Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF? They have the luge course (where going off the track isn't completely unheard of) underneath some kind of overpass thing? I assumed when I heard about this that it was some kind of freak accident, but this is absurd. Whoever designed this was a complete idiot!

I agree. Concrete pillars next to the track? They need some heavy duty plexiglass in there asap.

Apparently ESPN is only vaguely aware that the Winter Olympic Games are happening. I realize it's on "another network," but still, aren't they supposed to cover ... you know ... sports?

Judging by the coverage that I've seen on espn, the NBA All-Star game (aka, watching paint dry) is a waaaaaay bigger event. Huge. Enormous. Even the celebrity game and lap-dancing ... errr ... All-Star game halftime show is apparently worth infinitely more commentary on espn than the Olympics. ... Curious.

What ... you guys aren't watching it either?

I have to admit, I can only stomach so much figure skating and cross country skiing.

Of the modern events I do like the snowboard cross. Women's is on tonight.

But boy do I loathe the moguls. It's just a made up mishmash of nonsense, all the more painful if you've ever had knee surgery. If they insist in running the event instead of the knee spotted outfits they should just make the skiers put a walnut between their knees and if it's dropped you're out. All while having biathletes firing at them. Yup, I really don't like the event at all.

As far as skating thus far in the little bit that's been on I've heard "The Way We Were," "Send In The Clowns" and "Theme From Love Story." Holy cow, I thought the sheet music for the last one had been destroyed. All that's left is for a couple of skaters to use "The Morning After" and "Ben" then they'll have a complete Jeopardy category of Nauseating Soundtrack Songs Of The Early '70s To Skate To. I can't wait until 2030 when skaters discovers jazz covers of Radiohead & Björk for their routines.

It's pretty much over for me. My favorites are ski jumping (by far) and luge, and they're pretty much done. I thought the first few days were exciting!

Remember Wide World of Sports' opening, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat? To illustrate the agony of defeat, for years it had a clip of a ski jumper falling off the ski jump in Oberstdorf, Germany. I have been to that ski jump and it amazed me! Been a big fan of ski jumping ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yvkT2uMnIY (see around 0:12-0:17)

Edited by It Should be You

On the lighter side of things, it was Wayne Gretzky who had the honor to lit up the Olympix Cauldron. Not the greatest of picks. If he took part in the Olympics, can't say his realisations as an Olympian made him the best choice. Nancy Greene or Gaetan Boucher would have been better picks.

Being from Montreal, you have to appreciate Gretzky's iconic, near mythical status. With hockey being the national sport and with all the focus on the men's team and their quest for the gold, he was a natural choice. Personally, I'd have gone with either Diana Krall or Geddy Lee.

Edited by Dave James

Being from Montreal, I'd like to take a break from hearing about hockey. :lol:

If Canada did not have a story of great winter Olympic athletes, he would have made sense, but we did achieve more than than being good at ice hockey and what better than this event to celebrate sportsmen or sportswomen that have nowhere the level of fame than hockey players here but went to an outstanding level of excellence in other sports.

It is a bit if for the games in London, they picked David Beckham over Jonathan Edwards for the same ceremony.

Edited by Van Basten II

Not a big surprise to me. Every one of these guys on both teams play against one another in the NHL. Plus, Canada has/had a huge amount of pressure on it to win (now, no doubt, replaced by end-of-days gloom). And these all-star teams that are thrown together with virtually no practice beforehand for single tournaments are notoriously unpredictable. Sometimes good. Sometimes they spend the entire time trying to figure one another out.

That said, Brodeur did not have a good game, and the U.S. goaltender, Miller, is one of the top goaltenders in the NHL. That Rafalski guy who had two goals against his old teammate Brodeur looked like he knew exactly where Brodeur was vulnerable (low, glove side).

(I only saw highlights of the game because we don't have msnbc at work -- available on digital package only, apparently. Weak.)

Nice win. Now the pressure shifts a bit.

I don't know why folks are so surprised that the United States won last night. First of all, they were wearing the same style sweaters the Miracle on Ice crew wore in 1980, so I'm sure that was worth at least one goal. And, as others have said, Ryan Miller is a darn good goaltender, perhaps the best at what he does in the entire world. Further, while the U.S. may not have big name skaters like Sid the Kid, Dany Heatley, or Rick Nash, they are still loaded. All I wish is that Brian Rafalski would play like this for the Red Wings. He hasn't been much more than a pylon all year and now he morphs into some kind of goal scoring mofo with MVP written all over him. What up with that?

Another tragic story at these Olympics: Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette's mother dies of massive heart attack hours after arriving in Vancouver to watch her daughter perform. The skater decides to continue with the competition, but what a heavy heart she must be carrying.

On a lighter note, I'm one of those geeks watching (and learning about) curling. Mostly the women. -- I think they should incorporate the traditional beer-drinking component of the event into the Olympic competitions though.

And some spectacular scenery in some of these outdoor events, like cross country skiing. Gorgeous mountains.

And some spectacular scenery in some of these outdoor events, like cross country skiing. Gorgeous mountains.

I spent a week in Whistler during a conference in 1998. I don't remember much as I was in grad school so I took full advantage of the corporate sponsored parties in the evenings (beer on tap, usually ran out within an hour), but I do remember the awesome scenery. The mountains make you sort of turn your head and look up at them whenever you're walking outside.

Tean USA beat Canada in hockey for the first time in over 50 years?? Take that you hosers!! :D

I can only imagine what the atmosphere is like 'Up North' today. Black armbands out !

Can't talk for others, well for starters it's really not a surprise in terms of developpement US universities are as good as the junior system we have here. So it's just a question of numbers before they overpass them in terms of depth. Considering how much I hate the hysteria regarding hockey and how we are supposed to own this game, can't help but being thrilled to see them lose , would love to see them ending again without a medal. It's a bit like seeing the Squadra Azurra being eliminated in the first round of the World Cup.

Feel a lot worse for our female figure skater Joannie Rochette who suddenly lost her mother something like two days before her competition.

NB If I start receiving threats from crazy Canadian hockey fans for being a traitor to my nation, will some of the Yanks host me 'til it quiets down. :ph34r:

Edited by Van Basten II

On one of my guys only hockey trips to Vancouver several years ago, we went curling. I guarantee you it's way more fun to play than to watch, and the watching ain't bad. I've viewed more of this than any other sport in this Olympics. I like the women's game more than the men's. It's a little more about strategy and technique and a little less about power. Cheryl Bernard, the Canadian skip would make a fine cougar. She's 44 years old and an awfully nice package.

Enough of this. Time to check out the Women of Curling calendar.

http://oglympics.com/2010/02/16/women-of-curling-fire-on-ice/

The hockey thing is not over.....

The weather is just nuts.

I live 40 minutes south of BC and 2 hours from Whistler.

It has felt like May or June for last week.

The mountains are bare and these guys are skiing on stuff I can find in Winslow, AZ!!!

TV coverage is a joke...utterly and completely a joke.

Half of Sundays coverage was about the 80's hockey team and ice dancing by Jessica Simpson and Pocahantas wanna bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half of Sundays coverage was about the 80's hockey team and ice dancing by Jessica Simpson and Pocahantas wanna bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, NBC kind of turned into the Al Michaels channel there for a while. And watch out if it's Russia vs. the U.S. for the gold medal in hockey. We'll have 1980 jammed down our throats all over again.

The guy is overrated, in my book. He had one memorable line in his entire career and that's it. He was terrible on MNF, I thought. I know others disagree, but I don't get him at all.