2010 MLB Season

I was thinking more along the lines of Javy. OTOH we might need to save him for playing the outfield...

You want to hear depressing. Vazquez in the Mariner DH spot would probably

be an upgrade over Jr.

2010 Griffey .183/.245/.204

career Vazquez .207/.238/.247

Okay Yankee fans, I think we M's fans have topped ya in the misery dept.! :(

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking more along the lines of Javy. OTOH we might need to save him for playing the outfield...

You want to hear depressing. Vazquez in the Mariner DH spot would probably

be an upgrade over Jr.

2010 Griffey .183/.245/.204

career Vazquez .207/.238/.247

Okay Yankee fans, I think we M's fans have topped ya in the misery dept.! :(

Perhaps the Mariners will put Griffey in Center for old times sake, and he will collide with Bradley, and they both end up on the disabled list! Just trying to cheer you guys up! :rhappy:

Well, cheer up...the braves looked to be the worst team in baseball a week or so ago, and have just defeated the Reds 2 days straight, taking a page from their book and coming from behind(well, ok a tie yesterday, but the braves were up 4-0 at one point)both days...Braves down 9-3 in the 9th today,somehow scored 7 to win the game, including an opposite field grand slam by Brooks Conrad off of Reds closer Cordero

Check out the video clip to the right and see how Conrad thought the ball was caught, and almost walked off the field!

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300520115&teams=cincinnati-reds-vs-atlanta-braves

Perhaps the Mariners will put Griffey in Center for old times sake, and he will collide with Bradley, and they both end up on the disabled list! Just trying to cheer you guys up! :rhappy:

Woo hoo! After making the cruel comparison The Kid gets a game winning PH single in the 9th!

Well isn't this special. Along with everything else that's breaking down, the Yankee's starting pitching is looking more than a little suspect over the last week. Tonight it's formerly reliable Andy Pettitte's turn to dial up his ERA. Great.

Yep--Tampa Bay cleaned our clocks over these two games and is clearly the superior team right now. And even if we had Posada/Granderson/Nick Johnson, I'm not sure there'd be much of a difference...we've been losing this past week because our pitching--both starters and bullpen--has been imploding in one way or another every single game. If it wasn't for the miracle comeback Monday night against Boston, we would've dropped 5 straight at home at this point. And Javy's starting tomorrow against the Mets--who knows how that will go, but it couldn't be much worse than what we've had the last few games. (With the exception of CC, who had a great start go to waste because of the bullpen.)

Kind of weird to be saying that the Red Sox are out of it before Memorial Day but some writers are already thinking it maybe too late for the Red Sox this year.

I think they still have a shot at the WC. The Red Sox need to win the next two games vs. the Phillies. If they can take 2 of 3 vs. the Rays next week they have a cream puff of a schedule for 2 weeks after that - 4 at home vs. KC, followed by 3 at home vs. Oakland, on the road for 3 @ Baltimore and 4 at Cleveland.

MLB needs to redo the Interleague scheduling format. They should follow the NFL model where you have one division play all the teams in another division. The way things are right now the Red Sox are getting screwed. They have 6 games vs. the Phillies and who do the Yanks get for 6?? The Mets. Yanks also have 3 games vs. the team w/ the worst record in MLB - the Astros.

Interleague match ups:

Red Sox - Phils 6 games, home for 3 vs. Arizona & L.A., 3 on the road vs. Colorado and SF.

Yankees - Mets 6 games, home for 3 vs. Astros & Philly, and 3 @ Arizona & 3 @ L.A.

So basically they have the same Interleague schedule except the Sox have 9 games vs. the Phillies/Giants and the the Yanks have 9 vs. the Mets/Astros.

Phils/Giants combined record 48-34

Mets/Astros combined record 35-50

Kind of weird to be saying that the Red Sox are out of it before Memorial Day but some writers are already thinking it maybe too late for the Red Sox this year.

Even the hopeful example brings up unpleasantness to a Red Sox fan:

"Just like the 2010 Red Sox, the (1975) Reds were 19-20 after 39 games. The rest is history -- albeit one Red Sox fans would rather forget. Cincinnati finished with 108 wins on the way to the title."

Of course if this year's Red Sox team ended up like the '75 Reds, both with a title and everlasting respect, I'm sure the fans could deal with the memories of the '75 series being brought up again.

I think they still have a shot at the WC. The Red Sox need to win the next two games vs. the Phillies. If they can take 2 of 3 vs. the Rays next week they have a cream puff of a schedule for 2 weeks after that - 4 at home vs. KC, followed by 3 at home vs. Oakland, on the road for 3 @ Baltimore and 4 at Cleveland.

MLB needs to redo the Interleague scheduling format. They should follow the NFL model where you have one division play all the teams in another division. The way things are right now the Red Sox are getting screwed. They have 6 games vs. the Phillies and who do the Yanks get for 6?? The Mets. Yanks also have 3 games vs. the team w/ the worst record in MLB - the Astros.

Interleague match ups:

Red Sox - Phils 6 games, home for 3 vs. Arizona & L.A., 3 on the road vs. Colorado and SF.

Yankees - Mets 6 games, home for 3 vs. Astros & Philly, and 3 @ Arizona & 3 @ L.A.

So basically they have the same Interleague schedule except the Sox have 9 games vs. the Phillies/Giants and the the Yanks have 9 vs. the Mets/Astros.

Phils/Giants combined record 48-34

Mets/Astros combined record 35-50

I just wished that they would do away with inter-league play, it was a terrible idea (along with the DH) to begin with, and now it has outlived it usefulness. Old fogey talk here, but go back to the way baseball was before the DH & inter-league play, and I would be very happy.

They are royally fucked and don't stand a chance in hell.

Which is why I am happy I never paid the $100 for MLB.TV and will be spending plenty of time doing other things rather than following a flawed team give tiny, doomed glimpses of hope they might make it to October.

Here's my prediction: They never get higher than 5 games over .500, and they finish with 83 wins.

Mark Teixera may play an excellent first base, but truth be told, he absolutely sucks at the plate this year. Continually strikes out, often on bad pitches, or when making contact, it's either a weak fly ball or a ground out. I know the Yankee lineup is depleted due to injuries, but I would drop Teix down in the batting order until he starts to hit. He's a liability hitting third, snuffing out rallies left and right (handed).

The Yankee's season is spiraling into total disarray. Injuries, poor and untimely hitting, all-of-a-sudden shaky starting pitching and an unreliable bullpen are turning 2010 into a death march. Losing two of three to the hapless Mets shines an even brighter light on the myriad problems that beset this team. Mark Texiera is a mess. Now that his history of poor April performances has been expanded to include the month of May, I'm not sure what you do with him. What I do know is that you can't have anyone hitting third in the order who is this unproductive. Everyone talks about the injuries, but you have to ask yourself, would Jorge Posada playing full-time be putting up any better numbers than Francisco Cervelli? Would Curtis Granderson, who everyone seems to forget was hitting a lamentable .252 when he was injured, really make that big a difference? Other questions. Are we witnessing the beginning of the inevitable decline and fall of Derek Jeter? Is the chemically unenhanced, 2010 version of A-Rod a doppelganger for David Ortiz? Right now I'm as down on the Yankees as I've been in quite a while. I just don't see this team as it's currently configured making much noise over the long haul. Further, wasting a season like they're starting to waste this one is something they can ill afford given the overall age of the team.