BFT 73 (It's All About the) Discussion (of ME) Thread

Big Al

p.s. Dudu's surname is 'Pukwana' smile.gif -

You know, I spelled it that way to begin with & then saw it spelled the other way online and, not trusting my age and/or memory, went with "Pakwana", which now looks so obviously wrong I can't believe I would even consider it....

I'm in the market for swampland if anybody's got any for sale...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p.s. Dudu's surname is 'Pukwana' smile.gif -

You know, I spelled it that way to begin with & then saw it spelled the other way online and, not trusting my age and/or memory, went with "Pakwana", which now looks so obviously wrong I can't believe I would even consider it....

I'm in the market for swampland if anybody's got any for sale...

I've got a stadium in like-new condition, only one owner, in the neighborhood, priced to sell. Let me know if you're interested!

This was a weird one. I don't have much intelligent to say about many of these tracks, but here goes (written before reading any of the thread):

1. Very hip – Monk’s arrangement of “Abide With Me” performed vocally. Don’t know why someone didn’t think of this before.

2. You the man, Big Al.

3. Dizzy – or two Dizzys. Don’t know the recording, but it’s 60s boogaloo – fun, not great.

4. Nice groove – don’t know the trumpeter. Again, pleasant, but not particularly memorable.

5. Pretty good soul/Afro-ish groove. Don’t know who the vibes/marimba player is, but he (or she) is pretty good. Besides Karl Berger (who is obviously not the player here), I don’t know who else uses muted “pizzicato” notes on vibes like at the end here.

6. “Oh Happy Day” by some pretty good organist. Don’t know who, but he/she is good.

7. Stanley Turrentine for sure, and probably Shirley Scott. This is mighty sweet. I love the drummer. Great stuff.

8. I’m probably insulting a pretty good drummer by saying this, but if the last track was a lesson in great soul drumming, this is shows how to make it boring. Maybe he was doing what the producer wanted. Good organist – again, I don’t know who it is.

9. I like the alto player – kind of sloppy, but soulful. I feel like I should know the tune, but I don’t.

10. This is really good. I can’t think of the name of this Mexican song, but this is a great, imaginative, accomplished version. I like the way the piano doesn’t even play for awhile, then comes in sparely at first. Clark Terry on trumpet?

11. Well, the clarinet player has a beautiful sound. Otherwise, this is just too weird for me.

12. Disco/Ventures Poinciana. Okay, I can die now – I’ve heard it all.

13. Delicious sax section sound. And nice singer, whom I can’t identify. It’s all too tempting to oversing this kind of thing, and she doesn’t.

14. Is this an alto flute? Whoever it is, it’s really nice fluting. And I like the rhythm section – straight, restrained bossa. I should know the tune, but I can’t think of the name.

15. I find the pianist much more interesting than the flutist. With so little harmonic motion, it’s not always easy to play something memorable, and the flutist doesn’t always manage it. I like the piano player, though.

16. On my first go-round with this one, I wrote down “Lionel Hampton with Red Allen.” After going to my RCA/Bluebird LP set, I’m amazed – I had no idea Gil Fuller was such a good trumpet player. And I think the tenor soloist is Budd Johnson. The tune is “Fiddle Faddle.” This is primo swing – I like it a lot.

17. It sounds like Red Norvo, with maybe Tal Farlow on guitar. This is great: straight-ahead jazz at its best. It swings, and the solos are personal and well-constructed.

18. I don’t know what this is, but the tenor player is Joe Henderson, I think. Why the fadeout?

19. Nice piano trio. Interestingly constructed piece. I like it, and have no idea who it is.

20. Don’t know what to say about this. Well done, for what it is.

21. The groove is a little obvious and repetitive for me, but I like the soloists, especially the rough-toned alto player. Is the trumpeter Hugh Masekela?

22. Good music, but a little too “genial” for me. I think this is something I once knew, but it has long faded from memory.

