Any Cecil Taylor / JImmy Lyons video "in print"?

When INA (Intitut National de l'Audiovisuel) started releasing a large part of their videos last Fall I was hoping that the superb film 'De l'Autre Coté du Chemin de Fer' would be freed from their vaults but it still is being kept hidden.

The French TV show produced by Luc Ferrari and brillantly directed by Gérard Patris was filmed in a magnificient house overlooking the Place des Vosges in central Paris. It was part of the Ferrari-Patris series 'Les Grandes Répétitions' from 1965-1966. All films from the series last about one hour each.

De l'Autre Coté's subject was Cecil Taylor and his unit (Jimmy Lyons, Alan Silva, Andrew Cyrille). The film had interviews by CT and music by the Unit.

I managed to obtain a copy of the film under condition I keep it strictly for myself.

I hope INA will soon change its decision and release it.

The Cecil Taylor performances by the Unit (with Sam Rivers and sans Silva) at the Maeght foundation in southern France in 1969 were also filmed but the videos are kept inside the Maeght foundation.

I attended a Cecil Taylor concert in early 1968 - part of an arts festival in Buffalo, N.Y.

The group was comprised (iirc) of Mr. Taylor, Jimmy Lyons, Eddie Gale, Alan Silva, and Andrew Cyrille. The concert was filmed by a fairly well known documentary film maker - I cannot recall who. An Albert Ayler concert was also filmed during that festival. It would be great if that film footage survived.

I believe I read on paristransatlantic.com or in some message board conversation featuring Dan Warburton that the entire series of Ferrari's music documentaries is being prepared for DVD release.

That would be awesome! Beside the Cecil Taylor, I saw the ones on Scherchen and Varese. Missed the others (Messiaen and Stockhausen)...

Hope the DVDs will be available soon!

I have never seen or heard of video documentation of any of the great Cecil Taylor groups with Jimmy Lyons. Does anybody know of any? thanks, Dan

I have a PAL DVD-R of interview and performance footage of Cecil in Paris, 1968 (51 minutes). The quartet includes Lyons, Silva and Cyrille. If memory serves, I most probably received it through a jazz vine some time ago.

I have never seen or heard of video documentation of any of the great Cecil Taylor groups with Jimmy Lyons. Does anybody know of any? thanks, Dan

"Four" (not Miles's tune) on disc 1 of the Albert Ayler Revenant box, with Taylor, Lyons, Ayler, Murray (Copenhagen, November 16, 1962), is the audio track from a television studio taping, but apparently no video footage survives......

Cecil/Jimmy were also broadcast on television in 1983 in Germany and in 1984 in France. The German tape features his sextet along with several dancers. The Paris '84 broadcast is with the Winged Serpent era orchestra (great lineup!). I have grainy tapes of both, and would love to buy better copies, if they would be released.

According to Jan Strom's Jimmy Lyons Sessionagraphy, the following video documents of Taylor and Lyons together exists:

76-0618 17th Yugoslavian Jazz Festival, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Raphé Malik(tp), David S. Ware(ts), Marc Edwards(dr)

1. Streams (22:21)

2. Chorus of Seed (25:21)

Total time (48:04)

1 – 2. Enja 2084, “Dark To Themselves”, (LP)

Inner City, “Dark To Themselves”, (LP)

Enja, R2 79638, “Dark To Themselves”, (CD)

Enja, 2084 2, “Dark To Themselves”, (CD)

Notes: The complete concert is 61:45 and is on Enja CD 2084 2.

According to Marc Edwards, a video recording was made.

83-1000 Madrid Arenal Jazz Club, Spain

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), William Parker(b), André Martinez(perc), Rashid Bakr(dr), Brenda Bakr(vo)

1. Unknown titles

Notes: Private video tape exists. (Andre Martinez)

84-0000 Imac Theater, Long Island, USA

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Frank Wright(ts), William Parker(b), André Martinez(dr)

2. Unknown titles

Notes: A video recording exists.

84-0700A Nimac Theather, Hunington, Long Island, NY, USA

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Frank Wright(ts), William Parker(b), André Martinez(perc)

1. Unknown titles

Notes: Private video tape exists. (André Martinez).

Date is said to be: “Summer 1984”.

84-1105 Teatro CIAK, Mailand, Italy)

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p, vo), Jimmy Lyons(as), Frank Wright(ts), William Parker(b), André Martinez(dr)

1. Unknown title

Notes: The concert was video recorded.

There are also these television broadcasts, from which video may exist somewhere:

62-1014 TV studio, Swedish Radio , Stockholm, Sweden

CECIL TAYLOR QUARTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Kurt Lindgren(b), Sunny Murray(dr)

1. Announcement, Swedish

2. Spontaneous Improvisation (14:18)

3. Flamingo (13:51)

4. What’s New ( 7:06)

Total time (35:09)

1 – 3. TV broadcast, tape

2 – 3. Ingo (Italy), Sixteen, “The Early Unit 1962”, (LP)

4. In circulation as a radio broadcast.

Notes: The LP, # 2 – 3, is made from the TV broadcast.

According to Sunny Murray, it only happened once in Stockholm that a recording session took place and as Kurt Lindgren played with the group only 2 days, it is likely that the possible radio recording took place on the same occasion as the TV recording. The TV broadcast is confirmed by a notice in an article from Orkesterjournalen (SE), November 1962.The TV tape was reused.

