Mingus: Themes from a Movie (?)

medjuck

The iTunes store has a playlist of songs in honour of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. One of the cuts is by Mingus and called Themes from Movies. Checking the iTunes store for Mingus I found a plethora a records-- many of which Sue would not approve of. However this song seems to be from another anthoology : The 10th Anniversary of the Jazz & Heritage Festival. Anyone know it's original provenance?

Yes, on Flying Fish and was also released on CD at some point. It's stuff from the 1976 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival; mostly Louisiana artists, but with a few "out-of-towners."

Clifton Chenier - Caledonia

Irving McLean - Brown Skin Girl (steel drums)

Roosevelt Sykes - Ice Cream Freezer

Henry Butler - The Breaks

Ironing Board Sam - Baby What You Want Me to Do

Onward Brass Band - Paul Barbarin's Second Line (editorial comment: Hell, yeah!)

Robert Pete Williams - Rock Me Mama

Mamou Hour Cajun Band - Jolie Blonde

Eubie Blake - Charleston Rag

NO Ragtime Orchestra - Darktown Strutters Ball

Charles Mingus - Themes from a Movie (piano solo)

Youth Inspirational Choir - Doxology

I used to have it & as I recall it looked better than it sounded.

Should point out that I meant the music on the album didn't stand well compared up to the list of names playing on it.

I agree that some of the tracks are fairly weak. I stand by my editorial comment about the Onward BB.

I don´t know nothing about iTunes since I´m a more old fashioned guy and got to have CDs (and before that LPs). I saw that "Themes from a Movie" on a Mingus discography many many years ago and always wondered what it might be. Since 1976 was the year when Mingus did "Music for Todo Modo" (which was supposed to be a movie score like Cumbia from 1977), maybe it´s some piano sketches from Todo Modo? Like the bonus tracks on Cumbia (Wedding March on piano, two tracks made after the group recording of Cumbia, which is the same little waltz that appears shortly on "three or four shades of blues"