23. Nice for a pretty straightforward piece of Americana.

24. Do the Rubber Band!

Thanks for an interesting BFT. Now let me go back and see how foolish I look.

OK, time to embarrass myself…

1. Intended to be annoying - and it was! No idea who it is.

2. The Beatles’ “Birthday” drum part sampled and looped, with some kooky version of “Happy Birthday” over the top. Clearly you HAD to work this in to your birthday celebration BFT Al!

3. Not sure who this is. It has the feel of a 1960s Gerald Wilson Pacific Jazz big band thing, but doesn’t grab me by the balls in any way like the best of that stuff does, seems lighter weight. Heavy on the brass – in fact are there any reeds at all? The trumpet trade offs don’t sound very inspired, rather weak in fact. One of the trumpeters uses some half-valving effects that recall Lee Morgan, but if it’s Lee Morgan he was definitely having a very off day. I wanted to grab that tambourine in the right channel right out of the hands of the person who shook it mercilessly throughout and feed it to him.

4. No idea – left no impression at all, very generic.

5. By far the most enjoyable piece for me to this point in the disc. I like the groove established right from the opening bass line, though it grew a little tiresome about midway. My first thought here was that must be Bobby Hutcherson on vibes and then marimba, since not a huge number of vibists double on marimba. But it doesn’t sound like Hutcherson’s playing exactly. Harmonically it’s nowhere near as sophisticated as what he usually does and there’s some cutesy/coy stuff near the end of the piece he does on marimba that I don’t think Hutch would ever resort to even on his worst day. Roy Ayers perhaps? Dave Pike?

6. Another one that just sounded very generic to me. I recognize the changes, this is an R&B classic I think but I’ll be damned if I can name the tune. Maybe it’s my mood – normally I love “groove jazz” but these pieces just aren’t standing out for me. Nice BIG organ sound though, I dig the organ playing here quite a bit. Not Groove Holmes, I don’t think. Don Patterson?

7. Now this is more like it! That’s Stanley Turrentine’s tenor caressing my ears from the left channel, could tell that from literally his first note. This is the first piece where I heard a real distinctive, readily identifiable “voice” on any instrument. The tune itself is again rather generic but Stanley takes it up a notch with his commitment and passion and sheer artistry. So guessing that must be Shirley Scott on organ then, and perhaps Jimmy Ponder on guitar (nice spot he has here, too) – is this on the COMMON TOUCH LP for Blue Note from 1968?

8. Again really not sure. Flute (Bobbi Humphrey?) and some very commercial sounding strings, metronomic drumming, completely static harmony (again)…a little of that is fine but track after track it’s not for me, I need some chord changes. By the time the organ comes in, which is nice for about the first 60 seconds and then gets tediously “funky”, it’s a lost cause for me. And again with the needless hand percussion – this time instead of a tambourine, it’s some kind of shaker in the right channel (or maybe they were sanding down the floors while the recording was being made).

9. I have no idea who this is but I like it. Very rockish, in fact may be a rock group dabbling in improvisational jazz rather than the other way around. But the saxophonists sound like real jazz players to me for sure, really digging in. Could be the drummer’s band, he’s really busy and up front but it works, really stokes the fires. Probably a pretty limited distribution recording, rather primitive sound. But again I liked this quite a lot, it had heart and guts, a real “we try harder” vibe. Very interested to learn who it is.

10. This is “Cielito Lindo” from the OUT OF THE STORM recording led by Ed Thigpen, the one that was issued as a Verve Elite CD a few years back – all star line up with Kenny Burrell (I would have picked out his tone instantly even if I didn’t have this CD, like Turrentine a thoroughly original and distinctive “voice” on his instrument), Herbie Hancock, Clark Terry, and Ron Carter. I really dig this one and haven’t thought about or played it in a long time – thanks for bringing this back into consciousness, Al!