The announcement is made by Bengt “Abbe” Johansson.

==================================

62-1116 TV studio, Copenhagen, Denmark

CECIL TAYLOR QUARTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Albert Ayler(ts), Sunny Murray(dr)

1. TV introduction, Danish ( 0:06)

2. Presentation by Börje Roger Henrichsen ( 4:09)

3. Unknown title (20:45)

Total time (25,00)

1 – 3 TV broadcast, tape.

Notes: The concert was broadcast in Danish TV but the tape was reused due to shortage of tapes.

Title # 3 was radio broadcast by WKCR-FM, NYC on an “Albert Ayler Birthday

Broadcast” July 13/14, 1986.

The announcer is referring to a date of September 26, 1963 which is the date of the TV

broadcast from Copenhagen.

===================================

CECIL TAYLOR QUARTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Sam Rivers(ts, fl), Andrew Cyrille(dr)

1. Announcement ( 0:26)

2. Fragments Of A Dedication To Duke ( 6:58)

3. Announcement ( 0:18)

4. Unknown title (10:21)

Total time: (18:06)

1 – 4. BBC-TV broadcast, tape.

Notes: Announcements are made by Ronnie Scott

CECIL TAYLOR TRIO

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Andrew Cyrille(dr)

1. Unknown title (83:00)

1. This is probably a recording from a radio broadcast.

Notes: The concert was also partly broadcasted in Austrian TV.

====================================

81-1109 Teatro Ciak, Milano, Italy

CECIL TAYLOR QUARTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), William Parker(b), Rashid Bakr(dr)

1. Unknown titles

Notes: This concert was TV broadcast, 40 minutes.

83-0900 Cagliari, Italy

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), William Parker(b), André Martinez(perc), Rashid Bakr(dr), Brenda Bakr(vo)

1. Unknown title, 1st set (45:00) INC

1. TV broadcast.

Notes:

83-0902 Messina, Sicily, Italy

CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET

1. Unknown titles

Notes: The concert was recorded for TV

83-1030 Berlin Jazz Festival, Philharmonie, Berlin, Germany

CECIL TAYLOR SEXTET

Cecil Taylor(p, vo, perc), Jimmy Lyons(as), (congas), William Parker(b), Rashid Bakr(dr), Andre Martinez(perc), Brenda Bakr(vo), Diane McIntyre and Sounds in Motion: Cheryl Banks, Dorothea "Mickey" Davidson, Diane McIntyre, Warren Spears, Kevin Wynn (dancers)

Dancers also given are: Leon Brown(dance), Philip Bond(dance), Pauline Zaguehi(dance)

1. Unknown title (63:16) INC

2. Unknown title (33:24)

Total time (96:40)

1. TV broadcast

2. Private, audience recording

Notes:

=========================================

84-1018 Jazzovy Festival Praha 84, Ministry of Culture, Prague, Checkoslavakia

CECIL TAYLOR TENTET

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Frank Wright(ts), John Tchicai(as), Enrico Rava(tp), Tomasz Stanko(tp), Karen Borca(bassoon), Gunter Hampel(vib), William Parker(b), André Martinez(dr)

1. Music for Two Continents, part 1 (72:42) INC

2. Radio announcement (0:51)

3. Music for Two Continents, part 2 (12:12) INC

4. Announcement (0:18)]

Notes: The concert was recorded for TV.

=========================================

84-1026 Jazz Jamboree, Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Poland

CECIL TAYLOR BIG BAND

Cecil Taylor(p), Jimmy Lyons(as), Frank Wright(ts), John Tchicai(as), Tomasz Stanko(tp), Karen Borca(bassoon), Gunter Hampel(bs,bcl, fl), William Parker(b), André Martinez(dr)

1. Music For Two Continents, part 1

Notes: The concert was recorded for TV but never boroadcast.

========================================

84-1101 le Teatre Musical de Paris, Paris, France

CECIL TAYLOR TENTET

Cecil Taylor(p,voice), Jimmy Lyons(as), Karen Borca(bassoon), Frank Wright(ts), John Tchicai(ts, voice), Tomasz Stanko(tp), Gunter Hampel(bs, cl, fl), William Parker(b), André Martinez(perc), Rashid Bakr(dr)

1. Womb Water Scent Of The Burning Amadillo Shell (47:46)

2. Unknown title (25:24)

3. Unknown title ( 2:41)

4. Announcement, French ( 1:09)

Total time (79:53)

1 – 4. TV broadcast by Radio France from le Festival de Jazz de Paris

Notes: Title 3 is a piano solo by Cecil Taylor.

At the artist is performing a ”dance” at the curtain-call.

Andrew Martinez remembers:

"...watching the Paris tape... if you notice after the first set, we leave the stage and don't

come back for encore. Reason being, the night before Cecil was put on the spot and

was made to play with the Art Ensemble of Chicago as part of contract, and monies of entire tour was tied in somehow. So the maestro did perform with them. The next day the maestro plays, but one set only, as agreed.

So we play, the crowd is going wild chanting and all, and no band returns. You know these crowds can level the place if you don't respond quick enough. Needless to say the promoter is flipping out. The response from the maestro: "Well, if we are to play a SECOND SET!!! Then that will require SECOND SET!!! compensation. The frantic promoter then compensates the maestro, and

we return to the stage... The Paris gig was the finale of the Two Continents tour and of the Paris Jazz festival."

===========================================

• 5 months later...