2010 MLB Season

Papsrus, sorry, didn't mean to impugn the Rays' win...I was just curious as to what a controversial call might have been about. (The calm, cool heads at Pinstripe Alley :crazy: might have heard wrong, anyway.) Your analysis of TB's recent winning ways makes me feel a tad better about their record...but just a tad. :ph34r:

No worries. There was a dropped fly ball in CF that led to the tying run, which conceivably could have been ruled a catch. (diving attempt. had it for a second then it popped out). That might have been what they were talking about.

Anyways, basically the Rays are barely winning games they really shouldn't be, against teams with much weaker records.

But ... they have beaten Cliff Lee twice already and they're managing to pull out these games with some gaping holes in the lineup. So, they're basically doing it with pitching and defense. The bullpen has been sturdier than in years past. Putting a positive spin on things, once those bats eventually do come around and they're not getting perfected by Get-Off-My-Mound guy, they should be fine.

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, couldn't watch the 10 PM baseball tonight(Some stoopid game between...I forget who, ran til 11 pm) but saw the late show, and there was a bang-bang play at 1st, slow mo made it look like the Rays player might have been out, but way too close to tell when they showed it in real time. He's the runner who scored the winning run in the 11th.

Ghost, Paps is really, really dumb. When he threw his split a fair bit, 2-3 years ago, he was truly unhittable. Only excuse is that throwing it hurts his arm. Plus, instead of throwing 96-98, every hit was on a 92 MPH pitch(one showed 94, but Karl Ravech said under gun showed 92) who can get guys out throwing only 92 fastballs...not named Mariano???

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, all the talent in the world, but I bet a lot of Red Sox fans can't be too sorry they don't have Hanley Ramirez...just not a winner.

First, the play he jogged after that allowed a least one runner to score than wouldn't have otherwise.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8077975&topic_id=8878534&c_id=fla

Now, check out what the idiot said about his manager, and fellow players!

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2010/05/18/hanley-ramirez-wont-apologize-to-florida-marlins-teammates-lost-little-bit-of-respect-for-manager/

Well, all the talent in the world, but I bet a lot of Red Sox fans can't be too sorry they don't have Hanley Ramirez...just not a winner.

First, the play he jogged after that allowed a least one runner to score than wouldn't have otherwise.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8077975&topic_id=8878534&c_id=fla

Now, check out what the idiot said about his manager, and fellow players!

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2010/05/18/hanley-ramirez-wont-apologize-to-florida-marlins-teammates-lost-little-bit-of-respect-for-manager/

What an ass. Trade him to the Royals.

Last night was a pitching disaster saved by some timely ninth inning hitting. Tonight was another pitching disaster without the heroics. No matter how you slice a 1-1 split with the Red Sox, there have to be major concerns about the bullpen. Again tonight, Girardi lets someone go who is struggling to find even his B game. How is it you leave Chamberlain in the game when he was firing nothing but blanks. I'm lost.

Last night was a pitching disaster saved by some timely ninth inning hitting. Tonight was another pitching disaster without the heroics. No matter how you slice a 1-1 split with the Red Sox, there have to be major concerns about the bullpen. Again tonight, Girardi lets someone go who is struggling to find even his B game. How is it you leave Chamberlain in the game when he was firing nothing but blanks. I'm lost.

It's definitely the big weakness in this team--and we've had two losses in a row now that resulted from a Joba-Mo meltdown, the combo that should be the most reliable. (Is Joba doomed to be a mercurial reliever w/New York? Brilliant one night, surrendering runs left and right the next?) Untimely fielding errors tonight too by last night's heroes (A-Rod and Thames--Thames, who certainly makes valuable contributions at the plate, but who's a disaster waiting to happen every time he plays in the field). If we keep throwing away 5-run leads, we'll never catch Tampa Bay.

Damn. The baseball gods took out their revenge on Doc Halladay after my earlier post today. I can't believe he lost. To the Pirates. The Pirates.

One of the many reasons baseball is the best sport there is! The Worst team in baseball(which the Pirates are not right now, just checked Brewers and Astros have worse records, in their division) can beat the best team, or the best pitcher, on any given night.

Thames just injured himself running up the line and the Yanks now have not a SINGLE player available from the bench...Pena will be playing RF next inning. :ph34r: Granderson is still out till the end of this month at the earliest, Posada's injury may be worse than they thought, and Swisher's status is day-to-day.

Someone please take Kerry Wood away, please. Snatching defeat from the hands of victory by intentionally walking and then untintentionally walking batters near the bottom of the Royals order. Oh, and now a bases loaded double for Betancourt. ...good night

Some teams would be able to dip into their farm system to get help. Unfortunately, the Yankees aren't one of them.

Tonight's game was another bullpen let down. Logan and Melancon combined to pitch 2 1/3 innings, giving up six hits and four runs in the process. That's not exactly what I'd call shutting the door. Had they pitched effectively, it could have gotten a lot more interesting.

I am not liking what I'm seeing. The Yanks have a lot of problems and I'm not just talking about injuries.