11. This temporarily killed the momentum for me, kitschy/loungy stuff. Just not my thing. No idea who.

12. My first thought when this came on, I kid you not, was that it was some lost Big Country track from the 1980s, that guitar in the intro really had that sound. Unfortunately this track was almost unplayable after the intro, skipping badly, so I didn’t have a chance to listen further, but what I heard sounded damned odd. WAS it Big Country sampled and then played behind jazz???

13. This was pretty cool, I dug it. Held my interest, interesting harmonies with some resemblance to Miles’ “Milestones” in spots. No idea who the artists are here. I’ll fling out a wild guess of Rita Reys as the vocalist (and probably look like an ass in the process). Waiting with interest for the reveal on this one.

14. This is a famous bossa nova piece, and it is driving me crazy that I can’t name the song…I dug through all my bossa CDs even trying to find another version. I know that melody…arggh! Anyway I don’t know who the flautist is or what this track is from and I’m not inclined to care too much – way, way too “easy listening” for my taste. Makes Getz’ bossa stuff sound like Ayler.

15. No idea, but this sounds like Latin jazz played by non-Latin jazz players that haven’t quite got it down. The flute is very thin and “chirpy” sounding first off, whereas the best of the real Latin flute players like Johnny Pacheco had a huge, beefy sound. The piano also just does not sound authentic, and the piano solo in particular is rather stiff sounding and most unswinging.

16. Funny intro (from a movie I’m not familiar with I suppose), and then the piece, which I enjoyed a lot (what I was able to hear of it). I am certain these are swing era giants I should be able to nail cold, and I’m ashamed I couldn’t, really no idea. Unfortunately the piece also cut out in the middle and then came in and out for the remainder so I couldn’t hear most of it. I’ll be very interested to hear who this was, will seek it out for sure.

17. Another good one – we’re getting back on track! This swung like mad (though quietly), and the band was TIGHT. LOVED the vibes here – damn, who was that? Clearly not an inside/out modern player, too straight, and it doesn’t have the old school Lionel Hampton quavery sound thing going…probably someone from in between those eras? Eddie Costa? I have to know, and definitely want to check out this recording. TOO SHORT but then again always good to leave them wanting more I suppose.

18. I believe that’s Joe Henderson on tenor, has to be…but why on earth was it faded out so quickly? What a DISAPPOINTMENT, I was digging it! I couldn’t place the track or any of the other musicians based on this brief little snippet.

19. This was fun, bouncy stuff, with more going on that meets the eye on initial listen. Really enjoyed the pianist, but once again I strike out on identifying them or the other players. Not sure I need to hear it more than once, but a nice way to spend a few minutes.

20. I tried but just couldn’t even begin to get into this. No interest.

21. Back to the groove-based jazz. Nothing offensive, but nothing stood out for me either, and I don’t recognize any of the instrumental “voices.” Don’t need to hear it again.

22. I felt like my headphones might literally float off my head on gossamer wisps of cloud – or something like that. Ick. The guitar is so “wet” with reverb and the electric piano so “dry” they sound like they’re being flown in from completely different sessions.

23. “Amazing Grace,” a tune I never tire of hearing (seriously, not being ironic). My Chapman Stick-playing friend and I used to do a Stick/guitar duet version of this tune that I have to say was pretty nice…but I digress. This is a more country than jazz-oriented take on the song, and it’s enjoyable but not something I'd likely return to much. Who is it, you ask? Well again I say "Not a clue."

24. On the same track index we then get the little jokey bit (puppet and puppeteer?), followed by some keyboard stuff that sounds like the music they used to play on the old 70s game show “Match Game”!

Thanks for an evening of fun, Al! I didn’t dig a lot of this stuff but there were at least 3 or 4 nuggets I’ll be seeking out, and it was a blast getting a peek at your world.

This was a weird one. I don't have much intelligent to say about many of these tracks, but here goes (written before reading any of the thread):

1. Very hip – Monk’s arrangement of “Abide With Me” performed vocally. Don’t know why someone didn’t think of this before.

