Looking for recs on David Binney cd's

Tom in RI

Again, on ACT, there is 'Balance'. Sporting sidemen such as Jim Black, Uri Caine and Wayne Krantz, it also has some vocals which stay quite minimal and don't appear to be a 'star' turn by Singer du jour.

I've seen him live which was a blast and I doubt that any CD could live up to it in the case of an experimentalist like Binney.

On a recent radio broadcast he recommended a record from Red Records of Italy, which had a tune called 'Civil War'on it. It's called 'Afinidad'.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Tonym

Edited by tonym

• 3 months later...

seeing Binney on Friday with his quartet, should be good, spinning "South" in the car and it reallly is a great disc- good arrangemnts, nice pacing and soloing. I havent heard anything by him that's not been excellent.

Anyone heard his disc on Auand (Italy)?

• 10 months later...

He has a new release on Criss Cross coming out later this month that looks like a winner.

David Binney - Bastion of Sanity (Criss Cross 1261) Feb 22

— David Binney (alto saxophone); Chris Potter (tenor saxophone); Jacob Sacks (piano); Thomas Morgan (double bass); Dan Weiss (drums)

1261.jpg

Label's blurb: "For his Criss Cross debut, alto saxophonist David Binney, known for his episodic, long-form recordings, presents a memorable straight-ahead recital.

"Addressing nine Binney originals and an original apiece by Duke Ellington and Wayne Shorter, Binney and tenor star Chris Potter, backed by Binney's regular rhythm section, pianist Jacob Sacks, bassist Thomas Morgan, and drummer Dan Weiss, uncork a series of heated, lucid solos and achieve a one-instrument sound on the unisons."

Recorded April, 2004 in Brooklyn. 77'13.

Edited by alankin

On a recent radio broadcast he recommended a record from Red Records of Italy, which had a tune called 'Civil War'on it. It's called 'Afinidad'.

There's also a new Binney Cd coming out in March on Red Records. It's a duo with pianist Ed Simon, and it's called Fiestas de Agosto,

Luca

I just picked up "South" recently and wanted to echo the comments above--this is a really superb CD. Great compositions and playing. It reminds me, to an extent, of some of the stuff coming from the Jazz Composer's Collective (Ben Allison in particular). This is a great time for new releases in jazz; it's too bad the major labels are missing out, too busy recording 70s pop stars singing the millionth remake of Gershwin. :o

An added bonus to the Binney CD is a song named after the one and only Von Joshua :tup

thumb_10518.jpg

• 1 month later...

David Binney - Bastion of Sanity (Criss Cross 1261) Feb 22

— David Binney (alto saxophone); Chris Potter (tenor saxophone); Jacob Sacks (piano); Thomas Morgan (double bass); Dan Weiss (drums)

1261.jpg

Label's blurb: "For his Criss Cross debut, alto saxophonist David Binney, known for his episodic, long-form recordings, presents a memorable straight-ahead recital.

"Addressing nine Binney originals and an original apiece by Duke Ellington and Wayne Shorter, Binney and tenor star Chris Potter, backed by Binney's regular rhythm section, pianist Jacob Sacks, bassist Thomas Morgan, and drummer Dan Weiss, uncork a series of heated, lucid solos and achieve a one-instrument sound on the unisons."

Recorded April, 2004 in Brooklyn. 77'13.

I finally got this one sent to me from CD Universe after being backordered for several weeks. I've listened to it twice so far.

This is a very fine release. For those who are familiar with Binney's material, it may seem strange that he's recording on label known for its mainstream "straight ahead" type sound. But what we have here is a recording that successfully pulls off that "inside/outside" feeling that has been discussed recently in other threads, but does so in a completely distinct way.

The first thing that caught my ear right from the start is the rhythm section. I had never heard of Jacob Sacks, Thomas Morgan or Dan Weiss before this date. They are incredible! They swing like mad, but they can also manipulate the feel of the rhythm in a way that makes you feel like you are being pulled backward and shoved forwards at times, coming close to uneasiness. They shape shift in a way that sounds like they are about to mess up the time, but yet it still moves forward with powerful swing. Its hard to describe. The feeling I got listening to their rhythms reminded me a bit of when I saw Ornette Coleman last year with his son on drums and the two bassists. The sound is not completely "free", but not completely "inside" either. Its very weird.....and I love it. I will be watching for these guys in the future.....they are destined to become much more well known.

