KD started on tenor but have never found any recordings to check that out. There are recordings of him singing I believe.

I don't know of any recordings of Jimmy Hamilton playing trumpet either. or of Lester Young's sister playing sax. or of Bird playing clarinet. etc...

KD sings on his album "This is the Moment!" on Riverside.

I have been aware that KD started on tenor but have never found any recordings to check that out. There are recordings of him singing I believe.

I don't know of any recordings of Jimmy Hamilton playing trumpet either. or of Lester Young's sister playing sax. or of Bird playing clarinet. etc...