2. You the man, Big Al.

3. Dizzy – or two Dizzys. Don’t know the recording, but it’s 60s boogaloo – fun, not great.

4. Nice groove – don’t know the trumpeter. Again, pleasant, but not particularly memorable.

5. Pretty good soul/Afro-ish groove. Don’t know who the vibes/marimba player is, but he (or she) is pretty good. Besides Karl Berger (who is obviously not the player here), I don’t know who else uses muted “pizzicato” notes on vibes like at the end here.

6. “Oh Happy Day” by some pretty good organist. Don’t know who, but he/she is good.

7. Stanley Turrentine for sure, and probably Shirley Scott. This is mighty sweet. I love the drummer. Great stuff.

8. I’m probably insulting a pretty good drummer by saying this, but if the last track was a lesson in great soul drumming, this is shows how to make it boring. Maybe he was doing what the producer wanted. Good organist – again, I don’t know who it is.

9. I like the alto player – kind of sloppy, but soulful. I feel like I should know the tune, but I don’t.

10. This is really good. I can’t think of the name of this Mexican song, but this is a great, imaginative, accomplished version. I like the way the piano doesn’t even play for awhile, then comes in sparely at first. Clark Terry on trumpet?

11. Well, the clarinet player has a beautiful sound. Otherwise, this is just too weird for me.

12. Disco/Ventures Poinciana. Okay, I can die now – I’ve heard it all.

13. Delicious sax section sound. And nice singer, whom I can’t identify. It’s all too tempting to oversing this kind of thing, and she doesn’t.

14. Is this an alto flute? Whoever it is, it’s really nice fluting. And I like the rhythm section – straight, restrained bossa. I should know the tune, but I can’t think of the name.

15. I find the pianist much more interesting than the flutist. With so little harmonic motion, it’s not always easy to play something memorable, and the flutist doesn’t always manage it. I like the piano player, though.

16. On my first go-round with this one, I wrote down “Lionel Hampton with Red Allen.” After going to my RCA/Bluebird LP set, I’m amazed – I had no idea Gil Fuller was such a good trumpet player. And I think the tenor soloist is Budd Johnson. The tune is “Fiddle Faddle.” This is primo swing – I like it a lot.

17. It sounds like Red Norvo, with maybe Tal Farlow on guitar. This is great: straight-ahead jazz at its best. It swings, and the solos are personal and well-constructed.

18. I don’t know what this is, but the tenor player is Joe Henderson, I think. Why the fadeout?

19. Nice piano trio. Interestingly constructed piece. I like it, and have no idea who it is.

20. Don’t know what to say about this. Well done, for what it is.

21. The groove is a little obvious and repetitive for me, but I like the soloists, especially the rough-toned alto player. Is the trumpeter Hugh Masekela?

22. Good music, but a little too “genial” for me. I think this is something I once knew, but it has long faded from memory.

23. Nice for a pretty straightforward piece of Americana.

24. Do the Rubber Band!

Thanks for an interesting BFT. Now let me go back and see how foolish I look.

1. You, my friend, just nailed the inspiration for this track!

2. Thank you! Thank you!

3. Dizzy ‘tis. And I think you also nailed what could be the theme of the BFT. Or my life, take yer pick.

7. I don’t know why I’m surprised people are nailing this one. OH wait, I know: I was hoping to see if anyone would figure out the drummer!

10. Clark Terry ‘tis!

12. {{{sigh}}} I’m gonna go tell all my Ventures friends I know who bought all those copies of The Latin Album! :D

15. Well, there’s a reason you’ll find the piano player more interesting than the flute player!

16. Like I said to Sangrey, I learn all kindsa things by naively placing various tracks on a BFT (like, how many disco Ventures fans there are! :P ) I haven’t read the credits to this disc, and it looks like I need to. PRONTO!

17. If NOBODY gets this one, (mikeweil, don’t disappoint me, man!) I will feel like I’ve accomplished something in this life!