The front line of David Binney and Chris Potter is obviously loving all of this, and they play with alot of fire spirit. To my ears Chris Potter just keeps getting better and better, and being on the front line with a player like Binney really pushes him hard. Their interaction on this album gives the feeling of an old school blowing session, but on the fringes of the avant garde. Both of them play some of the best solos I've ever heard them play, and the pieces when they play in unison never sound cluttered, but always precise and clean. I found the majority Binney's compositions to be really interesting with a nice modern sound. Overall, I'd say that this is the finest release from Criss Cross in quite a while and will likely be one of my favorites of 2005.

If you like South (I do), you'll like Welcome To Life (Binney, Potter, Taborn, Rogers, Colley, Blade) on Mythology.

http://www.mythologyrecords.com

Many thanks for this tip, jl. I'm very much a Binney fan since being intro'd to his work via "South." And the Criss-Cross release sounds very tasty as well.

Another very strong release IMO is "The Luxury of Guessing" with Uri Caine, Scott Colley, Jeff Hirschfield and Daniel Sadownick.

Edited by James

The first thing that caught my ear right from the start is the rhythm section. I had never heard of Jacob Sacks, Thomas Morgan or Dan Weiss before this date. They are incredible! They swing like mad, but they can also manipulate the feel of the rhythm in a way that makes you feel like you are being pulled backward and shoved forwards at times, coming close to uneasiness. They shape shift in a way that sounds like they are about to mess up the time, but yet it still moves forward with powerful swing. Its hard to describe. The feeling I got listening to their rhythms reminded me a bit of when I saw Ornette Coleman last year with his son on drums and the two bassists. The sound is not completely "free", but not completely "inside" either. Its very weird.....and I love it.

This is a very fine release. For those who are familiar with Binney's material, it may seem strange that he's recording on label known for its mainstream "straight ahead" type sound. But what we have here is a recording that successfully pulls off that "inside/outside" feeling that has been discussed recently in other threads, but does so in a completely distinct way.

The first thing that caught my ear right from the start is the rhythm section. I had never heard of Jacob Sacks, Thomas Morgan or Dan Weiss before this date. They are incredible! They swing like mad, but they can also manipulate the feel of the rhythm in a way that makes you feel like you are being pulled backward and shoved forwards at times, coming close to uneasiness. They shape shift in a way that sounds like they are about to mess up the time, but yet it still moves forward with powerful swing. Its hard to describe. The feeling I got listening to their rhythms reminded me a bit of when I saw Ornette Coleman last year with his son on drums and the two bassists. The sound is not completely "free", but not completely "inside" either. Its very weird.....and I love it. I will be watching for these guys in the future.....they are destined to become much more well known.

The front line of David Binney and Chris Potter is obviously loving all of this, and they play with alot of fire spirit. To my ears Chris Potter just keeps getting better and better, and being on the front line with a player like Binney really pushes him hard. Their interaction on this album gives the feeling of an old school blowing session, but on the fringes of the avant garde. Both of them play some of the best solos I've ever heard them play, and the pieces when they play in unison never sound cluttered, but always precise and clean. I found the majority Binney's compositions to be really interesting with a nice modern sound. Overall, I'd say that this is the finest release from Criss Cross in quite a while and will likely be one of my favorites of 2005.

I agree with sal

a very fine release from criss-cross

:tup

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the April issue of Jazz Review (UK) and noticed that Bastion of Sanity received a glowing review. RD Cook chooses it as a CD of the month and another reviewer writes "Top marks then for what is unquestionably my fave release of the year so far. Biney is a saxophonist who is like no other around at the moment".

All these glowing reviews are bittersweet for me at the moment, however, as I've been waiting for nearly two weeks for my copy to arrive via the dreaded media mail (I've just about run out of patince with the Amazon marketplace sellers and their use of media mail to send a CD even though first class postage is usually nearly the same in cost as media mail ...another story, I know).