Benny Goodman's Yale Recordings

Bol

I may win the thick-member-of-the-year award, but I guess I still don't get it. Does the appearance of this "warning bar" indicate I have been deemed to have transgressed before, or is this being seen by everyone who makes a post? It can't be the former since I have been too busy to make many postings at all, let alone recently, and my posts are not exactly "in your face" stuff. If it's the latter, then I am surprised that some parental guidance system has been deemed necessary here-I haven't seen any of the nasty stuff that used to pass for posts on the BNBB. I don't recite the First Amendment much in my daily (or, for that matter my yearly) life, but is this warning system really essential to this Board? If so, count me as one even less enthusiastic poster...that comment will probably get me a plus one in the system-good in hockey but, I suppose, bad here. If the Board guru is really concerned about close supervision, may I suggest that each poster be made to sign a certification that he, she or it will not write displeasing things-this is being used to "great" advantage by the SEC in the corporate world and would get the HUAC seal of approval.

Charles, this system was put in place mainly because of the appearance of DEEP (Wingy) on the board. A registered poster can only see HIS warning marker, not anyone else's. According to a new thread, the administrators have now abandoned this system, and the warning markers do not any longer show up in the profile of members.

There were some inflammatory situations going on, inflammatory at least in the view of some, but these have calmed down a lot or been contained.

Lon-I hear ya, but I am not persuaded. I have found Deep's postings nasty and useless to me, and I simply avoid reading them. But, the presence of a couple morons doesn't warrant some non-transparent (that is, only the censors know what is worthy of warning and we are in the dark until we start getting pluses or whatever) system. How can anyone conduct him or herself properly when the rules are, at best, ambiguous and found only in the desk drawer of the Board moderator? A tip of the cap, then, to Senator Joe McCarthy, who had a long run on Broadway with this approach. I'm hardly some wild-assed (sorry) libertarian, but, as you can see, this new "system" has pricked (sorry) my conscience.-Chuck

Well, for whatever reason, the new system seems to have been held in such esteem by all that it too is history. I think it was a good attempt at some sort of interaction between the administrators and the members regarding infractions of the rules. . . . I don't doubt that this sort of interaction will happen either in private messaging or in threads on the board.

Just as you I'm a proponent of open discussion and of ignoring posters who I don't find relevant or who are incivil. (Sometimes I actually do ignore them! There are a few here I just don't read because I know I'll just get upset at their ideas. . . I know they're wrong and they don't seem to have a clue! ;) ). But I also have always felt that the administrators here have been just and communicative and I've stood behind their decision to NOT just leave it to the members to ignore or respond but to limit flaming and other attacks. I trust them not to abuse their power. I don't think I would trust Senator Joe then or now. . . . :unsure:

Of the Yales... Volume 2 consists of live shots from Basin Street circa 1955, and features some fine work by Ruby Braff, Paul Quinichette, Mel Powell, and Teddy Wilson. Volume 7 (?), already mentioned, is also worth picking up, for Phillips and Harris alone.

There are also some big band circa 1959 - 1960 recordings in this series, with Joe Newman and Zoot Sims among the soloists featured. Very much worth hearing.

• 18 years later...

Just now digging into this series, via a gift of the Music Masters box set that covers volumes 1-5 (six CDs in all).  Only on the second disc, but it's already apparent that Loren Schoenberg did a great job of selecting material for inclusion.  I've ordered the second box, even though I may already have some of it in the separate 1957-1964 big band set that was reissued several years ago... listening to this also makes me wonder if the Goodman Savory material, which documents a much earlier period, will ever see the light of day.  From what I've heard, the Goodman estate continues to make that scenario problematic.