18. Joe ‘tis! Why the fadeout? I wish I knew!

20. Well, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s said about it so far! :lol:

21. Yes, it’s Hugh. (“Stop saying that. Make him stop saying that!” “Please, I am a doctor in musicology.” “Can you fix a hi-fi?” “No.” “Then shut up!”)

24. heh heh heh heh! :D

Great guesses and comments, Jeff! :tup

Big Al posted: 7. I don’t know why I’m surprised people are nailing this one. OH wait, I know: I was hoping to see if anyone would figure out the drummer!

Idris Muhammad?

Big Al posted: 17. If NOBODY gets this one, (mikeweil, don’t disappoint me, man!) I will feel like I’ve accomplished something in this life!

I'm going to get this one DAMMIT...just tell me this for a start so I'll know if I'm heading down the right path, did I guess right about the vibes player - is it Eddie Costa?

jeffcrom posted: 1. Very hip – Monk’s arrangement of “Abide With Me” performed vocally. Don’t know why someone didn’t think of this before.

I picked this up right away, but thought it was obvious enough that it wasn't much of a pick up on my part, so didn't mention it. I didn't like it too much.

Edited by DrJ

OK, time to embarrass myself…

1. Intended to be annoying - and it was! No idea who it is.

2. The Beatles’ “Birthday” drum part sampled and looped, with some kooky version of “Happy Birthday” over the top. Clearly you HAD to work this in to your birthday celebration BFT Al!

3. Not sure who this is. It has the feel of a 1960s Gerald Wilson Pacific Jazz big band thing, but doesn’t grab me by the balls in any way like the best of that stuff does, seems lighter weight. Heavy on the brass – in fact are there any reeds at all? The trumpet trade offs don’t sound very inspired, rather weak in fact. One of the trumpeters uses some half-valving effects that recall Lee Morgan, but if it’s Lee Morgan he was definitely having a very off day. I wanted to grab that tambourine in the right channel right out of the hands of the person who shook it mercilessly throughout and feed it to him.

4. No idea – left no impression at all, very generic.

5. By far the most enjoyable piece for me to this point in the disc. I like the groove established right from the opening bass line, though it grew a little tiresome about midway. My first thought here was that must be Bobby Hutcherson on vibes and then marimba, since not a huge number of vibists double on marimba. But it doesn’t sound like Hutcherson’s playing exactly. Harmonically it’s nowhere near as sophisticated as what he usually does and there’s some cutesy/coy stuff near the end of the piece he does on marimba that I don’t think Hutch would ever resort to even on his worst day. Roy Ayers perhaps? Dave Pike?

6. Another one that just sounded very generic to me. I recognize the changes, this is an R&B classic I think but I’ll be damned if I can name the tune. Maybe it’s my mood – normally I love “groove jazz” but these pieces just aren’t standing out for me. Nice BIG organ sound though, I dig the organ playing here quite a bit. Not Groove Holmes, I don’t think. Don Patterson?

7. Now this is more like it! That’s Stanley Turrentine’s tenor caressing my ears from the left channel, could tell that from literally his first note. This is the first piece where I heard a real distinctive, readily identifiable “voice” on any instrument. The tune itself is again rather generic but Stanley takes it up a notch with his commitment and passion and sheer artistry. So guessing that must be Shirley Scott on organ then, and perhaps Jimmy Ponder on guitar (nice spot he has here, too) – is this on the COMMON TOUCH LP for Blue Note from 1968?

8. Again really not sure. Flute (Bobbi Humphrey?) and some very commercial sounding strings, metronomic drumming, completely static harmony (again)…a little of that is fine but track after track it’s not for me, I need some chord changes. By the time the organ comes in, which is nice for about the first 60 seconds and then gets tediously “funky”, it’s a lost cause for me. And again with the needless hand percussion – this time instead of a tambourine, it’s some kind of shaker in the right channel (or maybe they were sanding down the floors while the recording was being made).

9. I have no idea who this is but I like it. Very rockish, in fact may be a rock group dabbling in improvisational jazz rather than the other way around. But the saxophonists sound like real jazz players to me for sure, really digging in. Could be the drummer’s band, he’s really busy and up front but it works, really stokes the fires. Probably a pretty limited distribution recording, rather primitive sound. But again I liked this quite a lot, it had heart and guts, a real “we try harder” vibe. Very interested to learn who it is.

10. This is “Cielito Lindo” from the OUT OF THE STORM recording led by Ed Thigpen, the one that was issued as a Verve Elite CD a few years back – all star line up with Kenny Burrell (I would have picked out his tone instantly even if I didn’t have this CD, like Turrentine a thoroughly original and distinctive “voice” on his instrument), Herbie Hancock, Clark Terry, and Ron Carter. I really dig this one and haven’t thought about or played it in a long time – thanks for bringing this back into consciousness, Al!

11. This temporarily killed the momentum for me, kitschy/loungy stuff. Just not my thing. No idea who.

12. My first thought when this came on, I kid you not, was that it was some lost Big Country track from the 1980s, that guitar in the intro really had that sound. Unfortunately this track was almost unplayable after the intro, skipping badly, so I didn’t have a chance to listen further, but what I heard sounded damned odd. WAS it Big Country sampled and then played behind jazz???

13. This was pretty cool, I dug it. Held my interest, interesting harmonies with some resemblance to Miles’ “Milestones” in spots. No idea who the artists are here. I’ll fling out a wild guess of Rita Reys as the vocalist (and probably look like an ass in the process). Waiting with interest for the reveal on this one.

14. This is a famous bossa nova piece, and it is driving me crazy that I can’t name the song…I dug through all my bossa CDs even trying to find another version. I know that melody…arggh! Anyway I don’t know who the flautist is or what this track is from and I’m not inclined to care too much – way, way too “easy listening” for my taste. Makes Getz’ bossa stuff sound like Ayler.

15. No idea, but this sounds like Latin jazz played by non-Latin jazz players that haven’t quite got it down. The flute is very thin and “chirpy” sounding first off, whereas the best of the real Latin flute players like Johnny Pacheco had a huge, beefy sound. The piano also just does not sound authentic, and the piano solo in particular is rather stiff sounding and most unswinging.

16. Funny intro (from a movie I’m not familiar with I suppose), and then the piece, which I enjoyed a lot (what I was able to hear of it). I am certain these are swing era giants I should be able to nail cold, and I’m ashamed I couldn’t, really no idea. Unfortunately the piece also cut out in the middle and then came in and out for the remainder so I couldn’t hear most of it. I’ll be very interested to hear who this was, will seek it out for sure.

17. Another good one – we’re getting back on track! This swung like mad (though quietly), and the band was TIGHT. LOVED the vibes here – damn, who was that? Clearly not an inside/out modern player, too straight, and it doesn’t have the old school Lionel Hampton quavery sound thing going…probably someone from in between those eras? Eddie Costa? I have to know, and definitely want to check out this recording. TOO SHORT but then again always good to leave them wanting more I suppose.

18. I believe that’s Joe Henderson on tenor, has to be…but why on earth was it faded out so quickly? What a DISAPPOINTMENT, I was digging it! I couldn’t place the track or any of the other musicians based on this brief little snippet.

19. This was fun, bouncy stuff, with more going on that meets the eye on initial listen. Really enjoyed the pianist, but once again I strike out on identifying them or the other players. Not sure I need to hear it more than once, but a nice way to spend a few minutes.

20. I tried but just couldn’t even begin to get into this. No interest.

21. Back to the groove-based jazz. Nothing offensive, but nothing stood out for me either, and I don’t recognize any of the instrumental “voices.” Don’t need to hear it again.

22. I felt like my headphones might literally float off my head on gossamer wisps of cloud – or something like that. Ick. The guitar is so “wet” with reverb and the electric piano so “dry” they sound like they’re being flown in from completely different sessions.

23. “Amazing Grace,” a tune I never tire of hearing (seriously, not being ironic). My Chapman Stick-playing friend and I used to do a Stick/guitar duet version of this tune that I have to say was pretty nice…but I digress. This is a more country than jazz-oriented take on the song, and it’s enjoyable but not something I'd likely return to much. Who is it, you ask? Well again I say "Not a clue."

24. On the same track index we then get the little jokey bit (puppet and puppeteer?), followed by some keyboard stuff that sounds like the music they used to play on the old 70s game show “Match Game”!

Thanks for an evening of fun, Al! I didn’t dig a lot of this stuff but there were at least 3 or 4 nuggets I’ll be seeking out, and it was a blast getting a peek at your world.

1. Damn straight it is! :)

2. Oh yes I did! What’s gonna be fun is revealing how much “work” went into this track!

3. This is payback for that Frankly Hyphenated Lacy track on your BFT! :P:D

5. Oh, the joys of discovering a vinyl needle in a Half-Price haystack!

7. LP correctly identified, which means you won’t have any trouble discovering who’s pounding the skins!

8. “sanding down the floors” HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

9. Circumstances dictated the purchase of this recording, which I no longer own BUT ONE OF THE PLAYERS DOES (if he ever decides to post his answers! ;) ). Details come answer-time.

10. Correct-a-mundo, you’re welcome, and my pleasure! My thanks to whoever sold it to me, cuz I’d been searching for it for some time!

11. Geeeeeeezz!!! NOBODY likes this song! :blush2:

12. Y’know, I can completely see how you might come to the Big Country conclusion. I’ll upload the track again for you so you can hear just how much this ISN’T Big Country (also, as I’m sure you’ve surmised by all the other guesses, this is heavy-duty disco; is it possible that the skipping sound you hear is just the disco hi-hat?)

13. Really surprised no one’s gotten this yet. Sangrey’s come the closest.

14. “Makes Getz’ bossa stuff sound like Ayler.” HAHAHAHAHA again! Wait’ll you find out who the arranger is (assuming you’d care :g )!

15. BFT’s are SO much fun for fooling people, and this track is having EXACTLY the desired effect I was hoping for!

16. Well, to be fair, the song itself is bookended by the two funny bits; so what may have sounded like a cut-off might’ve been the actual end of the song, with the funny bit added afterwards. Let me know if it sounds wrong; I’ll be happy to upload this one again as well.

17. I’m gonna write these guys a thank-you note once this is all over. This is making me feel so much better about all you clowns nailing the Ventures track! Chas has come the closest, so far!

18. I’m gonna send all these complaints about the fade-out to the artist on this album so HE can answer, cuz I wanna know too!!!

19. Glad that folks are digging this one. Don’t know how much of a surprise it will be once revealed. I think I was hoping there’d be at least one person who would hear this and go, “OH WOW! I haven’t listened to this in AGES! It’s.....”

21. WAAAIIIIT a second!!! You mean you can assault us with that Billy Hart and His Cacophonic Cluster track from your BFT, but not be moved by the otherworldly shrieks of Dudu Pukwana???? Some people!!! :lol::D

23. Cool story! Y’all are in for a surprise here!

24. Ain’t no keyboard. And I oughta know!!! :lol:

Glad you enjoyed this, Tony, as it showed in your great guesses and fantastic comments!

Big Al posted: 7. I don’t know why I’m surprised people are nailing this one. OH wait, I know: I was hoping to see if anyone would figure out the drummer!

Idris Muhammad?

Big Al posted: 17. If NOBODY gets this one, (mikeweil, don’t disappoint me, man!) I will feel like I’ve accomplished something in this life!

I'm going to get this one DAMMIT...just tell me this for a start so I'll know if I'm heading down the right path, did I guess right about the vibes player - is it Eddie Costa?

jeffcrom posted: 1. Very hip – Monk’s arrangement of “Abide With Me” performed vocally. Don’t know why someone didn’t think of this before.

I picked this up right away, but thought it was obvious enough that it wasn't much of a pick up on my part, so didn't mention it. I didn't like it too much.

1. Yup!

2. Not Eddie Costa!

3. :)

Back with another I.D. -

Track 17 is Pauline's Place from Terry Gibbs' Impulse album , Take It From Me .

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!!!!! You may now play track 24 to celebrate your match! :D

Outstanding stuff...going to pick this one up for sure!

Back with another I.D. -

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!!!!! You may now play track 24 to celebrate your match! :D

Good luck! I don't know that it's ever been available on CD domestically.

Back with another I.D. -

Good luck! I don't know that it's ever been available on CD domestically.

And that is why the Great Power made used VINYL! :excited:

Answers coming this week! So far, the following tracks have been id'd: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 21, and 22 (1, 2, and 24 don't really count).

Thanks to all who have guessed and made this BFT another ton o' fun! Still hoping to hear comments from the following folks:

Thom Keith

Bright Moments

Bill Barton

Hot Ptah

Spontooneous

Tom in RI

Ghost of Miles

mikeweil (even though I know he's swamped, as I'm sure a lot of folks are. But that still doesn't stop me from hopin'! :) )

Answers coming this week! So far, the following tracks have been id'd: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 21, and 22 (1, 2, and 24 don't really count).

Thanks to all who have guessed and made this BFT another ton o' fun! Still hoping to hear comments from the following folks:

Thom Keith

Bright Moments

Bill Barton

Hot Ptah

Spontooneous

Tom in RI

Ghost of Miles

mikeweil (even though I know he's swamped, as I'm sure a lot of folks are. But that still doesn't stop me from hopin'! :) )

Al, I replied that the BFT was a lot of fun and that I could not identify a single song or artist. That is still where I am at. I have enjoyed your BFT a lot.

Thom Keith

Bright Moments

Bill Barton

Hot Ptah

Spontooneous

Tom in RI

Ghost of Miles

Al, I replied that the BFT was a lot of fun and that I could not identify a single song or artist. That is still where I am at. I have enjoyed your BFT a lot.

Oops! Sorry about that! I misread it. Glad you enjoyed it, though! :)

Finally got to listen to disc 1 -- way behind this month. I dug most of this a lot. It kind of lost steam at the end of disc 1.

1 - aaaah... Peter Schickele?

2 - Well, some old fart must've turned 40. :P

3 - Groovy. No idea, but fun.

4 - Again, no idea, but fun. So far this encompasses an entire segment of the genre that I'm woefully ignorant of, but I like it.

5 - Very much digging this. In a weird way, the drums remind me of a tune on Pharoah's album PHAROAH on India Navigation.

6 - That bass is killing me. Hate that sound. Otherwise, I'm much digging this track. I'll throw out the guess of Bernard Purdie on drums. Organ seems too tame to be Groove, but seems a lot like one of his 70s recordings.

7 - Stanley Turrentine on tenor, got that right away. I guess I could pretty safely guess BP on drums again.

8 - That was like George W. on a bender -- clueless, but fun.

9 - This is tasty. Maybe something from George Braith? Dunno. Recognize the alto, but... can't peg it. At times, there are ideas that have me thinking James Spaulding, but the tone is wrong. At times, there's some Carl Grubbs in there, but seems to constrained to be him.

10 - Chops to spare. Not entirely sure who it is, but a very clean sound. Heavy vibrato, so I'm guessing an older guy. This is plain fun.

11 - This one is just too flowery for my tastes. Sounds like a soundtrack to a movie I'm guiltily watching because I'm too vegetative to do anything else. Or waiting to have my teeth drilled.

12 - No clue. Pass, though... a strained oblique makes it painful for me to have my right arm raised, finger pointed, as I shake my hips....